CrazyBoards.org

That is weird. All the pdocs I've ever gone to have told me that 200mg is the max Lamictal they will prescribe. i've never gone higher than 200.

The carbamazapine that you are taking can reduce serum levels of Lamictal. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1885026/ (2005).  So your functional dose may be lower than your actual dose.

I am only on 225mg, but I took a lower dose for some time with no results.  It wasn't until I had serum levels within the range for epilepsy that I saw any benefit.

I'm on 400mg. I am wobbly on this dose. I am better on than off, but still pretty unstable. I would feel comfortable discussing 600mg with my pdoc if it were worse than this, because my husband is on 600mg for epilepsy. But I personally think beyond 400 won't make a difference for me. It definitely works for some people.

I've been on 450/day of Lamictal for several years now and I take it as a single dose at night. I'm currently also taking 40mg Lexapro and 20mg of Saphris, both of those in a single dose at night as well. I'm about to need some tweaking and am considering asking about a higher dose of Lamictal.

I was on 300 and it worked but I had some cognitive issues. I took a break from it to try Li, that didn't work, now I'm back on 200 mg and its working nicely!!

Actually, someone posted about a drug-drug interaction; this is very valid.  I am on 600, but it is because I take a medicine that reduces Lamictal by 80%.  

Another factor influencing this is simply your genetics:  what is the make-up of your liver digestive enzymes.  It may just be that your liver chops up Lamictal fast and thus blood concentration and effect is low.  

In any event, there is a "Lamictal Level" blood test.  That'll tell you how much ends up in your blood.  It should be a minimum of 4.0 mcg/mL3 up to 20.0...so thing between 4 and 20.  

Best of luck!

I recently went from 600 mg to 400 mg because I started taking the ODT lamictal, which is not generic.  For some reason I either wasn't absorbing the pill form very well, or because it was a generic.  I guess it could be from other medications, but pdoc has never mentioned it, and at this point he would have had it been a problem.

My oh my, I don't even remember starting this topic so long ago. I went up to 600 mg and when that didn't help, I went back down. I'm now on 200 mg. I'm still not sure what Lamictal is doing for me. I keep it in my cocktail because I'm afraid to rock the boat.

My oh my, I don't even remember starting this topic so long ago. I went up to 600 mg and when that didn't help, I went back down. I'm now on 200 mg. I'm still not sure what Lamictal is doing for me. I keep it in my cocktail because I'm afraid to rock the boat.

That's why it's in my cocktail.  The pdoc asks me "what's lamictal doing for you?", the tdoc asks me "what's the lamictal doing for you?".   How the hell should I know, I'm not a dr.  :/

That's why it's in my cocktail.  The pdoc asks me "what's lamictal doing for you?", the tdoc asks me "what's the lamictal doing for you?".   How the hell should I know, I'm not a dr.  :/

I actually can tell you what every med in my cocktail is doing for me ... except the Lamictal (and possibly the Remeron).

I can say what the lithium and clonezepam is doing but the lamictal is either doing nothing or so subtle that I can't figure it out.  If I wasn't scared to, I'd just skip it a few days and see what exactly happened.  But, I won't.  

I can say what the lithium and clonezepam is doing but the lamictal is either doing nothing or so subtle that I can't figure it out.  If I wasn't scared to, I'd just skip it a few days and see what exactly happened.  But, I won't.  

Yep. It's the same with me.