CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone with bipolar tried gabapentin ? (also called Neurontin)

Anyone get manic or hypomanic?

Im using it for a ongoing wrist injury.

Has anyone with bipolar tried gabapentin ? (also called Neurontin)

Anyone get manic or hypomanic?

Im using it for a ongoing wrist injury.

It's not considered much of a mood stabilizer. You'll probably need something else to manage bipolar.

I use gabapentin to treat parts of my mood dx though it's a booster mood stabilizer, not my primary one. It helps a lot for me with anxiety and sleep, and possibly slightly with depression. For mania, it's completely worthless. So yes, depending on what else you are on, it's completely feasable that it could be exaerbating hypomania.

If you aren't taking anything else besides that, I suggest you do so. If you are taking something else, you may need to talk to doc about a temporary adjustment while you treat your wrist.

Anna

As far as I'm aware it's been more or less discounted as a treatment for mania (though if I'm wrong, someone please correct).

I take it for pain. It kind of helps with the pain and also helps squash a little bit of my raging anxiety.

I take it for fibromyalgia. It helps with the pain but does nothing for the mania or depression. Right now I am in the beginning of a mixed episode or something like it. For the last 3 nights I didn't sleep much and last night I never bothered going to sleep at all. I BETTER sleep tonight!

I took it last summer with an antidepressant, and it worsened my already existing mixed state.

I've been taking it for over three years. Initially, I took it alone (with occasional clonazepam), mostly because my pdoc & I had hit a wall with meds to try and figured why not, and I was sick and tired of going through the barrage. SO, that is to explain that we both knew it probably wouldn't help much, if at all, but it was that or nothing (I was going to take a complete med break). My pdoc has seen some patients over the years that responded well to gabapentin, but not many.

My mood cycling wasn't terrible when we started it, and I did pretty well for about two years, with intensive DBT work during that period to help me manage situations that could lead to a bad mood cycle. The SEs are minimal, though as my dose went up, I did get dummer end dumbah.... um... dumber and dumber. Then shit hit the fan in major ways and the gabapentin just didn't cut it anymore. The first piece of shit to splat was losing my beloved therapist, which would have been hard to handle even while on tons of meds. I'm still taking it, because it does help to some degree and we didn't want to take it away from my brain if it helped even an iota.

I have *got* to work on post brevity. Sigh.

cool thanks for the replies.

not using it as any sort of mood stabiliser, just hoping it will help with my chronic pain.

its a been a battle to try and see a psychitrist this year year, 3 referals have been declined. doh.

not using it as any sort of mood stabiliser, just hoping it will help with my chronic pain.

I get neuralgia (nerve pain) in my head, and have had far fewer bouts since I've been on the gabapentin (like maybe twice in three years as opposed to perhaps 4-8 times a year), so I can vouch for it working on pain. Neuralgia is incredibly intense pain, too. Good luck getting a referral in! I wonder if going to the ER saying the pain is making you feel suicidal would get you in to see someone more quickly? Unethical, perhaps, but if it's the only way to get seen....

I started it for "anxiety" last February. The first night on 300mg it worked great for the chronic pain problem I have that drives my anxiety. I mean unbelievably well. I slept great. I was supposed to take 100mg in the morning too. I also felt like a new guy the first morning after I took it. Really energized and just not dwelling on my pain problem or any problem at all. This mood elevating effect wore off quickly or pooped out at my 400mg a day dose.

It seems to have petered out a little on the pain end of things too and I don't really know what it does for me other than make it hard to remember, oh I don't know, WORDS!!!

I've heard a lot of people say it poops out.

I've never taken more than 500mg in one day so I don't really know if there is a therapeutic level of the stuff or not.

It's not approved for bipolar and is apparently not that good of a mood stabilizer.

Edited by BustOfPallas

I've never taken more than 500mg in one day so I don't really know if there is a therapeutic level of the stuff or not.

It's not approved for bipolar and is apparently not that good of a mood stabilizer.

The therapeutic dose is dependent on the use and also on the individual. You can go much higher than 500 mg/day if it has pooped out on you. I've taken as much as 1600 mg/day, and many people take much more.

It may not be approved for bipolar disorder (many drugs used for BP are not), but it does work for some people. As I wrote in an earlier post, it gave me a small amount of help when I needed it, at a time when I had run out of options and needed a break from constant med changes. I use it now in conjunction with other meds because of the help is does give me-- neither my pdoc nor myself is willing to use a med that doesn't work.

I'm back on it for migraines. I on the whole am doing better, but I just had a 3 day migraine. Those happen, though, I don't know if I can really call the gabapentin a failure. I just moved up from 500 to 600, but I think (think) I got up t0 2100 before we decided it had pooped out.

We were hoping the 10 year break would make it work again. On the whole it seems okay, but for the first few weeks, it seemed like a miracle.

It's a good drug, I only get hypomanic if i take it or space out the doses too much, meaning if i dont take it the same time every night.

Edited by Blart752

This med has always caused major aggression issues for me and then my most recent run with it pushed me into a manic state and I was hospitalized. My doctor had originally given it to me for sleep, but I was up for 3 days before I went into the hospital.

I took gabapentin in the late 90s, prescribed for epilepsy. Had a nice seizure semi-control honeymoon, but it pooped out very quickly. Didn't seem to affect my mood stability either way - at least I don't think it did.

Neurontin was one of the first mood stabilizers I was prescribed. I wasn't on it for long as it did nothing for me but make me really slow.

I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia today, and was prescribed gabapentin. I was also curious about how it would affect my mania. Thanks for the topic!!

I take gabapentin 1900 mg~ spaced out over a day~ and I was first prescribed it or my bipolar 1, but I also have atypical facial pain :/ so my neurologist has me taking it at this dose. It has helped the pain a lot~ it feels like a migraine in my tooth and is upper intense without meds. Now, it's just a sensation that I'm only kinda of aware of most of the time....yay! ...something that actually works! Lol~ but my bipolar has really gotten worse lately. I was on aplenzin, and maybe that was making me manic...idk....I have just stopped aplenzin and tonight am starting Saphris~ so wish me luck! Xo~

Yeah, stevie i was reading about shingles and it said it can present as facial pain without minor tooth problems. So you might want to be checked for that.