CrazyBoards.org

Adderall + Kpin/xanax combo - good or bad?

Hey all,

This is my first post on this board, so let me go ahead and give you some background info on me. I am 24 years old now and was prescribed to a mood stabilizer and adderall during my college career. After I graduated from college last year, I decided to take a break from my adderall prescription since I didn't really need it anymore. A few months later I also discontinued my mood stabilizer, and have been on nothing for about 8 months now. Well, I start law school next week and have an appointment scheduled with my doctor to discuss going back on the adderall for basically the same reasons I was prescribed it in college. The only difference this time is I want to try the time-released version. So I expect to be on 20mg XR ED.

I don't want to be put back on the mood stabilizer though. Instead, I was wondering if a small dosage of klonopin or xanax could work well to relieve stress and help with the come-down of adderall. Starting my first year of law school, I will have a high tendency to get stressed out after being "revved up" on adderall for 12 hours a day. It's bad enough that I have terrible sleeping problems naturally, and being put on adderall and starting law school will only exacerbate this problem, which is why I want to address it quickly before I burn out.

I was also wondering if using a very small amount like .25mg of klonopin or xanax would be good to take with my adderall in the morning. The environment of law school is very up-tight and competitive, which is why I am concerned that taking adderall alone might heighten my social anxiety and edginess, the same way that it has done so in the past. I want to be able to focus for a long period of time without getting anxious, nervous, and uptight. Can a benzo be used sparingly in the morning when I take my adderall, and at night to help me rest, for the reasons that I've provided? Also, there's been a few occasions when I've gotten benzos from my friends to help me sleep, should I mention that to my doctor? He has always been very cool with prescribing me stuff.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Have you tried therapy for ADHD? It can be very effective for some. My thoughts are that if you are fine living benzo free without adderall, it is better for you to address the inattention without taking a drug that requires another drug. Benzos can be addictive for a lot of people. You are going right to a benzo to bring you down off an Adderall high, with the adderall to deal with the anxiety it provokes in you, and at night to sleep.

If you are still up 12 hours after taking Adderall, don't take the XR. That should solve that benzo need there. If you get an anxiety like feeling from Adderall, try a different stim or therapy as mentioned. If you have sleeping issues, try exercise in the morning and sleep hygiene or if that doesn't work, talk to you doc about regular sleeping pills. Although you may not intend to be, right now you sound benzo seeking.

If you need a stabilizer, then, nope, Klonopin or Xanax will not suffice.

Hi. I deleted your other post to avoid confusion. We find it works better if people post on just one board.

Ok thanks I didn't know what category to put it in :)

No problem. It happens. If we have a problem with where something is stuck, we move it. Just give it your best shot.

This isn't meant to be a permanent solution. This is just to help get me through law school with great grades and health. I go to a top tier law school, so the stresses are freakishly high. I will reassess the benzo addition at the end of my first year, which is known as being the most stressful year in a law students career. Plus, I will drop the adderall after school ends. I have successfully gotten off of adderall multiple times in the past, and have no doubts that I can do that again. I actually don't like taking them, but I do it because I can't focus without them. The same applies with the benzos. I will ween myself off of them because I can't afford to test positive for any drug tests in the future. So consider this all a temporary solution to cope with a very difficult time in which the average member of society isn't built to endure.I am all for the natural remedies, but right now they don't cut it.

You might try Vyvanse, I find it to be very smooth as you come off of it. The stress seems separate from issues caused by Adderal. You can certainly treat it with benzos, there are no interactions mixing benzos and amphetamine that I am aware of. I do it. My Ativan use predates my taking Vyvanse by a long time. It's a risk/benefit question as to take another med for the side effects of a med. I think it is better to first try changing dose or dosing times and consider trying other meds if you can't find another solution.

nf

My suggestion is to wait and see how you will react to law school rather than trying to find meds for a nonexistent problem (or nonexistent as of now). You might thrive in law school. It happens.

SSRIs are always good for anxiety. May I ask why you were on a mood stabilizer in the past? Some med stabilizers provide some protection against anxiety.

Taking benzos to counteract stimulants doesn't sound like a good idea. no.

It would make sense trying lower dosages; trying another stim starting at low dosage....

In addition to the Vyvnase another (non-stimulant) is Strattera, which I take, and possibly Concerta...

You need to carefully lay out a plan to maintain stability during school. You already know you are vulnerable to upset so abusing your body and brain is not an option, despite the romanticism and bad examples many of your classmates will set. Regular sleep, daily exercise and sunlight, minimize caffiene and alcohol, making time for friends, family and relaxation. Finally, making sure you have arrangements for close access to a GP doc, pdoc and therapist!

Good luck!

My suggestion is to wait and see how you will react to law school rather than trying to find meds for a nonexistent problem (or nonexistent as of now). You might thrive in law school. It happens.

SSRIs are always good for anxiety. May I ask why you were on a mood stabilizer in the past? Some med stabilizers provide some protection against anxiety.

Now isn't the time for trial and error. I already know that I'll have great results from the adderall/functional equivalent because of my positive experience taking it in college. I will discuss replacing addys with vyvanse with my doctor.... The benzo will be used to help me sleep and on an "as needed" basis for stressful situations. I'm worried that I'll become an alcoholic if I don't have a way to decompress and get my rest. One way or another I will be seeking a benzo (ambien has been discussed in the past) to help with the sleep and "come down".

I was prescribed a mood stabilizer to help with my sleep and to combat my manac behavior. Through behavior modification techniques, I have learned to control my manic depressiveness. I smoke weed if I need help sleeping. That's another reason why I would rather be prescribed something by a doctor.

You need to calm down a little. I went to a first tier law school. It is hard, and the general intelligence level is higher than college, but you are psyching yourself out. If you were able to get in, you will likely graduate.

And frankly, you won't understand anything at first, which is totally normal, but you sound prepared to flip out.

And your adderall/benzo theory doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, saying that taking benzos for 3 years is "temporary" is just not the case. Granted, I have been on benzos longer than that, but I am treating anxiety, and I haven't needed to raise my dose. And, if I needed to come off of them, I am prepared to take the several months it will take to titrate off. Are you going to want to be doing that during your bar course? Or your first year of work after law school? I don't think so.

Also, 1st year is hard because it is scary. 2nd year is the year you work hardest.

I will be seeking a benzo (ambien has been discussed in the past) to help with the sleep and "come down".

Of course everyone is different, but you may not need something to "come down" at this point. I've got a kid on Vyvanse that goes to bed with no problem because he gets up at the same time (early), takes his med at the same time (early) and is self aware enough to just veg out during the period the Vyvanse is wearing off. I think if I had told him he would *need* a benzo to get through the end of his days, he might think he did. It's just not an option, so he's fine without. My ex-husband also has ADD & never needed additional meds to come down/sleep (other friends had similar responses).

Through behavior modification techniques, I have learned to control my manic depressiveness. I smoke weed if I need help sleeping.

Have you been diagnosed with bipolar disorder? Behavior modification and weed aren't generally useful for true bipolar disorder. And yes, that is my personal experience.

You need to calm down a little. I went to a first tier law school. It is hard, and the general intelligence level is higher than college, but you are psyching yourself out. If you were able to get in, you will likely graduate.

And frankly, you won't understand anything at first, which is totally normal, but you sound prepared to flip out.

And your adderall/benzo theory doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, saying that taking benzos for 3 years is "temporary" is just not the case. Granted, I have been on benzos longer than that, but I am treating anxiety, and I haven't needed to raise my dose. And, if I needed to come off of them, I am prepared to take the several months it will take to titrate off. Are you going to want to be doing that during your bar course? Or your first year of work after law school? I don't think so.

Also, 1st year is hard because it is scary. 2nd year is the year you work hardest.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about using a vyvanse/weed combo instead of adderall/kpin or xanny combo. The former is surely safer for me.

MMJ is not a treatment for BP illness. If you are not in a MMJ state, going to law school while purchasing street drugs might be unwise. To be honest, not that many people used street drugs, alcohol was far and away the drug of choice for law students.

And if for some reason you do get a prescription, you have to tell your pdoc that you are using it. Otherwise, you really aren't giving your pdoc all the info s/he needs.

My pdoc is aware of my use, and although I saw him today and said I found it didn't mix with AAPs, he was still totally fine with my continuing to use it if I started having less of an interaction.

ALSO, and this is important, I am BPII, and do not have psychoses. Pot can trigger psychoses, and since you are still young, if you are BPI, or BP NOS, you don't actually know if you will ever have psychotic features; you don't want to find out you are prone to them while in law school.

safer than taking a benzo

Thats a joke ! Benzos are some of the safest meds, you can't kill yourself with them at quantities most people have on hand. LD50 is very high. However emphysema will kill you.

nf

safer than taking a benzo

Thats a joke ! Benzos are some of the safest meds, you can't kill yourself with them at quantities most people have on hand. LD50 is very high. However emphysema will kill you.

nf

Oh yea like 5mg of xanax and some liquor won't kill you. Get real. Don't bother trying to compare fatality deaths between benzos and weed either because nobody has ever died from smoking herb; can't say the same about pills. Benzos are also horrendously addictive, whereas you can stop smoking weed without any withdrawal.

Archived