CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
persephonelawson

How often do you cycle?

Hello everyone,

I've been trying attention to my mood episodes and how frequent they are. I know that it can change with many factors : age, medication, type of disorder etc etc etc. In the past, it used to be all over the place, now that I've been on medication for a year or so, it's been like this :

4 major depressive episodes a year (Jan, Apr, July, Oct,)

During the rest of the year, it's been : 3 weeks of moderate to severe depression, 1 week of hypomania, 1 or 2 weeks of normalcy without any symptoms , and then all over again until a major depressive episode comes along.

Sometimes, instead of the 3 weeks of moderate to severe depression I have 3 weeks of dysphoric hypomania/mixed episode.

I think that (unfortunately) my "normal" on meds is being mildly depressed all the time and that's mixed with a bit of hypomania and anxiety.

Does that make any sense to you?

And lastly - Should all of these changes be happening while on meds?

thnks

P.

Guest Vapourware

It makes sense to me. Even while on meds, some mood fluctuation will occur, because all humans will have mood fluctuations, but they shouldn't occur on the level that you're describing. If you're having four major depressive episodes in a year, then IMO it's a sign that your current medication regime isn't working and requires a tweak.

I think it's a good idea to speak with your pdoc about these fluctuations and see what can be done with them.

I don't know if you can count that as "normal", it sounds like maybe you need a med tweak. I wouldn't accept that as normal. Even bumping up your lamictal could be helpful... it really helps me. I'd call the doc if you don't have an appt coming up.

As for me, I don't really have a pattern, except for hormonal swings. Before I was diagnosed i thought I had PMDD or something but then I had a big depressive crash and ended up at the pdoc. My cycles can last anywhere from a few days to a week or so, improperly medicated. Virtually non-existent if the meds are right. It doesn't take a lot to throw me off though. It could be as simple as a schedule change then all bets are off and the meds must be adjusted again. Argh.

I too have been keeping an close eye on my moods, I have been keeping a mood graph with a list of symptoms, triggers and what meds were taken etc for the past 12 months. Its great as before i did this doctor would say is there any patten to your moods but i thought it was all random, but its not and i see that now. For me I know my meds aren't good or working but i can't be bothered fixing it right now. I cycle manic/hypo-manic or manic/mixed every 2 monthish which can last anytime from a week to a month, then i will have either depressed or normal mood between the highs, normally more depressed mood than normal i have to say, but all verations of depression so not always severe.

It didn't always be like this, i use to have much longer episodes like depression that would last 6 months then mania that would last 3 months, this was before i ever had any medication. so it has all changed in the last 3 years.

So far I haven't notice any environmental factors or triggers that have been constantly a trigger, maybe general stress but it still isn't that clear. My last mania i even got a nasty flu and it still didn't slow me down, i felt like super woman. One time i was really depressed over Christmas last year i drink a heap of energy drinks to try and trigger my mania as when i first went manic i had a cup of really strong coffee and it set me off but at Christmas it didn't work in fact i think the caffine made me more depressed.

I have come to see that we don't have any control over these mood changes even when it happens it feels like i am controlling it.

Ifs its bothering you maybe see a doc and discuss what you have noticed with your mood.

I definately agree. This is very much like I was unmedicated so a Med check adjustment might be in order. Now on lamictalI rapid cycle but my symptoms are muted. Keep a mood chart and I have found it very helpful. So does my doc.