CrazyBoards.org

I've just been discovered.

i'm not sure there is a "usual" consequence. my mother made sure i was in therapy. and 2 years later still thinks every scrape i get is a self-inflicted wound. its a bit annoying but not the worst that could happen. i'm not very open with my parents though, so they assume a lot of things.

i know a girl who's mother made her go to a type of anti-cutting camp for 3 weeks.

and others that spent some time in an inpatient hospital.

it really varies quite a lot.

i hope your mother will handle it well! good luck to you!

First of all, she's going to likely call your dad and go batshit about it, if I were you, I would ask them for help, and I would suck it up and go to the best mental health facility oriented to your problem that your parents can afford. Seize this as an opportunity to get better.

On a tangent, how did you get caught?

Hmm...well, my parents assured me that, if they caught me doing it again, they would see to it that I was admitted to the nearest psychiatric hospital. They said that if I couldn't control myself, I had to be somewhere that could take care of me. It stopped the cutting, but it didn't stop the self-injury, it just made me get more creative about it. Not exactly the most helpful of reactions, but it could have been a lot worse.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let me just say that my mother knew when I was no more than 10 that I was self harming, and she never said a word about it. I wish she would have. I could have gotten help 25 or 30 years ago instead of just starting to get it now. I know how terrifying it must be for you to be facing this so unexpectedly today, but in the long term you may be much better off. Please take care and know that there are many other people who have gone through what you're about to. Hang in there and you'll be OK.

This is definitely going to be uncomfortable and awkward. It just isn't something that is easily spoken about.

All parents are different, so how my parents reacted thirteen years ago could be much different than how your parents will react.

They will probably be worried; they probably won't understand.

The fact that you are self harming though, obviously means that you are hurting and have some issues that need tending to. Use this to start a dialogue about seeing a therapist and maybe a psychiatrist in order to get the help you need. You don't have to always resort to cutting. Right now, though, it is the coping mechanism that works best for you. You can learn to deal with stressers is non-harmful ways, by using proper and healthy coping mechanisms. The first step in doing this is to seek the help... and want it.

Good luck with your parents.

When I got caught, there was a looad of crying on my part, and a load of not understanding on my Mum's part. My Dad still doesn't know (he lives abroad). The bad is that it meant that I got more creative about self-harming (where to do it, and what excuses to use). The good is that my Mum offered to pay for me to get proper therapy. It's probably going to be unpleasant, and I know this is difficult, but try to take some good from it?

Yeah, bad advice, I know. Good luck.

N

• 1 month later...

When I was 15 or so my mom found out about me cutting myself (I told a friend who told his mom who told my mom) but I managed to lie enough to convince her that it wasn't true (I said I had lied about cutting and told my friend that I cut because I wanted attention). She dropped the issue and we didn't talk about it again and I continued to SI and become more depressed and anxious until I had to drop out of college temporarily to get help. Reading your post now I realize that even though it would have been a really uncomfortable situation if I hadn't lied about it, I would have gotten the help I needed a long time before I did. I understand that it could be really hard to think about this as a positive turn of events but maybe in the long-run it could be for the better (if you're in a situation where you'd be able to go get the help that you need). Good luck.

Ask your parents to take you to a therapist, and ask them to read a good book on SI, so that they understand better. You are better off cooperating, but also telling them you'd like to try stopping as an outpatient if you can. This is possible to do. So be as open as you can, admit you have a problem, and commit to working on it and they are less likely to freak out.

But, working WITH them is probably going to be your first step.

Don't forget, being caught is an opportunity to stop. should you choose. There are many pinned threads here about SI, and about coping, you could also consider printing out a few to show to your parents, etc.

Anna

Im 23 and my mom still goes batshit crazy. hehe. I cut reguarly but have learned to hide it well. If youre still living with your parents be prepared to be misunderstood and judged :( Theyll probably have you see a therapist which might be good. Good luck dude!!

Archived