CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
brighton

Tramadol & Mania

Hey I thought I would let y'all know that tramadol can potentially set off mania/hypomania.

My regular doctor put me on it 2 months ago, knowing that I am bipolar ii and now Im totally

manic ! Stupid doctors !

Using thorozine atm for mania. With clonazepam as required.

I would recomend exercising caution with tramadol if you are bipolar, especially if you are not on an anti-manic medication.

Edited by brighton

tramadol is a weak SNRI plus it has opiate qualities. I loved it, til I hated it. It's my drug of choice, actually..... sorry to hear it.

Anna

As we alwatys say, your mileage may vary. know one knows waht a med will do until they take it. Telling people NOT to take a med just because YOU had a bad reaction is not how things are done around here. Doctors dop the prescribing.

Sorry thatr you had a bad reaction, but I'm pretty sure many/most of us have. It's OK. You get past it and go on to the next and eventually find something that works.

Hopefully you will find a good mood stabilizer that works for you. We'll be happy to talk with you about any issues you have with your meds ongoing. BUT, again, please don't go shouting to high Heaven for people not to take this or that med.

Guest Recluse

I second the others. If everyone based their medicinal therapy on the subjective experiences of other people, we'd all be totally unmedicated and a lot of people would be dead. This site isn't about telling people what they should or should not be taking, although I know you probably meant well.

Realize that your experience has no bearing on the experience of other people. I'm sorry it made you manic, just try something else and soldier on. Don't blame your doctor either, he isn't psychic, and he has to try what he thinks will work. Getting angry at your doctor for actually trying to help you is stupid.

i was not saying "dont take tramadol"

i meant exercise caution, especially if you are not taking anti-manic medication.

and hey, im new here, so i appreciate your posting tips and just changed my

original post. no need to call me stupid either.

whoooop

Edited by brighton

i was not saying "dont take tramadol"

i meant exercise caution, especially if you are not taking anti-manic medication.

and hey, im new here, so i appreciate your posting tips and just changed my

original post. no need to call me stupid either.

whoooop

No one called you stupid. Nothing of the sort. It's just that a lot of people come on and say things that may scare other people away from certain meds or treatments.

Thanks for taking our advice. We hope you stick around, read, post, and learn more about your condition. We're here to help you, feel free to ask, and please don't take everything said as an attack.

Guest Recluse

My regular doctor put me on it 2 months ago, knowing that I am bipolar ii and now Im totally manic ! Stupid doctors !

What I said in response to this was 'Getting angry at your doctor for actually trying to help you is stupid.'

I meant it. I didn't call you stupid, but I said that your anger toward your doctor was. You yourself aren't stupid, but your behavior is. Deal.

Well, I think it's fair enough at times to point out our subjective experience, it's all we have. There are plenty of posts on here ASKING for subjective experiences. For example, when BP folks take abilify I don't tell them NOT to take it, just to have a rescue plan in place it makes them agitated/manic which can and does happen to SOME.

Tramadol IS a weak SNRI. Doesn't affect some people at all, does others. However, I don't think the OP meant any harm, was just frustrated. Understandably. It's no fun to be manic from a med. I certainly have been frustrated at times by prescribing "errors" or bad choices made by my docs (heh, usually AFTER I have told them I think it's a bad plan and they go full steam ahead). I'm just saying, no need to pile on.....

I find tramadol, after an initial "high" blip doesn't really do much for me, but it is HELL to come off for some reason. When I come off, I feel like the devil is playing with my brain. It literally changes every brain receptor I have, apparently. I actually find tramadol harder to kick than shit like heroin.

Heh, which is why it amuses me that I was given it and then it become my drug of choice, later. It just feels SO SO GOOD at first.... Sigh.

I do feel tramadol is one of those "handle with caution" drugs, but then again, there ARE tons of people who handle it just fine. And no, your doc might not have known what was going to happen. I don't blame mine at the time for giving it to me for tx resistant depression, we felt it had enough back up data and we were desperate. And it worked really well for about 6 mo until... it didn't. And he certainly had NO IDEA that doing that would make it my DOC and etc. That part was ALL me.

Anna

Have you checked the forums on medications?

It is a little more complex than just listing all the meds that *could* cause hypo/mania. Several classes of meds are used to treat depression, and many can cause hypo/mania all on their lonesome. Other meds that aren't even psychoactive cross-react with psychoactive meds, which can lead to mania.

Even if your doc knew tramadol caused issues in *some* patients, he would also likely know that for a lot of people with BP, it isn't a problem, so it might be worth trying. I have a bipolar friend who uses tramadol, and her mood has been fine.

Get used to the fact that to some extent, side effects are a given. I hope you are an exception, but many people try things that don't work, or even make them feel worse, until they find the right one.

Guest Recluse

well maybe a "meds that can cause hypomania / mania " thread / sticky would be an idea for the future.

There is a long, long list of meds used to treat BP and BP II that have the potential to cause hypomania as a minor side-effect. There's really no need for a sticky thread about it, since many of the meds routinely used have a small chance of causing it. It's all per-individual. Your subjective experience has very little bearing on what someone else will experience taking the same medication. Don't you get that?

many of the meds routinely used have a small chance of causing it. It's all per-individual.

Yeah, that. I'm on 2 of them, and even together they do not cause mania for me. A combo of Zoloft and progesterone made me suicidal, pre-diagnosis. I'm sure the doc had no idea that could happen but in a small amount of people, apparently it can...

Edited by wj74

Thanks for the heads up on Tramadol. With the withdrawal of FDA approval of Darvocet, my internist switched me to Tramadol last month for migraines/neck issues. I've taken it two or three times now.

Seems quite sedating, short acting and not terribly effective at reducing the pain at the prescribed dosage. My feeling is that I need to gain more experience, but may end up discussing this with the doc. I'll keep an eye out for any mood swing.

Self righteous. Never been called that one before... just stating my experience.

I am not sure what he was talking about, I don't think we were doing anything other than explaining why you can't categorically describe a med as causing mania. Maybe he doesn't like to be contradicted.

Wow, interesting thread, I have to agree with the OP that personally tramadol did make me a bit hypomanic. But nothing even close to hydrocodone. However I have not had either since I've been on trileptal. I was on vicodin and seraqual and was diffidently manic.

Hi everyone, I hope you are all safe and feeling well :) xxxx I got my diagnosis about 14 months ago. I got a manic depressive diagnosis at about 15-16. Ignored it for a good 20 years until this last one. Bipolar is nicer sounding I think, but I've been told it's basically the same old chestnut just re-badged a bit like a 90s mini metro if you like ? Tramadol for me when taken in the first few days (3-4) at the start of a manic phase it works so well ! It slows down my rapid thinking to a crawl, and seriously drowns out all that background 'clutter' noise so I can focus like normal (one thing at a time). It also shortens the manic phase by miles (weeks I reckon, seriously!) and transitions the downer period into something that I can cope and work with without completely grinding to a halt. I take them at fairly high doses (400-600mg in a 12 hour period) and break each 12 hour period with 48 hours of physical exercise and good rest and diet. For me Tramadol is a lifesaver alongside the natural herbal remedies (mainly edibles). I found CBT helpful also on a more practical side, the tools we were taught were simple to remember and effective. I had a good go with every bipolar type related chemical out there, our family GP had tried me on Depakote, Lithium, Lorazepam, Serequel, kitchen sink. Tramadol and cannabis should not help to lessen the harsh nature of this condition. It should make things alot worse. But for me so far it's been a 'cure' I've not taken any long extended time off work, I've not been online gambling, I've not been chasing sex and hurting peoples feelings. I think I'm just reconfirming the general consensus that we are all individuals with unique chemistry and there is no such thing as a one size fits all. What works for you has no guarantee at all that it will ever work for me sort of thing.

Love and peace xxxxx

I wonder if this is the med a friend of mine said he had to take a tiny ball out of the capsule every day or so to wean off of it slowly because the withdrawal was so harsh. I've been lucky and had no painful withdrawals. Is Tramadol something you are meant to take only at onset or a swing up or down? I assumed it was a daily but like the idea that it could work on an as-needed basis. Provided one recognizes the need quickly.

On 8/8/2011 at 6:06 AM, Guest Recluse said:

Your subjective experience has very little bearing on what someone else will experience taking the same medication. Don't you get that?

Nice to see an old post revived. I feel sorry for the way OP was treated in 2011. I think some people were missing the aspect that he was sharing his experience and many people read comments to find a variety of experiences and views; to feel less alone. He was driven away even though he demonstrated good faith by editing his post and trying to be constructive and learn more about meds that could trigger mania. Not cool. Especially since people posting here can be **cough** suffering from mood disorders **end cough**. If I'd read this thread first (example of rude comment above directed at a new poster), I'd likely have walked away too. Be gentle to people who are new and don't know the right words or culture for discussing things...or don't you get that?  (sorry, hard to resist)