CrazyBoards.org

Been Stable a While - Time to Experiment With Meds?

I'be been pretty stable that last 2- 3 years with out any major mood incidents or psychotic symptoms. Now I am questioning whether I really am Bipolar to begin with. I fell that has been a misdiagnosis of some sorts.

Iknow I should wait until my nxt pdoc visit and then explain to hear wht I am feeling an that I should go off my meds to see what's up.

Puttinfg the mdiavation aside doesas anyone have experienece with long terms of stabilty. I guess im lloking for poeople wiht long tern stability to share their stories

Thanks for in theinput

It's pretty classic for people who are stable for a long time to doubt whether they need meds instead of appreciate that they are stable because their meds are working. Think about the way you were before meds and know that in all probability, you will destabilize yourself and it might take a long time if ever to get back to the place you are at now. I mean, there was a reason you were diagnosed and prescribed meds in the first place, no?

This is the story of my life the last 15 or so years: gain some stability, then decide I'm cured and stop everything. Then destabilize and wind back up in the pdoc's office. I have finally come to terms with the fact that BP is a lifetime thing. And so I hold the course best I can. It helps that I have a great pdoc and I trust him, so whenever I get an idea in my head about how to change things up, I talk to him first.

I don't have any stories of long term stability like you asked for. I have stories of feeling pretty good, going off my meds, then eventually destabilizing again. And each time I've done this, the crazy comes back faster and more intense.

k

oh George! this is classic BP territory

you are stable because you are so well medicated with your AAP, AD, Lithium, and a benzo

you and your doctor found a combo that works

and look at it this way, if you were NORMAL do you think you would be stable and functioning on so many meds???

huh?? I think a normal brain would be doing a face plant in their spaghetti on the types and quantities of meds that a BP 1 like you or I can tolerate

When I am really stable I can keep my lithium at 900 instead of 1200, or skip my xanax for a few days

this is all with a mutual agreement w my doctor

it would be self destructive to think I could go off meds

I agree, going off your meds when you feel better is a classic mistake for people with bipolar illness. I have always been med compliant, because I saw what happened to my dad's patients when they tried it. So I learned vicariously that it is a very bad idea.

Shit, I get stable for three months and I question my diagnosis! Heh, so normal for people to think these things. Episodes seem like a bad dream to me.

I wouldn't screw up a good thing. Just keep taking your meds, and enjoy your life!

Guest Vapourware

I agree with everyone else - it's easy to question your dx when you have had long stretches of stability. Being stable for 2-3 years is a great sign, and also a sign that your treatment is working. If you come off your medication, there is a good chance that you will destabilise. There is also a chance that if you come off your meds, then try and get back onto them, then they might be less effective the second time around.

Sometimes, what helps me is to re-read old journal entries of moments when I was batshit, so that I can get a perspective of how I was like when I was unwell. I find that there are periods when I do need reminders of why I'm taking medication.

Archived