this may cure the self pity funk Im in

Hi all,

I wasnt looking for a forum, but came across it while looking up information on meds for my 17 yr old son. I have anxiety and depression, which usually is managed preety well with meds, celexa, buspar, xanax. Its my son that is really suffering. Hes been diagnosed with major anxiety and depression. Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, Celexa, Paxil have all wreaked havoc with him...put him in the hospital twice. Now hes showing symptoms of OCD, hypochondria, which is making things worse. Hes getting worse and I feel lilke Im loosing my grip. ive been reading about Tricyclic Meds for him because I read about how SSI's can actually trigger bipolar disorder if the teen is very anxious and has family history of bipolar...if thats true, it's too late. He has horrible violent outbursts followed by severe depression and self loathing.

Advice, comments, criticism...anyone?

Thanks

Well, just to get this out of the way, we're not crazy about doing third party support around here. It's primarily a forum for people immediately suffering from MI and not people who are caretakers of someone with MI. We can offer you all the support we can give but are open about our limitations as far as being able to help with your son's situation. Without being able to talk to him and observe him, it's simply not possible for us to offer much by way of meaningful advice in that area. I'm sure plenty of people will try to do their best, but primarily we are here for you and not your son.

That said, any medication that operates on serotonin is as likely to induce mania as any other. Most TCAs are also SRAs, with the notable exception of desipramine.

The two things that help the most with OCD are high dose SSRIs and anti-psychotics. It is often necessary to take some kind of mood stabilizer, be it an antipsychotic or an anti-convulsant in able to counter the mania inducing side effects of the SSRIs. It's a long road and it can take a lot of trial and error to find a cocktail that works.

I have OCD, recurrent depression, and ADHD (plus some other shit). It took me nearly 15 years to find a cocktail that allowed me to be mostly functional. My situation was complicated by not having any insurance for the past ten years though.

Anyway, we're here for you and can offer you all the support we can give, but we can't tell you what to do about your son's condition though. We can offer factual information and that's about it. Sorry.

Well, just to get this out of the way, we're not crazy about doing third party support around here. It's primarily a forum for people immediately suffering from MI and not people who are caretakers of someone with MI. We can offer you all the support we can give but are open about our limitations as far as being able to help with your son's situation. Without being able to talk to him and observe him, it's simply not possible for us to offer much by way of meaningful advice in that area. I'm sure plenty of people will try to do their best, but primarily we are here for you and not your son.

That said, any medication that operates on serotonin is as likely to induce mania as any other. Most TCAs are also SRAs, with the notable exception of desipramine.

The two things that help the most with OCD are high dose SSRIs and anti-psychotics. It is often necessary to take some kind of mood stabilizer, be it an antipsychotic or an anti-convulsant in able to counter the mania inducing side effects of the SSRIs. It's a long road and it can take a lot of trial and error to find a cocktail that works.

I have OCD, recurrent depression, and ADHD (plus some other shit). It took me nearly 15 years to find a cocktail that allowed me to be mostly functional. My situation was complicated by not having any insurance for the past ten years though.

Anyway, we're here for you and can offer you all the support we can give, but we can't tell you what to do about your son's condition though. We can offer factual information and that's about it. Sorry.

Hi, Thanks for reply Elvis.

Thanks for setting me straight :). We care takers do have some issues with bounderies sometimes. Things get twisted. Also, thanks for the information on the meds, I really appreciate it. He has appt with doc and Id like to be able to ask questions and discuss different med options, instead of him throwing more shit on the wall just to see if it'll stick. I know you cant possibly diagnose him, I guess Im just looking for honest information.

Thanks again

Archived