CrazyBoards.org

Thinking of starting lexapro again, augmentation, and side effects

Maybe this should be in a blog, but.

I'm thinking of starting lexapro again, but I am wary of the side effects. I stopped for well over a year, with unsuccessful attempts to restart it. It was a good drug, but many of the side effects bothered me. I was really numb, not as bad as any of the antipsych drugs I was on. I don't know if any of you experienced this I'm stable as I can get now, but still having trouble settling down mainly. While I wasn't on it, and solely on the gabapentin, I was more active, and could be a smartass and a brat sometimes, and I drank energy drinks for no reason other than to pick me up and give me more energy than my body actually had left in the tank. I was almost deliberately through no fault of my own, trying to wear myself thin, or lose weight. I did lose some weight, I would drink energy drinks for breakfast around 10-11 and not eat till like 3-4pm. and if i had the energy drink, later in the day i would not eat till like 5pm., (I just felt so fat and slowed down from the antipsych meds that I felt i needed to speed up.) I was taking an inhaler as well PRN, Which made my asthma(or breathing issue less) but came with it some unexpected side effects. Like constipation after not taking it(it activated my abdominal muscles) and also urinary symptoms. I found myself making less sense over time. Even though these strategies worked for focus or i could see through all the crap going on around me, there were other times were I couldn't bring myself down from the high of energy drinks.

I went into some form of crazyness or coping skill where I read music lines like White light, or bright lights, and thought well if I see things that way then things well get better. Unfortunately it didn't meet well with reality around me, I was thinking too fast as well. It was just a whirlwind year, one i would like to take back, and although i had fun in spurts the downs were kind of bad. and in the fall i crashed hard.

Also, for those that take a thyroid drug to augment their depression(other than thyroid issues) how has it helped? does it decrease some of the side effects of antidepressants, or augment them in a way that they don't bother you?

My main problem or issue with lexapro was mainly the heartburn, which would wear away at mainly my respiratory tract, a sandy, gristling type feeling. I initally had a similar problem with lexapro in that it would irritate my back, or mainly the upper back neck area, mainly the bones in it. This was a main issue with the lexapro, and didn't disbar me from taking it. The other problem with the lexapro was the numb feeling from it, my head would just get really numb or a tension headache from grinding my teeth.

I took thyroid hormone to augment my antidepressant a few years ago, and I'm telling you, forget about it. I sped up my heart and gave me palpatations, and I generally felt unwell. If you have any issues other than depression, it will play with your mind in ways that you don't want.

About Lexapro, I know what you are talking about with the numbing effect. Still, it is a good AD and if it helps you, then I think it is worth it. As to heartburn, as nf has said, there are a lot of options to treat it

Heartburn treatments made you tired for days? That's awfully weird. Which ones?

I don't really understand why you're considering restarting lexapro. If I'm understanding correctly, you see your current issue as being difficulty settling down. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it doesn't really seem like something that would be best addressed by adding an AD.

I don't really understand why you're considering restarting lexapro. If I'm understanding correctly, you see your current issue as being difficulty settling down. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it doesn't really seem like something that would be best addressed by adding an AD.

True, but the AAP's settled me down so much I could barely function. Enough to the point where it would impede my ability to breathe and be able to get out and do things. I'm not saying that at one point I could deal with these symptoms, but not anymore. Antidepressants can settle you down, in that you can sit in a chair and relax. But at the same time, they can agitate you. I'm saying that I want back on lexapro, because it's just my go to drug, It's one I'm used to, my body reacts well to it as opposed to others, and it was the one i have taken the longest(alongside gabapentin.) My psych doc likes the gabapentin idea, she thinks it's a good drug.

I just have difficulty relaxing in general. Like if I'm sitting in a chair, I just try i just try to feel heavy,lazy, and relaxed. but that heaviness just makes me more depressed or ultimately uncomfortable in my chair, like i'm bearing down on my chair. I try to take deep breaths, but the heaviness (i believe) gets in the way, and when i do take a deep breath my back cracks. I quit my job like 6 months ago, and it doesn't matter, with or without a job, I still have a hard time relaxing. Sometimes when I do relax, i still have a hard time sleeping, it's almost like my body doesn't want me to be relaxed. The main thing is taking deep breaths, I feel when I do that I take a heavy breath. But the breath is impeded or stopped when my back cracks. and then i just feel like i lost all the energy i had been containing.

(This is exactly why I took the inhaler, it made my breaths lighter, it made my breathing easier moving about.)

Heartburn treatments like the PPI's, I would have insomnia for the entire time on them. insomnia is a known side effect of PPI's.

Have you tried prilosec? I can't find any literature saying anything except that prilosec improves sleep. I take it every day, I can't take calcium/magnesium types because of my kidneys. I have GERD. Or whatever the one is where you wash acid back into your esophagus.

There is no doubt that broad spectrum ssris like lexapro are good for a wide range of symptoms. I personally find prozac is good for anxiety, depression, panic attacks etc.

I worry about your thoughts on breathing - to give you some background from my perspective;

Before I was diagnosed with panic disorder and anxiety problems i was actually taking asthma medication for attacks. I saw a dr who measured my lung capacity and found that it was actually above normal ie I do not have asthma. I was actually experiencing panic attacks which I thought were asthma attacks, and taking ventolin as a response. As ventolin is a stimulant, I was actually making my panic attacks worse. This was confirmed ny several drs that i saw.

I went to a clinical psychologist for CBT, and he taught me how to breathe properly, how to calm down when the panic surges through your body, etc. This in combination with a benzo (diazepam in my case. previously alprazolam) works well when I get anxious, agitated or panicky.

So yeah, just something to consider. You may have asthma, or it could be contributing to your problem. Worth thinking about. Also dont underestimate the power of CBT and/or benzos. If you cant afford or cannot go to a therapist, there are some really good workbooks you can buy that teach you the same breathing skills.

Chimp, I didn't have a problem with panic attacks and my proventil inhaler(which is the brand I used.) It calmed me down, and allowed me to cough forcefully enough to get phlegm out and the coughing helped my symptoms However, i tried Proair once and it was giving me that nervousness, jitteriness that you speak about.

I have tried diazepam once, and was previously on klonopin. Klonopin never worked well, and I always wanted to try diazepam. But unlucky for me, my currect psychdoc does not approve of prescribing a benzo.

I have tried prilosec and it was the least of the PPI's to cause trouble. The one i prefer most is the Zegerid formula(which is prilosec with sodium bicarbonate) Prevacid was pretty disgusting. It does say on some pamphlets that it does improve sleep by curing the acid reflux. I have also read a side effect of insomnia on the PI sheet. The one thing that does work well is Pepto bismol. But you really can't take that everyday.

True, but the AAP's settled me down so much I could barely function. Enough to the point where it would impede my ability to breathe and be able to get out and do things. I'm not saying that at one point I could deal with these symptoms, but not anymore. Antidepressants can settle you down, in that you can sit in a chair and relax. But at the same time, they can agitate you. I'm saying that I want back on lexapro, because it's just my go to drug, It's one I'm used to, my body reacts well to it as opposed to others, and it was the one i have taken the longest(alongside gabapentin.) My psych doc likes the gabapentin idea, she thinks it's a good drug.

I just have difficulty relaxing in general. Like if I'm sitting in a chair, I just try i just try to feel heavy,lazy, and relaxed. but that heaviness just makes me more depressed or ultimately uncomfortable in my chair, like i'm bearing down on my chair. I try to take deep breaths, but the heaviness (i believe) gets in the way, and when i do take a deep breath my back cracks. I quit my job like 6 months ago, and it doesn't matter, with or without a job, I still have a hard time relaxing. Sometimes when I do relax, i still have a hard time sleeping, it's almost like my body doesn't want me to be relaxed. The main thing is taking deep breaths, I feel when I do that I take a heavy breath. But the breath is impeded or stopped when my back cracks. and then i just feel like i lost all the energy i had been containing.

(This is exactly why I took the inhaler, it made my breaths lighter, it made my breathing easier moving about.)

Heartburn treatments like the PPI's, I would have insomnia for the entire time on them. insomnia is a known side effect of PPI's.

I really am not seeing how lexapro is going to help you with any of this. Your explanation that it's your, "go to drug," just doesn't really make a lot of sense. What you're describing almost sounds more like maybe a physical issue - maybe you should resume using your inhaler - or more of a therapy thing than a med thing.

OK, you had insomnia. That's not the same thing as their making you fatigued. It's actually kind of the opposite.

the statement go-to drug sounds stupid, and i know that. What I meant was it's a drug I trust.

I would resume my inhaler, but the side effects of taking it were troublesome, such as High blood pressure, which eventually led to chest pain, and heart palps. Chest pain is a side effect of short acting bronchodilators like albuterol. Everytime i went to the doctors to check for high BP, my blood pressure would be low, because I didn't take my inhaler.

I wasn't sleeping through the night with the prilosec. You're right, I wasn't specfic enough with what I said. What i meant was, it caused muscle weakness, and fitful sleeping through the night, less than 1 hour, so I would wake up totally sleep deprived. some nights I didnt' sleep at all.

Archived