CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
leadinglady

Healing sores from scalp picking

I been reading all the post and I cannot believe I finally found others out there that are having the same problem as me. Its going on almost 1 year now and I never had this problem b4.  I start itching my scalp and then theres these little reddish bumps I pickem till they bleed.  Then they form a scab and I pick that so it never gets a chance to heal. WTF is up with that why do we do this.  I just need someone to talk to because my husband just dont get it.  I'm so tired of it I just feel like hitting my head up aganist a wall !!   :wall: 

I would pick my scalp, eat the skin from the inside of my finger nails. But sometimes, I keep the scabs in a little tube. ;-;

I'm glad I'm not alone in the scalp / scab picking world.

Edited by woahstop

been doing it for at least 15 years.  i read someone post it is self soothing...i get that....i feel a calmness when doing it, the worst part is my husband will mimic me in an attempt to get me to realize I am doing it and stop...i don't stop, maybe for a few seconds then back at it.is this an ocd thing?

ive been scalp picking for as long as i can remember. i do it more when i'm stressed. recently though, i had a friend dye my hair while there were sores.. and i think one may be infected. idk what to do! i hate scratching my head, and i do it so much i almost never notice when im doing it. 

i've had many sores.. but this possibly infected one is the worst. i can't stop touching it even though it hurts sooo bad!

If you think it's infected you really should go consult with your doctor.  They can treat it.  As for the picking, I too am a skin and scap picker.  I am presently 29 days "clean".  This has been the hardest addiction in my life to conquer.  Feel free to pm me if you want to chat.

Oh gosh, I feel so much better to know that there are others suffering this too. I start picking at my scalp for about a year. It got so bad that the skin are littered all over the floor and the chair. I usually do it when I'm using the Internet and such. However, it really hit me that I must stop doing it when I noticed my hair start falling off more than usual. I don't know if it's relevant or not, since before that I used a new hairdye too. So I tried different shampoos and hair conditioner to treat it. Then I found this Japanese brand called 'reveur', it says that it got best scalp treatment Award for two years. It's a combination of herbs (ginger, soybean and isoflavone) I've been using it for a few weeks and I think my scalp is getting better, however, I'm not so sure if it works or not. I mean, the skin is still falling out when I comb my hair or just flip it. Then the scabs on my scalp started getting really thick and hard to pick at. But I can't stop myself sometimes and start picking at it, then the skin came off but also a few strands of my hair sticking to that piece of skin. I just want to know if this means that my scalp is healing or this means that it's getting worse?

CrazyLyla -- you really should go talk to a doctor.  I'm not sure that anyone hear is qualified to tell you if your scalp is getting worse or not.

I am picking the scabs off , still. The Strattera has pooped out so here we go again.  I almost never have itching, just get these sores and they hurt and I pick them and if they manage to heal , I pick the scabs.  I found something by Mario Badescu  called " Buffering Lotion".  . It has alcohol and zinc and niacin, and more. It is sort of expensive, about $20 for a 1 ounce bottle, but I put it on the scalp and it burns like crazy but scabs it over pretty quickly.  It is for cystic acne.  I have the same problem in other areas and the doc said it I could just stop picking the scabs for 2 weeks they will heal.   :wall:

So, for me, Selsun Blue for scalp, use clarifying shampoo on scalp at other times, Benzoyl peroxide ( which can be bought at dollar store ) helps heal the  bumps but might discolor the hair ( esp chemically treated hair). I have turmeric ( a spice) and  make  it into a paste and it is helpful. Also, sage has healing and antiseptic properties.  Check out herbal healing on this, some of that stuff does help.   Taking antibiotics can help but kills my stomach. One odd thing, taking probiotics seems to help a little.  I have folliculitis , so says the doc.  I am not so sure as before an outbreak occurs I get a painful scalp and stinging. My Derm dismisses this b/c I have a psych diagnoses. Also, taking Zinc seems to help a bit.  Skin Vitamins might be helpful.  I have used all kinds of otc topical and a bunch of prescription  stuff, and nothing stops the initial breakouts, the sore scalp and stinging .  That is the real problem, b/c I do not scratch my scalp unless it has sores on it.  The latest script is Biafine.  I really can't use it on the scalp as it is an emulsion, but am trying it on other areas.  Nothing will heal if I don't stop the picking, however.

If You ever get a Psych DX many docs will treat you as if everything that ever happens to you again is all in your head and not real.  Such as my Derm saying, "just stop for 2 weeks and it will heal" DUH. 

Edited by Stars

Scalp sores... I too have scalp scabs, since December. Tried everything! Wen shampoo, Dermarest, Scalpicin, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, Thieves Oil (do NOT put this on your sores!!! It feels like ACID)! I've tried cortisone, triple antibiotics and coconut oil! I am 56, female, and take an anti-depressant. I've been taking them for years. I also take hi doses of Vit D prescribed by my physician. Any advice out there? I live in Ohio.

hi, Dawn we are close to same age.   I use the selsun blue shampoo ( buy the knock off brands) on my scalp. It or the Zinc that is used for dandruff shampoo  can help heal some scalp sores.  I have used most of what you have tried except the coconut oil as my scalp is already oily.  Wen shampoo is probably going to suffocate the scalp follicles.  I tried Scalpicin with no help as my problem is not really itching.  If you are itching maybe try and antihistamine that is used for that issue. 

The benzoyl peroxide helps some. Anything that is used for acne can help the scalp sores, possibly and is worth a try.  It will heal the sores if I do not pick at them, there in lies the catch 22.  I mentioned I found this stuff by Mario Badescu  called " Buffering Lotion".  . It has alcohol and zinc and niacin, and more. It is sort of expensive, about $20 an ounce but is very effective for healing my sores on the scalp, if I then do not pick scabs they will heal.  Some of the Nizoral shampoos are helpful at times. I have used all kinds of stuff . I think Vitamin D is very important b/c a lot of us stay indoors a lot so many of us may be deficient in it. I was for sure.  I have not really noticed  it stopping the stinging, painful scalp  and sores from erupting .  I am beginning to wonder if mine may be shingles or a herpes type breakout.  The stinging and sore scalp is what makes me think that. My Derm ignores me b/c I have a psych dx. He feels if I just stop picking them they would heal, but I never pick unless there is a sore.  You can and will probably lose hair. I ended up only a thin covering of crown hair and had to wear a hair piece for quite a while.  It is such a frustrating  problem.  I should find another Derm but my patient notes will follow me and once they see that Psych dx, they just think you are hurting yourself and dismiss you, at least that has been my experience. YMWV.

If you color your hair it could be the color breaking out your scalp.

Edited by Stars

please help, anything oral i can take to stop the scratching i cannot handle it anymore. and the scars are becoming more itchy, I'm starting to loose hair. scared filled my entire scalp, i cannot even wear hair extensions, no place to clip them between what's left of my hair. i cannot control myself even in front of people i keep scratching, i am using specific zinc shampoo, and Its not working. I'm on the edge of depression , this is if I'm not already in it without knowing! please please help

Ruba

are you on any psych meds? My doc put me on strattera and it really seemed to help for quite a while. Even  now it reduces the urge to pick.  Maybe one of the meds used for ocd.

Does anyone with scalp sores manage to go out and get their hair cut?  I was picking my scalp before, and when I went for a haircut, the stylist brought the manager over, and they made a big deal out of it.  It was sort of humiliating.  

I had stopped for a while, and then the itching and sores came back.  I haven't had a trim in almost 5 months, and am scared to go to any salon at all.  I'm trying so hard to leave the scabs alone and let the sores heal, but my long hair is really bugging me!

tell the hair folks you suffer with OCD cuz everyone knows what that is and frankly i'd be upfront, tell them to just cut your hair and pay no attention to your scabs.  I have a head full of those right now, but I cut my own hair, wear it really short, it is really no one's business but yours and your pdocs.  i love picking my scalp, and may never stop.  pdoc is clueless...wanted to have me checked for psoriasis and lice!  duh.  

Does anyone with scalp sores manage to go out and get their hair cut?  I was picking my scalp before, and when I went for a haircut, the stylist brought the manager over, and they made a big deal out of it.  It was sort of humiliating.  

I had stopped for a while, and then the itching and sores came back.  I haven't had a trim in almost 5 months, and am scared to go to any salon at all.  I'm trying so hard to leave the scabs alone and let the sores heal, but my long hair is really bugging me!

That's awful! Try going to a nicer salon, not luxury but a place where they have long-term professionals with whom you can build a relationship. My hair stylist has seen it all, from scalp issues to people with no ears and she's a professional from start to finish.

What jerks!  My hair stylist would never do this.  Find a nicer hair salon, maybe a recommendation from a friend?  If you feel more comfortable over the phone, tell the stylist ahead of time what to expect so she/he is prepared. I'm so sorry.  You have no cause to be embarrassed.  I had to hide a huge bald patch for my wedding. Most hair cutters I use are professionals hair cutters would never embarrass a client this way, no matter what the issue.

Hi, I think you might have scalp psoriasis--that's what I have. My head is really dry and itchy and I have what looks like dandruff (constantly checking wiping my shirt off because of the white dry flakes--very embarrassing), but my head is so dry that it's an unhealthy white color at the roots. When I scratch my head because it's so fucking itchy, I get what I call pebble dandruff because of the way it looks. Then I get scabs from scratching so much and some of it is bigger dry flakes too. I've tried so many things but I found that oils help the best--when you aren't going someplace put either "Vatika enriched coconut hair oil" or olive oil. Leave it on overnight and if you aren't going out the next day, don't wash It out, leave it in for as long as possible. I've lately tried Aveeno Dandruff Control shampoo and it's seems to be helping--way more than the other ones did. Try not to scratch--I know it's hard not to, but if you have to--rub your finger to the spot where it's itchy--not your nails, at least you won't get as many scabs and sores.

From one itchy sufferer to another, good luck friend. :)

i got a hair product that helps a bit with this called "Sexy Hair soy renewal" (ironic as i have short hair and am balding) but as ingredients it has a couple different oils in it that soothe the scalp.  the hair person recommended it for my scalp because it was always dry and itchy.  it helps a bit.

Edited by avidwriter

Ugh I go through phases of this too. When do you pick most? For me it was in the car, watching TV, reading. Mindless things. I had to wear gloves around the house bc I would only realize I was doing it when one began to bleed. Also, having the sores show when I pulled my hair back was a deterrent bc I'm vain. But wearing gloves? It was wintertime so a bit easier. It took many months.