CrazyBoards.org

OK, here's the scoop. I'm on SSDI and get $1500/month. I have to pay $500/month for insurance from my former employer (I'm on COBRA).

I went to the Job and Family Services office to apply for a medical card and I was told that I'd have to meet a $1000/month spend-down if I decided to pursue the Medicaid. Needless to say, that was not an option for me.

I live with my fiance who is a construction worker but we are not married. I had to list his salary, all of our expenses, etc. There is NO WAY that we could afford to live if I'm shelling out $1k in medical expenses, leaving me with only $500 to contribute to our living expenses.

I have to have insurance; I'm diagnosed with BP, MDD, GAD and borderline. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try to apply for Medicaid again?

APPLY AGAIN AND AGAIN! Its a lie you do not have to include his salary. Only if your married. They cant have it both ways... you dont get marrige and tax benefits and they cannot include his salary! BTW 1,500 is a lot... dont let them take it back!

How long have you been on SSDI/been eligible for SSDI?

I thought after two years one was eligible for medicare, but I don't know how far from that you are, when your eligibility date was.

Thank you both for responding. I've been on SSDI for a year. And yes, Luna, you are correct; Medicare after 2 years.

$1500 is a lot but I made in the mid 40s at my old job and I think they based my benefit on that amount. I don't know though.

<div>See if there's a program for SMI individuals. The state may cover your mental health care and you may be able to find a county program to cover your health.</div><div><br></div>

I received SSDI and I now work so in my state I pay a premium to have Medicaid. Before I started working, I was receiving unemployment which was like $1250/month and I couldn't afford COBRA through my employer or to get a private policy.

What happened was when I was in the state hospital, I was found to be SMI in my state. That means that the state paid for all my mental health care: the hospital visit, my medications, my blood work, my doctor's appointments, etc. I got my regular medical through a county program which subsidized the cost of my care at least 80% (labs they covered 100%).

In a couple months, I'll be eligible for medicare and then I'll be responsible for paying for my own medications, but I'll still be able to buy into to Medicaid.

Edited by snugglepuss

Yeah, medicaid can be tricky as there are slightly different rules in each state. I would recommend starting with your local social services office and or health dept to see if there are any SMI (seriously mentally ill) free care programs that are available to you for psych stuff. many states do have them and they can be quite good.

Anna

I am doing a medicaid appeal and my representative will be presenting my dr hospital, medication, etc history. Monday, New Years Eve day, I had my smi eval. I left with a loooong progress note that I can bring to the medicail appeal to show that we are working toward a ssdi.  As I understand it, Medicaid is for ssi, and Medicare is for ssdi.  Medicare kicks in two years after person has been desingated as disables.  It covers part A (100% hospitalization, part B (80% dr visits.  Part D (meds) is not covered. SSA graciously deducts approx $100 per month for medicare.  We all need a Gap coverage that will pay the other 20% of Part B and medication. Some people call it a supplement.

Snugglepuss, you in AZ+

Tj's mom