CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
tryp

Online Peer-Led DBT Class

This is a resource that a number of our members have found useful: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/dbtclass/

It is a closed group, so you have to apply for admission, and you need a Yahoo ID (these are free). When you apply, they basically just ask you what your level of experience is with DBT, and whether you're committed to learning. I don't think they tend to turn people away, though they are geared towards people with BPD, so I don't know how they would view people with other disorders.

The group is led by people who have been through DBT. They have compiled and posted the notes and exercises that were given in their DBT class. Every week, they email out a lesson which is the lesson for the week, and an associated homework. You do the homework and post it to the group message board, and a moderator will respond. I have been on this list for about a year and from what I've seen, they usually just give positive reinforcement and encouragement. I've never seen them say anything negative about anyone's practice.

You can join at any time - you just start with whatever skill the group is doing at the moment and keep going until you cycle back to the beginning.

This group is NOT a substitute for professional therapy or for an actual in person DBT group. However, if you do not have access to DBT for whatever reason, and are trying to teach yourself the skills, or if you have done DBT in the past and want to keep your hand in, it is a useful resource.

If anyone has a negative or problematic experience with this group, please let us know so that we can re-evaluate recommending it. However, I do know that several of our members have found it helpful in the past.

• Like 1

this is pretty cool. i'm in dbt right now, but when I finish, i might join up, just to keep my hand in. i'm so bad for accountability, sigh.

anna

Thanks for the link. I signed up, was approved, and just posted my first HW assignment. Yippee! I did in-person DBT before, got a lot out of it, and have recognized my need for skill refreshing but haven't found an appropriate and/or affordable group in my new city yet. While I can read my workbook again on my own, this seems like a great way to kick me in the ass to review my much-needed skills (like what anna said about accountability).

Edited for: atrocious grammar and missing words

Edited by Lady Krazy Kat

Thanks for this information, tryp. I'm thinking of signing up since I'm on a waiting list for DBT IRL. Also, the kitty in your pic looks a lot like one of my kitties, which is to say, very cute. :)

I would also like to point out that there is now a really quite good iPod Touch/iPad DBT App - it's called DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach. There is another one floating around for about $10, but this one is $5 and from what I have used of it so far it is quite complete and a useful prompt if you are part of a skills training group or working on the skills somehow.

It has a complete diary card tracker so you can do your diary cards on your iPod, a place to take notes to help you remember things about the week and the skills that you want to bring up in group/your homework, a "coaching" section that lists all the skills and suggestions on how to use them. You can also program in your own skills and "911 skills". In "911 skills" you can program in a list of apps or music on your iPod that you use for emergency distraction, and phone numbers/contacts of people you can call in a crisis.

I am going to give it a try - it seems good so far. This is not an official endorsement or anything - just something that looks like it might be interesting. I guess they have an app for everything these days...

Edited by tryp

I have been a member of this group for over three years and have found it very helpful.  :D Make sure you elect to choose the option to receive only daily notification and not instant notification emails or otherwise you will receives LOTS of emails!