CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Coma

Can you predict when you're about to fall in a really deep depression?

Just curious. If so how do you know? Is it just a feeling, or little weird things you start doing/thinking about?

I usually can. It sort of feels like that electric, still period right before a big storm. My head will be oddly calm. (with brief interludes of intense anger or sleepiness) I'll usually start throwing out a bunch of my stuff, eating strangely/stop eating, and driving really badly because my mind starts falling apart, basically. Loopy. And I'll think and read about death constantly. Drowning reports. On the rare occasion I cut it is always during that period.

I am in this state now and am very worried since my living situation is changing rapidly because I'm moving, and if I do not find a job in a month I will likely have to live in my car because I would be too ashamed to ask for help.

I sort of can. But it's not an exact science. I can always look back after an episode has become severe and say "yes, that was my prodrome" but I can't always tell the difference WHILE it's happening between a transient mood thing and my prodrome.

I'm getting better at it, though. I can't describe it exactly, but there's a certain feeling that means something bad is coming.

For me, it's when I start to seriously isolate socially, and can't get engaged with anything - books, movies, conversations. I'm not great at recognizing when a depression's on its way though. Upswings are much easier to spot.

I can often sense that it's about to come. why whole attitude and everything just changes all of a sudden.

I wish I could. It just slowly creeps up on me, and then it builds to a point where it's severe enough that I KNOW it's depression. Though, I feel like I'm always a little bit depressed, and maybe that's why it's hard to tell if I'm about to have an episode.

Guest Vapourware

Usually when things get bad, the world seems to have turned into mud. Everything gets very hard to do, I get very apathetic and my suicidal ideation escalates. I also isolate myself socially and would find it very hard to have conversations with people.

I'm with Tryp... I have great hindsight. I'm usually well entrentched in it before I really know - or maybe before I will admit it even to myself. Even though I DO start socially isolating, I don't really realize it at the time. I also start to cry a whole lot more - about stupid shit that's not necessarily appropriate to cry about. I get unusually obsessive also - but I sort of liken that to my emotional immune system being low & allowing my other issues to creep in & have more control than they can when I'm not depressed / getting depressed.

I'm getting better in my old age with recognizing the signs - but, not really much better about denying what's happening until, like I said, I'm deeply entrenched & it feels like everything is falling apart around me.

Yeah it can be harder to predict if you're already depressed by default, and there's always those *very special* episodes that are even worse than you could ever predict... Hmm reminds me, panic attacks seem to be the least predictable of them all but I suppose that's a subject for another topic.

Yeah it can be harder to predict if you're already depressed by default, and there's always those *very special* episodes that are even worse than you could ever predict... Hmm reminds me, panic attacks seem to be the least predictable of them all but I suppose that's a subject for another topic.

heh - easiest to predict for me. I know when they are likely anyway. I pretty much have my triggers nailed down on that. Migraines, hangovers, dehydration and occasionally air conditioning all result in panic attacks for me. And way back in the day - coming down off heavy recreational drugs of the upper variety...

I can never tell because it's too gradual. I'll start to recognize my behavior after it's been happening for a while.

I've become fairly hypervigilant these days. I notice if I start calling in sick when I just want to stay in bed, or spend a day on the weekend in my p.j.s and not brushing my hair. I work really hard at all the annoying goody-two shoes crap to stay out of the abyss - regular sleep schedule, decent food, exercise, time spent outside under the sky most days, etc. But they do work, even as I grumble my way through them.

For me, it's when I start to seriously isolate socially, and can't get engaged with anything - books, movies, conversations. I'm not great at recognizing when a depression's on its way though. Upswings are much easier to spot.

I am the same.

I too have a harder time with depression.... I'm usually pretty bad once i realize it's "bad". But for me, my signs are isolating, and reading obsessively to take evil bad depressive thoughts out of my head.....

Anna

My stomach starts hurting and I get really tired, like i feel like I could sleep for days and not feel any better. My self esteem plummets and all I can think about is what kind of drugs I could take to make it go away. It feels like it won't ever go away. But yeah, the fatigue and nausea are usually the first clues.

This is a really hard question for me. Even though I've written out the answer time and time again, I always forget and unfortunately it's something I feel is really important. So, then I feel like "oh my god, an episode of depression might come over me and I wouldn't even notice!" Which is ... bullshit, really.

What would I do if I were getting depressed:

• isolate isolate isolate
  • sleep all the time
  • not talk to people even if they talk to me first
  • forget to take my medication (or do it on purpose)

I usually don't notice changes in my downward mood spiral until it starts getting pretty bad.

The stage I begin to be aware of it is when I start sleeping a lot more, shower less and start to think about suicide (not doing it.. just about it in a questioning form)

Most of the time it gets to that point and then either slowly moves back up or once in a while swings to either mixed or mania.

The next step I know for me is being suicidal and hospital stay is likely.

Wish I could catch it sooner.. maybe some day I will be able to.

This is really one of those "ah ha (but not the band from the 80's)" moments.

So many of you have posted signs here and I go "hey, that is me, that is me..." but I never recognise them as being indicators or the "big fkn Tsunami" - I think this thread alone has saved me about R12 000.00 in therapy bills.

I do realise this stuff is pretty much MI 101, but sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time to hear it.

Dude, my earth just moved ..... a little bit.

For me, it's when I start to seriously isolate socially, and can't get engaged with anything - books, movies, conversations. I'm not great at recognizing when a depression's on its way though. Upswings are much easier to

spot.

I read between 1 - 3 books a week, have not been able to follow a book in ages, only watch 30 minute shows because I can't follow a movie. I cannot believe I couldn't see the signs ......and they were going off like Vegas lights ....

isolate isolate isolate

not talk to people even if they talk to me first

<li>

Oh dear ......

I see I see.

I am now in a particularly bad episode. The biggest thing is I become an even bigger hermit/recluse than normal and become unable to have conversations with anyone because I just cannot remember how. Not that it has ever been intuitive anyway.

The tiniest changes in my routine, caused by other people, are excruciating. And all of my body dysphoria becomes extreme. I am unnerved by the fact that I have a body attached to me and that I somehow live inside it even though it looks so horribly wrong and alien.

I think of suicide constantly, not plans, but thinking of it in a detached way. In the same way one might think about a mundane event in the somewhat distant future that they're not sure if they're going to attend or not. If that makes any sense at all. I want to crawl into a hole and go to sleep.

and all incoming stimuli is jumbled and feels far away. It is a bit like floating in static. everything is far away yet much too loud.

Totally forgot to mention hygiene going completely out the window. (I remember there being some threads about that in the past) It's very hard to remember, anyway. But these things mess with my sense of time and my memory. It is very easy not to shower. Showering seems very exhausting. I'm amazed at how easily most most "normal" people manage to remember to do all these tiny little things, and sleep and wake at regular times.

I have dysthymia, so my depression fluctuates often and it's hard to tell. Usually isolating myself more is a sure sign, as well as eating much less or more. That's pretty much it for me. Sleep used to be a sign, but my sleep has been so screwed for over a year that it's no longer an indicator.