CrazyBoards.org

have doctor work restrictions

i have worked at a retail store for 1 1/2 years.

i fell and hurt my left and right arms. there is no restriction on left arm that has the splint, but light duty restrictions for the right arm.

they kept telling me that they were taking a risk letting me work with the splint. to get them off my back, i gave them the doctor's ok to work note. i figured i should also turn the restricted one in for my right arm.

now, i am freaking because i feel like it gives them a reason to fire me or give me less hours. or force me to quit. just think it could have been a bad thing.

what i am thinking is, will telling them i am bipolar keep me from being fired? or will it make things worse? will they still fire me? will telling them save my job?

they were just a little too happy to work with me. like it was what they wanted.

thank you!

First of all, I want to preface this by saying that I'm not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. If an employer wants to get rid of someone, they will find a reason even if the real reason is not allowed by law. It's not right, but that's how it is. If you have a good case, I suppose you could take legal action, but as an "at will" employee, it would be very difficult to prevail without a smoking gun that they fired you because of a disability.

As for me, I wouldn't tell them about my MI because nothing good can come of it. This I know to be true because somehow it got out that I suffer from depression, and that has dogged me throughout my career (through letters of reference, I think). I would only tell them if my MI was substantially interfering with my ability to do my job (e.g. needing more than the usual number of sick days/personal days and requiring a medical leave of absence).

i have worked at a retail store for 1 1/2 years.

i fell and hurt my left and right arms. there is no restriction on left arm that has the splint, but light duty restrictions for the right arm.

they kept telling me that they were taking a risk letting me work with the splint. to get them off my back, i gave them the doctor's ok to work note. i figured i should also turn the restricted one in for my right arm.

now, i am freaking because i feel like it gives them a reason to fire me or give me less hours. or force me to quit. just think it could have been a bad thing.

what i am thinking is, will telling them i am bipolar keep me from being fired? or will it make things worse? will they still fire me? will telling them save my job?

they were just a little too happy to work with me. like it was what they wanted.

thank you!

Ok. Not knowing the entire situation, or even how you stand as an employee, I don't know that anything can really be said about anything.

I do feel like I have to mention, though, that I am really not liking the way this is sounding. I mean, what you did with doctors letters in regard to your arms, again, no one here knows the whole situation or is standing in the shoes of your employer... BUT I'm really kinda not liking that just because you are nervous that you might get fired, you're thinking of throwing in that you're bipolar, especially since it has nothing to do with your job or current job issues. This is pretty much sounding like, ok, you think you might lose your job, so as a hail mary you are going to throw in that you are bipolar so that if they do fire you, you'll then claim that they are firing you because you are bipolar, blah blah blah.

Bringing up being bipolar when it has nothing to do with your current situation just because you think it will get you pity points or even scare them out of even thinking about firing you is really a pretty dirty move.... in my book, at least.

ok. a lot of things have happened in that 1 1/2. a lot of things that have been overlooked where i have screwed up.

they have been very generous. most all of it has been from depression, the inability to handle stress inside and outside the workplace at the same time, poor focus and memory. i did miss work and had to take a week out because i was going to have a nervous breakdown. they know about the depression and anxiety.

i am actually at the right level of meds and am doing a lot better. i thought my time had come and was working to catch up with any work stuff that i did not remember. felt great, more talkative, more focused.

then, i fell. i feel like this is the tip of the iceberg. that they aren't going to put up with me anymore.

i was thinking that if i told them that i was bipolar that they would understand about the situations up to this point and could maybe see why i have given them a lot of shit. maybe knowing this they might keep the absents out of the equation or something. i don't know what to expect. i am not trying to sue them if they fire me after i told them i was bipolar. just thought clearing things up would help my situation.

Telling them you have bipolar is seriously different than them knowing you have anxiety and depression. Those are seen by employers as "short term illnesses" while BP is a "Long Term Illness." And no employer wants to keep an employee that has a good chance of having a long term need to take time off work.

Your arms are a "short term illness" so they shouldn't have any problems with it. You get better, you go on with work. I don't really see a big deal. Sounds like they were just protecting themselves from a workman's comp claim in case you went to work with a splint and hurt yourself at work (when your doctor didn't say you could return.)

stable, do you think that because they are understanding of an injured ARM they will be understanding about MENTAL ILLNESS????? NO

false assumption I think

no no no, do not tell them about your bipolar

I agree. As much as I would like to think my nice employer would be understanding it is still a business and we are at will employees. They can use any excuse they want to fire us and whether your behavior has been off due to MH or not isn't going to save your job.

I'm out at work, but my work is awesome. hell, my boss HIRED ME knowing i was unstable as fuck at times, she knows i've been hospitalzied and shit, and stuff, because my sttepfather works there. I thanked her one time and she said, 'i go by what i see in front of me'.

that said, i've also been fired for my bipolar, directly. it can go either way, and it OFTEN goes to shit.

in this situation, where you are feeling kind of weird about your employers, I would DEFINITELY NOT TELL. i've had employers i did not tell, and etc. It really is an individual thing, and tbh i think you are better off staying silent on this one. JMO, of course.

Anna

Guest Vapourware

It just sounds like, from here, that telling them you are bipolar is not going to benefit you in any way. Your current work difficulties aren't being caused by bipolar, they are caused by your arms.

I have to somewhat lean with Opie's assessment on the issue. It sounds like you are attempting to use bipolar as a leverage to maintain your job. In the real world, it doesn't work like that. If someone wants you fired, they will find a reason that may have absolutely nothing to do with your conditions.

I think you should just see how it goes at the moment with the arms. It sounds like the workplace you are at is not a bad place to work, if they are wiling to accommodate your needs.

Most employment in the States is "at will" (except Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Nebraska, New York, Rhode Island, Florida - with exceptions) meaning you work at their pleasure and they can let you go for any reason or none at all. So I would not give them any reason to see you as a less able employee. Unless you are of a protected class, then you can argue discrimination. Being MI is not a protected class.

nf

thanks you all!

i think i was thinking that it would be more like an "a-ha" thing where they could finally see where i was coming from. i don't know, evoke a little compassion? not blackmailing. just understanding.

from what you all said, i should keep my mouth shut. i guess in this world, it would be taken the wrong way and somehow used against me.

Archived