CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
leadinglady

Healing sores from scalp picking

Wow...I feel better I'm not the only one going thru this picking scalp crap! I do think it's related to our hypothyroidism an Dry skin an stuff. Hypothyroidism is a autoimmune disorder so I bet the white blood cells are having parties in our scalps an bodies...I will try the rotating the shampoos idea. Keraconazole shampoo helps but since I don't lije to wash my hair everyday it can't do it's full job. I am also considering going to a psych for anxiety...That's def another contributor...cause when I'm on vacation an relaxed my scalp almost heals completely...So total.stress related too...thanks all of u for posting ! Keep trying ! Don't give up! An don't let others look down on u for doing this! Xoxo :)

I pick and pick constantly too. Not just my scalp, but that is the main area. My husband will say, "quit picking!" I don't even usually realize I am doing it. It is a comfort/anxiety thing. I wish I could stop.

ive been scalp picking for as long as i can remember. i do it more when i'm stressed. recently though, i had a friend dye my hair while there were sores.. and i think one may be infected. idk what to do! i hate scratching my head, and i do it so much i almost never notice when im doing it. 

i've had many sores.. but this possibly infected one is the worst. i can't stop touching it even though it hurts sooo bad!

Edited by aliromanov

So - scalp picking is a new behavior for me (and thank you for helpingme know I'm not alone). I am also in treatment for depression, anxiety and now -- ADD (yes at the age of 51). Does Zoloft help this, or will it take something else? my dr. is starting to suggest I consider lithium for depression - anyone have experience with that? Howbad does it affect ability to think critically? so many questions.I hate beingso crazy.

Edited by aliromanov

wow, i had no idea so many other people had this problem...

i started picking at my scalp (and anywhere else really) in seventh grade - whenever i had a free hand. there was a point where i had 3 bald spots on my head and everyone in my extended family kept asking what happened to my head and if i needed to talk. i just told them i bump my head a lot.

like those of youyou above, it's hard for me to go in and get a haircut. i even wanted to get my hair dyed today but once my hairstylist saw the scabs she said the risk of infection was too high.

OCD is ruining my life. picking is ruining my life.

therapy hasn't helped, either. my last therapist gave me a rubber band and told me to smack my wrist with it every time i wanted to pick. i would slap myself so hard i'd get welts, because i was so mad at myself. it was just trading oneone self harm habit for another.

i need help but there's no one who actually helps. my lips are swollen and scabbed from biting, my scalp is always sore, my fingers bleed from picking...

but at least you all understand

I've picked my scalp as long as I can remember. It's a soothing thing. In elementary school, I remember one of my teachers sent me to the infirmary because I picked it 'til I bled terribly. I haven't picked to the point of bleeding/scabbing in a while. And I've never plucked off any hair along with it, but I think the fear of that is what's preventing me from picking too deep (the idea of pulling out my hair is just revolting to me). But the habit has never left.

I'm 27 years old and my head is full of sores/scabs. I can't help but pick at them cause I know they are there which makes them even worse and then they bleed and become infected. They get very itchy too. 

Some tips on how to stop picking and scratching at them would be extremely helpful as I want them to heal ASAP. It's very painful when I have a shower so I don't look forward to having showers and washing my hair :(

^ When you feel compelled to pick them, try to think about how painful it is in the shower and what kind of infections you could get. I'm not sure if this is a healthy coping mechanism, but sometimes I think about the most disgusting, obscure infection that I could possibly get and try to convince myself that I'll get some kind of flesh-eating bacteria and loose limbs if I pick my head one more freaking time, no matter how unlikely any of that is. That's probably not good for my anxiety, but it works sometimes. Just my two cents.

I have had this problem off and on for a long time but then it usually just stops.  This time it has gone on for a few months.  It seems to be worse than ever.  I've always been a picker but this is worse because I think people can't see the sores.  I am starting to get embarrassed to go to the hairdresser though.  I talked to the dermatologist and he said I have some sun damage in places and froze off some of the sores but then I just picked those areas worse. I have found that just rubbing the areas helps but if I'm not careful I start to pick and scratch.  I also have anxiety and depression.  I'm so glad that I have found this board so that I know I don't just have some awful case of skin cancer or something.  I'm going to try the rotating shampoo thing.  In the past that has helped if I just change my shampoo. Knitting  and coloring helps because it keeps my hands busy.  Watching TV is the worst. 

http://www.hairyscalp.com/the-most-efficient-treatments-for-scalp-sores.html

I read this guy's treatment and I'm trying it.  My scalp is so bad now that I need to wear scarves.  My sores are stubborn and will not heal even when I leave them alone. I can leave them  alone for days and in 15 seconds go back to square one. This is the worst one I have ever had. My dermatologist injected me with cortizone a couple of times. It made the itch stop for about 2-3 days but the side effect is now I have a crater there. 

I put some white vinegar on a cotton ball and then my scarf.  Obviously it didn't heal them but it takes the itch away. I wonder if I'm allergic to coffee or something. Gross pictures attached.

scalp on 4.17 v3.jpg

4.17.16.7.jpg

Ok so you have scalp issues? Dandruff? Scalp scabs? No problem. Let me tell you all that you are being scammed. A scalp scab is damaged skin right? correct. Scalp scabs heal by forming a thick crust over the damaged skin. Now you use your shampoo or oil and nothing works ? The reason nothing is working is because the shampoo or oil is making it worse how? simple! when the crust heals and you shower you remove it. Then the scab needs to build he crust again. So basically your skin is building a protective barrier and your removing it by shampooing !  Now if you shampoo cut your hair off! you damaged it so much you need to cut your hair because the cuticle is completely or is damaged then your scalp can produce moisture wash with only water and your done. Please do what nature gave to you and don't but crap on your head just use water. Look a cat cleans himself with his spit ? and no problems? use a shampoo on him he gets skin problems ! so just test it out see how it goes ! it worked for me.

• Like 1

Thank you Alex.  Coincidentally, mom told me the exact same thing yesterday.  Of course I will try it. I've tried everything else.  Going online to buy some scarves to wrap my head in turbans for a while.

Ok this will sound crash but it works get some cold pressed this matters> castor oil and some bio oil from your local pharmacy. Rub this into your scalp and wrap overnight . Now understand it takes a long time to wash it out but it's worth it . I did this when I had burns that pretty well burned half my hair off and burned my skin and skalp. Another friend did this when going through chemo and radiation . We swear by it BUT it's a pain in the ass

I tried what Alex said above. My scalp is healed. I can finally quit being a recluse in my home. I don't know what happened. One day, it just stopped.  Just like one day it just started.  What an ordeal.  

The stitch is from a biopsy - all good news.  Thanks Alex.

6.27.2016 scalp.jpg