CrazyBoards.org

for anxiety/panic and does it do anything?

My regular dr. suggested that because my psych doesn't prescribe Xanax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep.  It's like Benadryl on Steroids. 

It will knock you out like having a boulder drop on your head -- at first.

After a while, you'll just get into this kind of groovy, relaxed mode where things just aren't spazzing you out any longer. 

Given the choice between it and Xanax, I'd definitely take the non-addicting Vistaril.  Especially during mosquito season (nothing itches - it's an antihistamine...).

I like it. Long as you don't have to take it say at work or something. I don't think that would be good until you were used to it.

I took it many years ago and have since had xanax prn, but Im going to ask for the visteril again. Much better for relaxing and getting to sleep, for ME.

Its cheap so give it a whirl.

CC~

• 2 weeks later...

some doc's arent ALLOWED to prescribe benzo's . i went to one. he said that the only way i could get it is if i went on birth control, cus if i got pregnant while on benzo, i could have birth deffects. well, i was on kolonopin when i found out i was pregnant a year later, and stopped taking it, and my boy is just fine. but that can happen. i dont know if your female or male, but that could be the issue, or that the pdoc just isnt allowed to prescibe them,,this was at a new doc who you pay 20 dollars to see in cash,, so if its a low income clinic, they cant do it usually.

Guest FrannyNZooey

I was given vistaril for mosqito bites, poison ivy etc. I can not fight off such rashes hives on own, so need prednisone packet or two also. Took lower during day(vistaril), so not knocked out, but much better than Benadryl for itch stopped me from tearing away at hives at night, and really good sleep, actually, thanks may bring that one up to doc for sleep. Sleep meds do crap for me, just been using over the counter benadryl.

Aly

• 4 years later...
Guest Paniclife

I am shocked that your doc would not, well not so much, prescribe xanax, I have run across that with MD's but I told that to to PsyMd's and they laughed, they separately believed benzo's to be harmless, and yes mildly addictive in large doses, but in managed doses harmless and useful. What I find really funny is I asked my various shrinks over the last 3 years to give me vistaril since I A: Already take Benedryl for my anxiety related insomnia, and B: it is another antihystamine that has the effect of inducing sleep as well as reducing my pre-existing anxiety conditions (yes I have both panic and GAD, YAY for me) so therefore logic would dictate give an antihystamine that induces sleep as well as treats my PD, and GAD, right, I am thinking right, yeah, I know I am only a Mental Health Associate, Med Aide in this state, but I think I know some generalized half as-s bs about stuff that I am personally administering to my own patients, uh yeah givin... Anyway... I just thought suggesting a less addictive medication not in compensation for the xanax, but hopefully something that could minimize my dosage of PRN xanax, just saying I thought it was a good idea, seeing as xanax does have a mild addictive quality, which is actually magnified for people with anxiety disorders as separation from the drug induces panic attacks. I was told, ironically, if I was fine on Xanax to just keep taking it, and another second opinion told me to take elavil instead, which actually, as a tricyclic antidepressant, caused so many side effects it made life unbearable. Still, I can't get a doc to give me vistaril, weird???

Dead. Thread. Look at the date of the original post. It's 2005.

I received no relief from vistoril. So if you take benzos, it's not going to be a magic pill for you. It calms down the body's reaction to stress, but does nothing for your mind's thinking while being stressed out.

My doctor told me to start taking vistaril as as needed for panic attacks. I am on zoloft and had been taking klonopin as needed. I told my psych that I want to have a baby in the next couple of years so I didn't get used to klonopin. I took one 25mg vistaril for the first time and it actually made me feel worse! I had panic attacks and shaking, so I took a klonopin.

Has anyone else ever experienced vistaril making you worse?

Wow, who dug up this fossil? Anyways, I love it, but I'd never taken benzos for an extended period of time. And I need something can relieve anxiety and still leave me functional and able to work, socialize and not feel or appear drugged. Vistaril does take the edge off the anxiety (I'll take one or two 25 mg pills depending on whatever the heck happened to upset me) and it will keep me from pacing, drumming my fingers and all that other stuff that I do when I become anxious. But my thinking isn't slowed and I certainly don't get drowsy.

Edited by fluffybirdie
  • 3 months later...

I tried Vistaril once and thought it totally sucked. I couldn't wait for it to wear off. My p-doc loves Ativan and Klonopin-he thinks they are very safe and very effective and prescribes them with no fuss. For some reason he won't prescribe xanax or any other benzo-he mumbled something about too addicting.

Anyways why not find another doc who will prescribe it or some other benzo?

• 5 years later...