CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar and epilepsy

I'm dx'd w/ Bipolar I. A med complication for me is that I have (mostly controlled) epilepsy, and it seems that any meds that have a higher risk of causing seizures tend to cause them for me. So the dr.'s have to be very careful and the seizure risk causes me to miss out on a lot of meds that could be helping me. I take Lamictal and I guess that should help as a mood stablizer but it doesn't, but it does help the epilepsy.

Has anyone been through something similar and found something that works?

In this instance I'd try the Dr. Stahl approach of trying more than one AC at a time to see if you can catch all your symptoms. this sometimes works. that said, I'm not a doctor. But yes, many other drugs that might work can drop seizure thresholds through the floor.

Anna

Thanks. I think I'm going to ask my psychiatrist to call my neuro. and see if they can come up with a plan that will work on both the epilepsy and the bipolar at the same time.

I think that's a great idea. When you have conditions where the medications you take for them overlap and effect each other and each condition so much, it is a good idea for the doctors to work close together. I think that is definitely in your best interest. You know the saying "two heads are better than one"? Well, maybe together they can come up with a successful treatment plan for your conditions (and maybe a few alternate options as well).

Archived