CrazyBoards.org

Have you ever had an okay psychosis experience?

Just wanting to know if anyone here experienced psychosis that was not as horrible as some of them can be. Could you handle the symptoms, or did you get out of your mind pretty quickly? Ever had an okay psychosis? One that was a little bothersome, but didnt drive you nuts.

I have had actually an enjoyable psychotic break before. It was when I was manic and thought I was going to be the next big thing in the art world. I actually thought my drawings are worth millions of dollars and I was going to make about $100 million a year. I was thinking of how to spend it by taking my family on huge vacations or buying a mansion. I didn't actually spend the money it was preparing to spend the money. I truly thought I was worth millions. I would draw constantly and take on huge projects. For example I have big pictures that usually take a month or so to complete but I did one in 2 days when I was manic. This lasted about 6 months. I had more energy but the pills prevented me from staying up all night. I wanted to though. The pills are too strong and make me tired all day no matter my mood and actually increase my yawning. Its when reality set in that I hated it. Now I know that was nothing more than a delusion. I also thought I would be a worldwide speaker and travel the entire world. I do speak at autism conferences but its just local and I don't even get paid for it. I thought I would also make millions speaking. I also thought I would make books with my art in it and it would be bestsellers. So, of course I enjoyed that psychotic manic episode. During this manic episode I also talked very quickly. No one could keep up with me. Now I know my art isn't worth anything. I hate reality. I also thought during the manic episode that I would meet the president of the USA and be on all the talk shows and the news. I was on the news pretty recently though for my art. So, I guess that part isn't a delusion.

I've had delusions that were pleasant, but I still was not dealing with reality. I thought people were sending me messages through the media because they liked me. I also thought I was going to be rich because I had this power to receive messages. I felt this light of "love" shine through me. I also got aggitated and paranoid and that was unpleasant. I've never been a little psychotic, though, if that's what you mean.

I had a period of hallucinating where playful dogs/puppies were following me around for a while and I kept seeing parks and playgrounds with children playing in them where there weren't any. Quite enjoyable until I realised the parks were disappearing and I couldn't understand how they got rid of them so quickly.

Guest Vapourware

Most of my psychotic episodes have been bad experiences. I wouldn't say any of them were enjoyable. The only experiences that I found tolerable were when I thought God was talking to me, and when I thought I had psychic powers. Neither ended well - God/auditory hallucinations ended up telling me I ought to kill myself, while when I believed that I had psychic powers, I ended up also believing that I was being monitored by psychic beings who were coveting my powers.

I think the moral of the story is: the longer you leave psychotic episodes untreated, the more severe they get. I didn't recognise my psychotic symptoms as such for a long time and eventually I had a rather nasty break from reality last year. I'm grateful that medication was able to put pay to my last episode.

I thought I was reincarnated, and that I was an old soul, therefore special. This lasted for a year. It was enjoyable because I felt powerful and really the best of the bunch, I felt as though the world revolved around me, and that I can control events. I was special, I was here to save the world.

My delusions involved being psychic, and talking to deceased people, so they weren't unpleasant generally. Mostly I was given messages for random people from their loved ones. Sometimes a mean "spirit" would come along and do frightening things. But in general, they were positive messages and encounters. These were all auditory hallucinations and "mental pictures" of people. I never saw in the flesh dead people, although my sister does. She gets the visual hallucinations.

I'm still not 100% sold on that being a delusion...which may mean I'm still delusional. I wonder sometimes if maybe I really AM psychic. That's kind of off topic though.

My delusions involved being psychic, and talking to deceased people, so they weren't unpleasant generally. Mostly I was given messages for random people from their loved ones. Sometimes a mean "spirit" would come along and do frightening things. But in general, they were positive messages and encounters. These were all auditory hallucinations and "mental pictures" of people. I never saw in the flesh dead people, although my sister does. She gets the visual hallucinations.

I'm still not 100% sold on that being a delusion...which may mean I'm still delusional. I wonder sometimes if maybe I really AM psychic. That's kind of off topic though.

I have doubts about whether my thoughts were really delusions, too. They just seem so real.

It is weird that so many people have delusions of being psychic. I have that too but mine isn't a delusion. That one isn't pleasant at all. It is very scary. I predict things all the time and feel responsible when they become reality. Because of my power of influence (I influence the events that become reality) the government is after me. The worst thing I have done is destroyed 2 planets with alien life. One in 2009 and one this year. I also caused or influenced things on Earth including 9/11, earthquakes, and even a tsunami in 2004. My psychic powers come to me in the form of dreams, visions, or even the government telling me in my head. Sometimes the government tells me about technologies that are top secret. What is weird is that months later the very same technology they tell me becomes reality and is talked about on the news. One of them they told me in 2009 of birds that are watching me with spy technology that are basically spy drones in the form of a bird. This year on one of my sites they talked about that they are working on spy drones that look like birds and insects. They also talked about certain robotic technology and nanobots. What is weird is that I have pretty much no imagination even though I am an artist. I have to look at pictures to draw. I can't just come up with something out of my head. There are times that I break down and cry when a psychic dream becomes reality. Then I feel like I could have stopped it in time but failed. The government tells me about aliens and even demons (that one is new) that are after me as well. I am not even religious and I believe that there are demons after me. I see indications that they are there all the time. The government also tells me of a satellite that can shoot lasers at targets. All this is terrifying. I miss the mania that I described earlier because when I am not manic I am very depressed (I am hardly in the middle) and think everything is a failure and I am worthless and hopeless. I haven't made a single penny in my art since May. May was the most I have ever made in my art and that was only $700. You can't live like this. No one can. I can't you can't. I have thoughts as well that I can't go into here. I have been having problems that really haven't gone away since May. There are days that I hardly have any problem but most days I deal with thought insertion. I am scared that I will always have problems because this is my second longest time of having problems. The longest was a year. The shortest lasted literally seconds when I had a very short psychotic break thinking someone is going to buy my brother's newly formed company for $750 MILLION. In real life my brother's company is literally worth $100. Not joking about that. I get delusional thoughts like that. Any positive thing that sounds too good to be true is usually a delusion.

I also believe that I can influence reality through my thoughts (and I still do, to small extent, but through my meds, it's fading little by little).

Oh yes, I forgot about that. Mine is anxiety based. If there is something I fear happening, I believe that if I think about it it won't happen, because bad things are always surprises. So therefore, if I worry incessantly, nothing bad will ever happen, because I've preconceived it.

I also believe that I can influence reality through my thoughts (and I still do, to small extent, but through my meds, it's fading little by little).

Oh yes, I forgot about that. Mine is anxiety based. If there is something I fear happening, I believe that if I think about it it won't happen, because bad things are always surprises. So therefore, if I worry incessantly, nothing bad will ever happen, because I've preconceived it.

Oh my god!! We are exactly the same! The delusion was more potent before e.g. if I think vampires will attack me while I'm studying, they will, so I have to worry about that, so that it won't happen, because if I forget about it, it will happen... So I get paranoid, and anxious.

I'm so glad I'm not alone.

In the midst of very unpleasant symptoms, I have heard music (actually songs I like!!) and thoroughly enjoyed the chance to hear a kick-ass song or two (even though the songs weren't actually playing....) as well as new songs I've never heard before. I very often have music playing in my head that kind of writes itself (I've been playing various instruments for 24 years, so it's deeply ingrained....I think I compose on auto-pilot because I cannot emotionally handle actual songwriting), but it's more like the I-have-a-song-stuck-in-my-head volume. Sometimes it stops being inside my head and I hear some bitchin' guitar solos.....It only happens with the rock/metal stuff I write on auto-pilot, not the orchestral. I've never had scary aural hallucinations, luckily. It was a little unnerving the one time I heard (ack) Aerosmith at (ack) Wal-mart and then when I got close enough to the speaker to hear properly, it wasn't even a rock song playing. My brain totally tricked me.

tl;dr

Yes. I generally enjoy the internal (sounds external) MP3 player in my head when experienced psychotically, though it's a little bit unnerving at times.

I've never really had any experiences that I would call good. Throughout the time that I was unmedicated after my first episode (approx. 9 years) I had delusions from time, usually about people watching me/following me. They scared me and I didn't like them but I learned to just deal with it. Some times were worse than others. Eventually things got really bad and I decided I needed meds again (after my husband begged me to get help).

I quite enjoyed being able to control the time of the day, but the consequences sucked!

Normally I just get loads of paranoia, which is anything but fun. I hate it and I always want for it to stop but I never can work out how, like if I were to go to the police it would be me who was arrested and charged. This I have always found frustrating.

Also my hallucinations are frightening. Just by being there they scare me.

On top of my delusions, my self esteem has gone right down since I was diagnosed. I just feel stupid and cannot accept another explanation for my actions and beliefs, even though sometimes I do know that I only did these things because I was ill that sounds like such a lame excuse to me. Part of me really struggles to accept that I was wrong.

I have also had many experiences that other people say was deluded but I do not feel that this is the case. This just ends up making me feel even worse in social situations.

So I would say that I have not had any good psychotic experiences. They all sucked in some way for me, and some worse than others.

Just wanting to know if anyone here experienced psychosis that was not as horrible as some of them can be. Could you handle the symptoms, or did you get out of your mind pretty quickly? Ever had an okay psychosis? One that was a little bothersome, but didnt drive you nuts.

Unfortunately, all of my psychotic breaks have been terrible. Each episode I have been convinced that someone or something is out to get me. They don't last very long (usually about 15 minutes), but for the time that I am in them, it feels like hell.

I never had an okay psychosis either, even though I was lucky enough to never completely lose my grip on reality. Each and every episode feels like hell. And as my episodes are usually followed by a really bad post-psychotic depression - no, I can't say I've ever had an okay experience.

I recently had one that was okay in that I was able to handle it without going to the hospital. The first part of it was enjoyable... I was cutting the grass and really enjoying it. I thought that there was some connection between the lawn mower and myself. Like it was a metaphysical lawn mower, haha. Sounds pretty stupid now. However it quickly escalated into something more terrifying. I took extra medication which seemed to snap me out of it. However I got almost no sleep that night and it was unnerving. A couple of days later I had a weird sensation of almost feeling out-of-body, also feeling as if everything was metaphorical (it was a bit like being on some kind of drug), but it did not escalate into anything more severe. I was grocery shopping and felt on sort of a high, then I went to see a movie and I think in the course of that I started to feel more normal.

In retrospect I wonder if some of the "enjoyable" moments were actually mania. I think of myself as being Schizoaffective depressive type, but I'm wondering if I can experience mania that is usually induced by external stimuli, such as drinking a lot of coffee late at night (my first episode...). I think this recent episode was triggered by accidentally taking too much Claratin D with Sudafed... I took a 24 hour Claratin one afternoon and then I took another one the next morning, effectively getting a double dose. So I think it may have induced a mania possibly. As for the thing that happened a couple of days later... I'm still wondering what was going on with that, since there was no drug connection.

Archived