CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin XL vs. Wellbutrin SR

I am titrating down (with my doctor's approval) on my lamotrigine and when I see my pdoc next, I am planning to ask to move my Wellbutrin from 150 mg to 300 mg. I checked with my pharmacy, and it appears that it is slightly cheaper to get single 300 mg XL tablets than double 150 mg SR tablets. I currently take SR.

I've seen people here mention in various posts that they react differently to Wellbutrin XL than to Wellbutrin SR. I'd like some feedback on this. Is there a difference? I mean, other than how it is released in the body. Do you feel better on one than the other?

I am titrating down (with my doctor's approval) on my lamotrigine and when I see my pdoc next, I am planning to ask to move my Wellbutrin from 150 mg to 300 mg. I checked with my pharmacy, and it appears that it is slightly cheaper to get single 300 mg XL tablets than double 150 mg SR tablets. I currently take SR.

I've seen people here mention in various posts that they react differently to Wellbutrin XL than to Wellbutrin SR. I'd like some feedback on this. Is there a difference? I mean, other than how it is released in the body. Do you feel better on one than the other?

I personally find SR better. I take mine twice a day, 8 hours apart after I wake up. I've used XL in the past but it might as well have been a placebo. However, my XL's were always the infamous Teva generic. I specifically asked the pdoc for SR this time so there was no chance of getting the bad XL's. Teva's SR are fine.

I took the name brand SR and it did nothing for me. The name brand XL has been a very effective AD for me. Because of the cost, I have switched to the generic made by Watson Labs.

I think you will find people on both sides of this. All of us react so differently to meds.

olga

Thanks guys for responding.

I take the SR generic made by Watson Labs so I'm assuming the XL would also be, but I should check with my pharmacy on that one.

I know that we all react differently to meds, but I'm wondering if there is a concensus on this or if indeed it is all over the map.

My pdoc switched me from 300 mg SR to 300 mg XL about a year ago, and I couldn't tell any difference. I have always used generics, and am not at home so can't check which one I have. The pharmacy changed brands a few months ago and I didn't notice a difference. The only generic I didn't like was Teva Ambien, it sucks.

Since I noticed such an improvement since I started Lamictal (also generic) about two years ago, I recently suggested to the pdoc that I could stop the Wellbutrin, which I have been on for over ten years. He didn't say, "Are you crazy???", but I know he wanted to. What he said was I need all the meds I'm on, it's not even a remote consideration to stop the WB.

Archived