CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

I was on Geodon for a brief period of time - two months I think - and I'm not sure if my positive symptoms were controlled by it, namely the delusions and odd ideation, but my negative symptoms improved significantly on it, the verbal fluency and lack of pleasure really improved. I eventually went off of the Geodon because of the akathisia it was causing, and my doctor at the time could not find an adequate medication to stop the akathisia. After I went off of the Geodon I found that it was harder to speak again and that I was not getting as much pleasure out of things I normally would enjoy like playing guitar, running, etc. I was put on Zyprexa and that seemed to get rid of all of the positive symptoms, then I suggested to my doctor that we try Geodon again on the side just to see if it would get rid of the negative symptoms I was experiencing. I found in a period of a month or so that the Geodon didn't have the desired effect the second time. I was wondering if there is a possible explanation for this - my doctor did not seem to have an explanation - and I was just wondering if anyone else here has had success treating the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, because they really are a bear to beat.

Where you on the same dose the second time?

Combining APs greatly increases the chance of EPS related side effects like akathisia.

Among other things, Geodon blocks the reuptake of norepenephrine. This could possibly explain its efficacy in treating negative symptoms. As to why Zyprexa would counter that effect, I have no idea. I can say that it left me feeling stoned out of my gourd all the time and people could tell that I was obviously drugged.

Adding a low dose of a norepenephric anti-depressant such as desipramine or wellbutrin, or even a SNRI like Cymbalta might be worth looking into.

I was on a similar dose, yes. I didn't get up to the maximum dose the first time because of side effects, and the second time we just decided to drop the medicine before we reached the highest dose because we felt it wasn't doing anything. Also, I don't think the Zyprexa was countering what the Geodon would have done, partly because I was on a low dose of Zyprexa for a little while while I was on the Geodon the first time and it didn't seem to counter the positive effects I was having, and also just because I think my psychiatrist would know that there would be a problem mixing the two.

That's interesting though about the norepipenephrine. I'll have to bring that up at my next appointment.

Thanks,

Matt

I have heard that this problem exists with AP's, that the second time you try it, you don't get as big of a bang as the first time.

I'm now taking risperidone for the second time, and I can attest that this is true, at least for me. The first time I took I took risperidone, it gave me an energy boost, and I felt great. Now I don't feel anything at all. Nothing good, nothing bad. I'm really disappointed.

Archived