CrazyBoards.org

Repetitive thought

I've noticed that at times I have repetitive thought. It could be a few words of a song, something that was said to me, a problem I have or something I want to say to someone else. I can have the thought over and over and over throughout the day, prob hundreds of times. I even get tired of it but have a very hard time changing or turning off the thought.

Or is that OCD?

um, it could be either. is your mood currently stable? if so, it might more likely be something else. if you're unstable mood wise at the moment, it's POSSIBLE though not necessarily POSITIVELY the BP.

What does your doc think, have you discussed this?

Anna

Not strictly a symptom of bipolar. However as mentioned, can be an indicator of your condition becoming stressed. After months of discussion and wrangling with my pdoc over my experience, she decided that it was 'intrusive/obsessive thoughts' but not OCD. She added Cymbalta which has helped tremendously.

That has been happening to me severely since I have been diagnosed. I become obsessive over certain things, though until now I have never attached it to OCD. Just a question, do you mean the though -repeats it self in exact words- throughout the day? Because that's not how it is for me... It's more like I will keep thinking of something but in can stray into different ways of looking at it along the way though there is a main thought about it that can be repetitive.

I'm honestly curious so that I could compare... lol.

That has been happening to me severely since I have been diagnosed. I become obsessive over certain things, though until now I have never attached it to OCD. Just a question, do you mean the though -repeats it self in exact words- throughout the day? Because that's not how it is for me... It's more like I will keep thinking of something but in can stray into different ways of looking at it along the way though there is a main thought about it that can be repetitive.

I actually do both, I tend to repeat a phrase or sentence or a line from a song in my head over and over but I notice on days I go to see my pdoc I will constantly go over what I am gonna say to him. Sometime I will add ideals to it and sometimes I remove things. I will try to imagine how he will hear what I am saying. I will start that a couple days before my appt. Many time when I am there talking with him things don't go like I've been rehursing in my head. Then when I leave I will second guess my appointment with him...example I over analyze what I've said to him and question whether I expressed myself correctly and if he understood. That will last for a couple days after.

In conversations with people I meet or have much respect for I do the same thing. I will bounce part of the conversation off my wife and she will tell me i was fine, don't worry about it. I still do tho and will think about what I could have said differently or if I was misunderstood.

Not strictly a symptom of bipolar. However as mentioned, can be an indicator of your condition becoming stressed. After months of discussion and wrangling with my pdoc over my experience, she decided that it was 'intrusive/obsessive thoughts' but not OCD. She added Cymbalta which has helped tremendously.

Funny u mention cymbalta. I am on it and have been trying to push back the time of day I take it. I was taking it in the morning but trying to push it back till after dinner by taking it a couple hours later each day. I can feel when I am do to take it cause my mind is more restless and jumpy. Looking back on it the last time I had those repetitive thoughts was about 23-24 hours after last dose. I used to wake up and take it so I used to sleep thro that part. I will note when I have those thought and if the keep up near dose time I might have to go back to taking it in the morning.

When I'm hypo/manic, I hear "sound repetitions" Like one line from a song over and over again. Or the sound of a police siren. Or a door closing. I rarely have this problem when I'm stable.

I also obsess over what I'm going to say (and what's going to happen) about every dr appt I go to. I chalk that up to anxiety of the unknown and my vain attempts to control every unpredictable aspect of my life.

I actually do both, I tend to repeat a phrase or sentence or a line from a song in my head over and over but I notice on days I go to see my pdoc I will constantly go over what I am gonna say to him. Sometime I will add ideals to it and sometimes I remove things. I will try to imagine how he will hear what I am saying. I will start that a couple days before my appt. Many time when I am there talking with him things don't go like I've been rehursing in my head. Then when I leave I will second guess my appointment with him...example I over analyze what I've said to him and question whether I expressed myself correctly and if he understood. That will last for a couple days after.

In conversations with people I meet or have much respect for I do the same thing. I will bounce part of the conversation off my wife and she will tell me i was fine, don't worry about it. I still do tho and will think about what I could have said differently or if I was misunderstood.

Oh my god I do this so much. I'll get a word or phrase stuck in my head (especially if I'm anxious) and I'll repeat it endlessly. Sometimes it chills me out, but mostly it disturbs me when I'm doing it, because it seems like such an abnormal thing to do. Thank god for these boards, I'm running across so much stuff that I thought I was the only crazy person doing.

I also do the rehearsing conversations in my head thing.

This happens to me all the time. Mostly it is a few lines from a song, but sometimes it could be a sentence concerning something I am beating up myself about. Usually only a drastic physical activity will get it out of my head. Or a task that demands my complete focus. Sometimes I can wake up with the same damn song in my head. I do think this has improved tremendously since taking meds.

I have never really noticed whether this occurs more often while I am stressed. It's as if my mind has to snatch on to something and refuses to let go until soothed. Seems like OCD to me. Also a bit of depression rumination stuck into the mix as well.

Archived