CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
heffington

Feeling phsyical pain in dreams?

I haven't been diagnosed with anything, haven't been to a doctor yet but I will soon. Was wondering if this is something I should even bring up when I do see him/her.

I've had dreams, recently and since I was young, that I actually feel pain in. I've even had lucid dreams where I get tactile and sometimes painful sensations but can't wake up despite the knowledge I'm in a dream. When I do wake up the pain goes away.

The worst happened when I was much younger. I had a dream I was fighting/wrestling with a kid in my neighborhood. While he and I were locked trying to wrestle eachother his brother came up behind me and started digging his fingers into my spine. His brother had me in a headlock of sorts so I couldn't get free to get away from the pair. The pain was intense, but when I woke up it was gone. That was by far the worst one, but I've also felt burns, cuts, blunt trauma, and various minor tactile sensations. There is of course never any physical evidence like bleeding or bruising, so its not as though someone was physically harming me while I slept, and never any lasting pain once I wake so I don't think its pain I'm simply feeling in reality that my dreams interpret differently.

I tried to look for some information online but all I could find were nutty new age boards full of "dood just focus on your extra-dimensional out of body spirit ballz!", or conspiracy theories. I'm already paranoid enough but usually my paranoia is at least stemming from reality and not completely derived from bad movies and conspiracy documentaries.

My theory is its psychosomatic, but didn't know if its happened to anyone else.

All the time for me as well, I thought I was the only one!

The last one I had a spike through my arm and I woke up yelling "ohmygof ohmygod ohmygod". I felt it alllll day.

I've had these, they are intense vivid dreams called hypnagogic nightmares. I've had one where a rope was attached to me and choking me, and supposedly it was the FBI doing it. it was the scariest thing ever.

Edited by Blart752

Ok I'm glad its a fairly common phenomenon. Find it odd that is was so hard to track down information on this until given the keyword "hypnagogic", which Id never even heard before. (Thanks Blart)

Probably won't bother bringing it up to the doc then.