CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
suzz

If I knew then what I know now...

I was thinking what might be helpful for the newly diagnosed among us. Then what would have been helpful to me.

If I knew then what I know now:

I would definitely do more research on the medications and the way bipolar works. I think I had way too much trust in my pdoc.

Also for some reason, I felt that since bipolar was a chemical imbalance I didn't need to get therepy. Now I see how badly needed someone to walk me through acceptance of the diagnosis and life medicated.

How about you?

Totally feel ya there. If I had known then what I know now, I would have refused being put on Risperdal after being taken off Vyvanse cold turkey. I would have insisted to the doctor that I was way too manic (I'm not even bipolar) and out of control because I had been unknowingly placed on twice the max recommended dosage of Vyvanse. In fact, I never would have even had to go to the hospital, because I would have refused to go much over 70 mg of Vyvanse! I think back to all the antipsychotics I was on and how they messed up my body, and then we find that I never even close to needed them... This weight loss I'm doing lately? It's great, and I feel accomplished. But I never would have had to do this. I would have also wanted to discuss my diagnoses more in depth instead of believing every little thing. 7 or so diagnoses in 2 years? Crazy. But this is hindsight at it's finest, no? :)

I wouldn't have waited nearly 30 years before seeking treatment. If you're in your teens, and suspect you might be developing some form of MI, please, seek help immediately.

Guest Vapourware

Yes, I would put research on my list as well. Another thing is I would have been more open with my treatment team, especially when I first started looking for treated. If I was more open, I might have been diagnosed correctly earlier and saved myself a lot of angst.

I wouldn't change a thing. This journey has had its ups and downs and its way ups and way downs - but it has been one hell of a quest to find myself and I like who I found. Who I found was shaped by the journey of discovery.

I was really only just diagnosed with bipolar about a month ago, but it's been a long time coming, in my opinion. I think if I could change anything, I would've been honest with my psychiatrist and the therapists I have had over the years right away... First of all, chances are my antidepressants probably would be at the right place... and second of all, it would've helped with a diagnosis. But sometimes it's so hard to tell the truth. I have this fear I'm being judged.<div><br></div><div>&lt;3</div>

i would have trusted my instincts about my health care providers. specifically, i would have walked away from every GP/pdoc/tdoc who gave either advice or medication based on explanations i KNEW to be false (instead of trusting that they had some special knowledge that laypeople are not privy to, regardless of research).

I would have sought out more help in my teens if I had known the extent to which I would be ill.

I would have not spent five years with my same pdoc without getting better. And, I would have insisted on staying in the hospitals until they got it right and I got better. Good topic.

I know I'm not BP, but I feel this thread resonates a lot with me too. :)

If I'd have known that my thought control was a symptom, and not just something annoying that everyone experienced, then I could have gotten help much earlier.

If I'd have recognised my delusions for what they were, then I would have not acted in the same way and probably never have gotten depressed either.

If I had tried AP's the first time I was offered them (a couple of years ago), then I might be much further along the road to recovery.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if only we could have it when it is needed (when whatever is happening is actually happening). I really do hate that annoying 'lack of insight' symptom.

I regret trying ultram for tx resistant depression. Although that first month was AWESOME. I also regret not listening to my own inner voice more when docs are trying to convince me to do something..... like try abilify for the second time when the first time was bad, or trying SSRIs again when the first time was bad.....

It's hard to say I need to be more of a bitch patient than I already am, but mostly I regret things about my SA hx, not my bp hx, other than bad med decisions that most often, were suggested by my docs. Hmm.

Anna

I had a pdoc I first saw when clearly manic and highly paranoid/delusional that said I just had depression and gave me double the recommended max dose of lexapro. That was pretty horrible. But then I saw a different pdoc, got diagnosed, got smarter (on myself or where to turn for info). Now I feel comfortable saying I wanted to drop the awful zyprexa from a year ago (and here's why:). Or why I feel two AD's aren't good for me for anything, muchless migraines AND depression.

It's been a bumpy journey, but I've learned so much (good and bad) that I couldn't refuse doing it again.

I'd kick everybody's ass until I got GOOD treatment for my depression while I was still a teenager.

I wouldn't have waited nearly 30 years before seeking treatment. If you're in your teens, and suspect you might be developing some form of MI, please, seek help immediately.

This. This x 1000. I waited too long to start meds and now my brain is stuck in perma-depressed mode. (This happens when you have episode after episode without any medical treatment--eventually your brain says "fuck it" and just stays in mental illness mode as a default.) The best I can hope for is to control my symptoms. The depression will never just "go away".