CrazyBoards.org

sweet dreams?

It's been 4, almost 5 months since I was diagnosed bipolar NOS (meds available in my signature below), and since then I have been plagued by some really weird-ass dreams. They usually occur in the morning (5am onward mostly) and seem to feed off a wide variety of input. TV shows I watched the night before, old family baggage, fears and worries, could be anything, really. Besides going ON medication, the biggest change has been going OFF hormonal birth control, which I will never take again for a variety of reasons. Another odd thing about these dreams is that they restart if I wake up and go back to sleep, repeatedly sometimes, which I find really strange. Prior to ditching the birth control and starting the meds, it was odd for me to dream at all. At the very least, I didn't *remember* my dreams at all. In any case, I was curious if anyone else had experienced a radical shift in how they dream upon A) being diagnosed, B) changing/going on meds, or C) ditching hormonal birth control (obviously not really applicable to the men). I'd also be interested in anything you did, purposefully or accidentally, that put the brakes on the dream action or altered it in any way. I could really do without some of the images my brain is conjuring lately. O_o Yes, I'll be mentioning all this to the pdoc when I see him next week.

I vote Trazadone for funky dreams.

Can you control your activities in your dreams? I am a lucid dreamer (often), and most of my lucid dreams are nightmares. Unfortunately, I realize I am dreaming, and take actions in the dream to try to wake myself up, but it never works, and in fact usually gets scarier once I realize I can't wake myself up. BUT, I think some people on here who are lucid dreamers can wake themselves up.

I vote Trazadone for funky dreams.

Can you control your activities in your dreams? I am a lucid dreamer (often), and most of my lucid dreams are nightmares. Unfortunately, I realize I am dreaming, and take actions in the dream to try to wake myself up, but it never works, and in fact usually gets scarier once I realize I can't wake myself up. BUT, I think some people on here who are lucid dreamers can wake themselves up.

I do seem to have at least some lucidity in my dreams, which may be contributing to the restarting of dreams when I fall back asleep. I'm not sure it's the trazodone, though, as I've actually been reducing how much of it I take, and my dream activity is going up. My husband suggested I may be experiencing *normal* brain activity for the first time in my life, given that I've only been diagnosed/treated for 4-5 months, and as such it seems weird to me.

Medication definitely affects my dream frequency and vividness, though I'm not on mood stabilizers just yet. I've noticed also that I'm more likely to dream vividly and remember what I dreamed when I'm in a hypomanic state of mind, which is interesting though not entirely relevant...

Seroquel causes funky weird dreams for me when I first start it, and it then usually stops within 2--4 weeks.

Both meds and psych. dx can mess with your dream state, I too dream more vividly when I'm unstable in either direction.

There is a specific med, I'm not sure of the name, that blocks dreaming, and is sometimes given to PTSD folks for that purpose. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of it, but you might ask your doc about it, if it's that bothersome to you.

That being said, unless you are rock solid loving your med regimen, I think it might make more sense to give your brain time to adjust, and/or look at some med changes, perhaps, rather than adding another med just to combat that particular side effect.

Glad you're gonna address with doc, that seems the reasonable thing to do.

My brain absolutely hated traz, fwiw. I couldn't sleep on it; just stumbled around feeling drunk and walking into walls, yet awake. I don't think there is one particular med noted for vivid dreaming, it seems to be an individual thing for people, more or less.

Anna

Medication definitely affects my dream frequency and vividness, though I'm not on mood stabilizers just yet. I've noticed also that I'm more likely to dream vividly and remember what I dreamed when I'm in a hypomanic state of mind, which is interesting though not entirely relevant...

Actually, that's completely relevant and interesting to me, as I don't dream so vividly at all times of the month and my mood shifts are definitely tied to my cycle. Thanks for pointing that out!

As far as I can remember, zopiclone is supposed to stop dreaming. I have been relying on it for a long tme to getany sleep at all and still dreamt all the time. Since adding trazodone (at a much lower dose than you), they have gotten more vivid.

So in other words, its a crap shoot on what will work for you.

I've gone on and off Seroquel a few times to test this. The first few weeks as mentioned above, wild dreams. The most notably ones are when I wake up from a bad dream and start talking to my wife about it only to realize after a bit that I'm still asleep and this is another dream. This realization will wake me up and I'll start to talking to my wife about the experience, only to realize I'm still dreaming. This can go on and on for several iterations until I start getting into lucid dreaming and I'll begin testing the situation when I "think" I've just woken up to see if I really have. It's wild. This lucid dreaming ability will then stay with me. It's really taught me a lot about my Id.

Archived