CrazyBoards.org

scared that *someone" will make a noise complaint

tommy000

ive got schizophrenia. keep having tantrums about my bad history with *certain* people and what they did to me in the past. ive been seeking help from my pdoc and psychologist. basically i just started to rent into a new unit complex and asked for a 12 month lease. GRANTED. anyway ive been getting angry and talking to myself. my mum says i should stop it otherwise someone *might* report me to the unit manager and after the 12 months is "over" i want to ask to renew it and ask for "another" 12 months.

my main worry is this: if someone reports me for the noise i make i dont want to be knocked back if i request to renew the lease coz of that "noise complaint".

questions:

if someone does make a complaint and reports me to the unit manager will she HAVE TO notify me that ive been reported? OR "can" she keep it to herself? if after a certain time no one approaches me about the noise, i should be safe right?

me and my mum love the place we are in at the moment and we would like to stay there as long as possible.

also you should know that the unit complex is run by a private rental company and the unit manager is there to "monitor" the units for repairs etc

i live in aus by the way.

thank you.

This is a definite YMMV situation. I've had my previous landlord approach me because of a noise complaint when I was having an epic tantrum. I've also had the cops called on me because of a different tantrum, I'm quite certain the landlord was notified about that one, too. We never had trouble renewing our lease.

Granted it wasn't in an apartment complex that was in high demand and rent from somebody who freaked out from time to time was better than an empty unit.

I hope it doesn't cause problems for you.

yeah coz i cant work coz of my schiz. and my mum is like "if we get evicted coz of your tantrums we dont have the money to move". i dont really have a landlord. heres how it works: i approached a private housing company telling them me and my mum needed a place to live. they said yes and offered the place we have now. its for low income people. most people i noticed in the complex are elderly or have a disability. so there are 3 groups of people who are involved in running the complex: 1. the housing company 2. the unit manager 3. i *guess* there would have to be a landlord who owns the unit, never met him though...

when we pay rent i have to go to the bank and make a deposit which is made to the housing company. ive met the unit manager who is basically the only person who is "physically" at the unit complex that is there to keep and eye and any "problems" are reported to her.

i dont smash things. im not really yelling. its me mostly talking to myself angryly. do you think im paranoid thinking that "a complaint against my name will look BAD and might be a reason to knock me back when i asked to renew"

im basically on a pension and so is my mum. we have no other source of income. i have not damaged anything in the place and so far the rent has always been on time. so i believe it is a big deal coz i dont want to end up homeless...

yes i should STFU and forget about my past but its hard coz of mental illness...

If you are talking angrily at yourself are you really being loud enough for other people to hear? Are you louder than a TV with a sound system on? If it is just conversational volume I wouldn't worry about it.

well its definately louder than conversational volume. mum says its loud. she assumes other people can hear me but said they wouldnt be able to make out what im saying... after my tantrum i regret it big time.

been at this unit for a little bit over a month now... no one " yet " has approached us about the noise.... only time will tell

Guest Vapourware

I think you should approach the local tenant's association for advice. They have branches in every state, although I don't know which state you're in. Also, here's a site that talks about tenant's rights, which you might find helpful: http://www.rentaustralia.com.au/content/cms/Tenant+Legal+Rights/492/

I don't know but I think the unit manager is obliged to tell you if someone has made a noise complaint against you. They won't tell you who made it, though.

I do know that with private rentals, real estate agents keep people's name in a record. I don't know if things like noise complaints would be listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I think the list is mainly for people who default on rent payments, but people who find their names blacklisted generally find it harder to find another rental property. I haven't privately rented before so take this with a pinch of salt.

Hi,

I made a noise complaint in the last apt complex I lived. Management was already aware that unit had issues (not by me, from someone else). I told the apt manager verbally. I received a letter in the mail stating mgt received my report and was working with my neighbor.

Then, ha ha, I got reported for being "too messy."

So, if there is a list out there...Im too messy.

db

Archived