CrazyBoards.org

Restless legs driving me apeshit

I went to the pdoc today and told him about my restless legs and that I thought trazodone worsened it and I didn't know what to do because the Ambien was causing me to do weird stuff.

Well he said it's not the trazodone, it's the Seroquel, that may be causing the restless legs. Possibly except that I quit taking the Seroquel about a month ago with no change (he doesn't know that.) So I doubt it's that because the restless legs are worse than ever. I have had it in the past but it went away and now it seems to be back with a vengeance. He wouldn't give me anything for the RLS but changed my meds to 'reduce' my Seroquel, increase Paxil, and add Buspar because he says all my symptoms of restlessness, no focus, lack of sleep, pressured speech are anxiety. Add in excessive spending and I think either I'm manic or have ADD.

Anyway he swears I'm not bipolar and after it appeared on my medical record for a week, they took it back off. Grrr.....

But this restless legs shit has to go. It feels like a gazillion tiny bugs are crawling all over my legs and I have to kick around and roll them around in my bed until I pass out from the Ambien...thankfully usually only a few minutes later.

But he put me back on the trazodone and I'm terrified of the way it makes me feel the heebie jeebies and restless legs when I take it. It keeps me asleep but I have a hard time falling asleep.

I have some Neurontin and was thinking about trying that to see if it lessens the restless legs. I also put a call into my primary care doctor's office to see if SHE would prescribe something for the restless legs but it's closing time and they didn't get back to me at all today.

Does anyone else have restless legs that drives them freaking crazy and is there anything over the counter that may help? I tried adding iron supplements, taking Benadryl (which I found out makes it worse) and everything. Nothing helps and I wanna cut my own legs off!!!!!!!

I went to the pdoc today and told him about my restless legs and that I thought trazodone worsened it and I didn't know what to do because the Ambien was causing me to do weird stuff.

Well he said it's not the trazodone, it's the Seroquel, that may be causing the restless legs. Possibly except that I quit taking the Seroquel about a month ago with no change (he doesn't know that.) So I doubt it's that because the restless legs are worse than ever. I have had it in the past but it went away and now it seems to be back with a vengeance. He wouldn't give me anything for the RLS but changed my meds to 'reduce' my Seroquel, increase Paxil, and add Buspar because he says all my symptoms of restlessness, no focus, lack of sleep, pressured speech are anxiety. Add in excessive spending and I think either I'm manic or have ADD.

Anyway he swears I'm not bipolar and after it appeared on my medical record for a week, they took it back off. Grrr.....

But this restless legs shit has to go. It feels like a gazillion tiny bugs are crawling all over my legs and I have to kick around and roll them around in my bed until I pass out from the Ambien...thankfully usually only a few minutes later.

But he put me back on the trazodone and I'm terrified of the way it makes me feel the heebie jeebies and restless legs when I take it. It keeps me asleep but I have a hard time falling asleep.

I have some Neurontin and was thinking about trying that to see if it lessens the restless legs. I also put a call into my primary care doctor's office to see if SHE would prescribe something for the restless legs but it's closing time and they didn't get back to me at all today.

Does anyone else have restless legs that drives them freaking crazy and is there anything over the counter that may help? I tried adding iron supplements, taking Benadryl (which I found out makes it worse) and everything. Nothing helps and I wanna cut my own legs off!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

SSRI's can make RLS worse in some people. I have it pretty bad and any of the new ADs including Wellbutrin worsen it.

Your iron level (ferritin) should be over 50, preferably over 100, as a first step. Then make sure your Vitamin D levels are about 40 or so. Many of my fellow RLS sufferers find their symptoms improve when taking Vitamin D supplements, as did I.

Neurontin or gabapentin is a common treatment for RLS. Usually people take 300-700 mg at bedtime. I took it and it worked fantastically, unfortunately it made me retain so much water that I would be up six times a night to use the bathroom. Sigh.

Feel free to come over to the RLS board for more info - it's www.bb.RLS.org or just go to RLS.org and follow the links.

Archived