CrazyBoards.org

Introduction

Guest Vapourware

Hai there, welcome to the boards. Perhaps you might want to tell us more about why you are here and what made you join our site.

Erich, you're certainly welcome to hang out here, but I assume you know that this is a support & information board for people with mental illnesses?

I hope you have recovered from that scotch and not died of alcohol poisoning. We have a substance abuse forum if you want to talk about your drinking problem.

olga

Yes I am aware of that. Seems everyone here is freely seeking treatment or already gotten it. I was hoping to get some idea of whats wrong with me and advice on coping with it, supposing there is something wrong with me. I don't think it should be said to be wrong if life has led me to be as I am should that not be how I am supposed to be? Who gets to say their mind is better then mine?

As to the scotch, I dont think I have a drinking problem, I just like a good scotch or a bourbon. The Glenlivet 12 year single malt scotch. Delicious. I suppose that I am taking unnecessary risks to drink, and that it is compromising my physical performance (important to my job) means it is a problem but I remain for the most part as functional as I may be despite it. Plus I have had substance abuse problems leading to hospitalization and clinical death before, so as irrational as it sounds I can see when I'm going off the rails thanks to that experience.

Re-reading that it doesn't sound as though I'm setting a good defense for myself, but to further try and explain it would be to just dig myself deeper.

You must feel that there is something wrong with your mental functioning, or you wouldn't have checked out Crazyboards and then posted. If you need to see a doctor, that's the first step to being diagnosed. Most of us had an inkling that our lives weren't going too smoothly, so we sought out help either from our GP, or a psychiatrist, or a therapist.

We can't diagnose you. I can tell you that several of our members spent many years self-medicating with alcohol and/or drugs of various kinds. In the end, you haven't done anything positive for the mental illness, and you've wasted time and money being drunk or stoned. (Not to mention the damage to your liver, brain, heart, etc.)

We aren't doctors. We tell everyone who comes here to seek professional treatment. We're here for peer support and to share information about the various psych drugs and methods of therapy. We prop each other up, too, in the rough times.

I hope you can see a doctor and be honest with him/her about your issues.

olga

I'm functional but only just so. I don't think other people experience, perceive, or process things the same way I do. There are things that give me that impression so yeah i guess if everyone else is right my mind is wrong. Self-medicating did help me get through 5 or so years doing alright. But now I can't do that, nor can I get professional treatment as I would likely lose my job over it. But even if I was free to seek help, I don't think I could make myself do it.

Seriously, seeking help is the best thing that you can do. I posted a response to your blog because it came across to me that you really are suffering. Self-medication is really not the best route for any of us, but as Olga said it is something that a lot of us have done at one point or another. I am one of those people and it really was a bad idea.

There is help available, and you do not have to tell your employer. Would you be thinking the same way over a physical symptom?

Seriously, seeking help is the best thing that you can do. I posted a response to your blog because it came across to me that you really are suffering. Self-medication is really not the best route for any of us, but as Olga said it is something that a lot of us have done at one point or another. I am one of those people and it really was a bad idea.

There is help available, and you do not have to tell your employer. Would you be thinking the same way over a physical symptom?

Unfortunately my situation is a little different the most normal employer employee relationships lol. And maybe some day I'll be able to, I mean hell five years ago I wouldn't have said anything about it anonymous as I am here or not. I just don't see it being feasible in the next 5 or so years.

Archived