CrazyBoards.org

I was just wondering what others' experiences are with negative symptoms. The two that are really bothering me right now are the lack of fluidity in my speech and the lack of enjoyment of things. Did medication help with things like these? Or was it just time that made things start to recover? Any input would be great.

Guest Vapourware

Thinking back, there was a period not long after my psychotic episode where I believe I had negative symptoms. I lacked motivation and couldn't find pleasure in much, and I remember being accused of being lazy. For me, a combination of ziprasidone, time and good luck meant that the negative symptoms didn't last long, and at the moment, I'm fairly stable.

Negative symptoms are generally harder to treat than positive symptoms, and are also likely to be more pervasive. I read somewhere [for some reason I can't find it] that risperidone and zyprexa can help with negative symptoms. This article here describes the possibility of using stimulants as a way of treating negative symptoms, in particular Vyvanse: http://www.news-medical.net/news/20110428/Positive-results-from-Shires-Vyvanse-clinical-trial-in-schizophrenia.aspx

What bothers me the most is my lack of the ability to stay focused. I can't concentrate on anything. In my experience, it's hard to get the negative symptoms under control. I haven't been psychotic in a year or so, but I'm still not able to read a book.

Oh those awesome negative symptoms. I've been struggling with them as well. I also have ADD so the two combined was making life seriously difficult because I couldn't focus or get myself to do anything. Once my mood and psychosis stuff was under control, pdoc started me on Ritalin and that's helped quite a bit with the focus issue. At least I'm able to get things done at work now. I actually read a book last month.

As far as motivation and pleasure, those are still very bothersome. Pdoc said that over time things might improve and that I should try finding hobbies and doing things that used to be fun. She said I should make an effort to actually do stuff, even if I don't want to. I've really been struggling with enjoying things and motivating myself to do things (cleaning my house and showering seem to take a lot of effort). At this point I'm just trying to make an effort and hoping that in time, things will improve. I'm sorry that you're struggling, I understand how it is. I wish I had an easy answer for you.

Archived