CrazyBoards.org

Dating/marriage to someone with the same disorder?

Hey, I'm currently dating someone who has the same diagnosis as me, Bipolar. Just off of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone else on this site has/is dating or married to someone with the same disorder (on the Bipolar spectrum)? I know it's uncommon, just wanted to see if others on the forum have experienced this?

We were both friends before we got diagnosed, and are still teenagers. If anyone replies I might ask you what that can be like in the long run? (We've only been dating for a year, and he's not quite stable though we have never had an episode at the same time).

Kay Jamison and Fred Goodwin in their textbook say that people with Bipolar Disorder have higher than average divorce rates. Further their research showed that couples where both have the disorder have even higher divorce rates.

Given an ideal world, it would be best to marry someone healthy, mature, who is supportive and understanding of your illness.

On the other hand, I think anyone considering serious dating or marriage, should discuss and consider such things as: Are you both mature people; is your relationship mature and adult level; are both stable, med compliant, able to support yourselves and function in society?

Premarital counseling with one or both your pdocs and additionally with either a cleric or marital counselor would be wise in assessing your relationship and potential for success.

a.m.

Lost wolves do not find a mate. The drama that comes with any relationship I cant handle. Plus I'm on disability and no woman wants a man who cant support them. I am learning to except that I may be alone and lonely for the rest of my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Lost wolves do not find a mate. The drama that comes with any relationship I cant handle. Plus I'm on disability and no woman wants a man who cant support them. I am learning to except that I may be alone and lonely for the rest of my life.

I don't need a man to support me. I would be fine with a prospective partner not working if it was for a good reason like a disability/chronic illness. I can't work full time but I study and have casual work, I'm on disability too.

My partner doesn't support me, I'm on welfare and manage on my own finances. I don't want a big earner, just someone to stand by me emotionally.

Archived