CrazyBoards.org

Is it possible to have both Asperger's and Schizophrenia?

I have heard of people with both schizophrenia and ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders).

There is also someone around here with both.

Also

By definition the diagnosis [of Asperger's] is not given if the criteria are met for any other specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or for Schizophrenia (although the diagnoses of Asperger's Disorder and Schizophrenia may coexist if the onset of the Asperger's Disorder clearly preceded the onset of Schizophrenia) (Criterion F
Edited by helenllama

Hi -

Since you posted this topic in both the Schizophrenia forum and the ASD forum, I have merged both into one topic. In future please only post a topic in one sub-forum. Otherwise it gets too confusing for people with two sets of replies going at once.

Guest Vapourware

I'm a person with both Asperger's Syndrome and Schizoaffective, diagnosed by a psychiatrist. My clinical psychologist had also suspected this combination for a long time, but in Australia at least, I needed a psychiatrist to officially confirm the dx since psychiatrists are top of the mental health totem pole.

I've had my psychiatrist sign off on the dx on two official bits of paper, plus also an official letter stating my diagnoses.

What helenllama quoted is correct - that's the caveat used to dx someone with both conditions. Generally they don't dx schizoaffective or other schizophrenia-spectrum dxs alongside ASDs because a lot of symptoms overlap [especially the negative symptoms]. The two dxs are usually only made if a person presents with hallucinations and/or bizarre delusions, because those are obviously not part of the ASD criteria.

I have both classic autism and schizoaffective disorder. I know its not the same as Asperger's but close enough. I have known many people both on boards and in real life that have either Autism and schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder or Asperger's and the schizo disorders. My diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder was mainly based on so called delusions. I believe my beliefs though no matter how bizarre they sound.

and i find it odd that your physician believes that you can have AS and schizoaffective but not AS and schizophrenia. that just sounds rediculous. if you are worried about the fact, i would ask a more approrpiate professional like a psychiatrist or a psychologist.

mackie

Actually, I do have a psychiatrist, and have had a few evaluations by a psychologists. The last psychologist gave the diagnoses I listed in sig. My psychiatrist doesn't really seem to care of the diagnoses all that much - as long as I am doing better. He is not a splitter but lumper more.

I was told by one physician, not a psychiatrist (and not a clinical psychologist), that it is not possible for one to have both Asperger's and Schizophrenia, but that it is possible to have both Asperger' s and Schizoaffective disorder. What do you think?

You can have both according to the DSM. If you are diagnosed with Asperger's as child and later as an adult you have the onset of schizophrenia, then you can have both. You cannot be diagnosed with Asperger's if you are already diagnosed with schizophrenia.

I was told by one physician, not a psychiatrist (and not a clinical psychologist), that it is not possible for one to have both Asperger's and Schizophrenia, but that it is possible to have both Asperger' s and Schizoaffective disorder. What do you think?

You can have both according to the DSM. If you are diagnosed with Asperger's as child and later as an adult you have the onset of schizophrenia, then you can have both. You cannot be diagnosed with Asperger's if you are already diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Well.... that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia first. But, I've had Asperger's all my life.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vapourware

You can have a schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder dxed first, THEN an autistic disorder dxed later - that was my case, and I have the official paperwork to prove it. You do need to be able to show, through some sort of history, that you have had symptoms of an ASD since childhood, and that the scz/sca symptoms came later.

The only scz spectrum disorder that cannot explicitly co-exist with ASD is schizotypal.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vapourware

I think that, at least from the DSM viewpoint - and certainly it seems, from the DSM 5 viewpoint - schizotypal is classified under schizophrenia spectrum, but not schizoid. I could be wrong about that though, because I'm not as well-read about schizoid as schizotypal. I get the impression that some researchers put schizoid within the schizophrenia spectrum but not all, but schizotypal seems to be generally viewed as, for want of a better turn of phrase, "schizophrenia-lite".

From how I interpreted the current criteria for schizotypal, one of the criteria seems to explicitly rule out the possibility of sitting alongside a PDD, but that criteria seems to have been removed in the DSM 5.

I did a little bit more reading and noticed that schizoid is on its way out from the DSM.

Guest Vapourware

I had a bit more of a read of the DSM 5 and well - schizoid isn't completely going away. It seems like instead of being a discrete disorder on its own, it's going to be part of someone's "traits", if I've read it right. Then again, I really am not well versed with PDs at all, so take all this with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

I had a bit more of a read of the DSM 5 and well - schizoid isn't completely going away. It seems like instead of being a discrete disorder on its own, it's going to be part of someone's "traits", if I've read it right. Then again, I really am not well versed with PDs at all, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Yes, you'll be able to "mix and match" traits in the new DSM. So potentially people's diagnosis will become more accurate and more useful, since with the DSM-IV many clinicians seem to play it safe and go for NOS anyway. They removed those specific PDs that had little research evidence and/or clinical utility (schizoid, paranoid, dependent, histrionic).

• 3 years later...

I'm a person with both Asperger's Syndrome and Schizoaffective, diagnosed by a psychiatrist. My clinical psychologist had also suspected this combination for a long time, but in Australia at least, I needed a psychiatrist to officially confirm the dx since psychiatrists are top of the mental health totem pole.

I've had my psychiatrist sign off on the dx on two official bits of paper, plus also an official letter stating my diagnoses.

What helenllama quoted is correct - that's the caveat used to dx someone with both conditions. Generally they don't dx schizoaffective or other schizophrenia-spectrum dxs alongside ASDs because a lot of symptoms overlap [especially the negative symptoms]. The two dxs are usually only made if a person presents with hallucinations and/or bizarre delusions, because those are obviously not part of the ASD criteria.

Hi there, my brother has recently been diagnosed with both disorders as well, and I would appreciate it if we could get in touch together as I'm definitely clueless about how he sees the world and how I can be good support for him.

Hi there, my brother has recently been diagnosed with both disorders as well, and I would appreciate it if we could get in touch together as I'm definitely clueless about how he sees the world and how I can be good support for him.

Note that you're responding to a post that's several years old and the person you are responding to has not not active for some time.

• 3 months later...

You can't be diagnosed with dyspraxia if you have autism, because autism can cause all the symptoms. But most people with autism don't have dyspraxia, and i have it really bad, but i'm not allowed to call myself dyspraxic. This means i can't get official help. I can't be diagnosed with a mental illness, according to my psychiatrist, because 'the symptoms are identical with autism'. Beyond frustrating. One cause is that the hunt is on amongst researchers to be The One Who Discovers What Autism Is. By being the person who proves beyond all doubt what exact ultimate cause or problem this mess of symptoms is caused by, they will go down in history and become extremely rich and be able to research to their heart's content with unlimited funding for the rest of their life. So each contender comes up with a slightly different symptom list and different 'core' or 'essential' cause of the disorder. And we get denied treatment for any and every symptom they cast their net around because it might or might not be caused by autism, so treatment is undecided until that's known. Fortunately, the UK dyspraxia associations don't require a diagnosis but let you join and get help anyway. As one of the worst problems is i can't judge oncoming car speed and have been hit by a car once and nearly killed loads of times, dyspraxia is exactly the part of autism i most want help with!