CrazyBoards.org

Weird Episodes

I wasn't really sure where to put this, seeing as I haven't been diagnosed with anything close to a dissociative disorder. However, for the last couple of months I've been having weird episodes that normally occur when I'm having sex/being intimate with my SO. These episodes seem to be similar to what some people describe when they have dissociative episodes... Basically, I get this sense of not being myself, that I'm in a situation that I would never be in, and that therefore it can't be me, and I should get away from where I am. I feel like I have no control over my own body. I sometimes have panic attacks over it. These have occured at other times, but recently almost exclusively during sex.

Well, I wanted to bring it up, anyway. Has anybody else felt this way? Should I bring it up to my doctor (it's a bit weird, because my doctor is male and I'm female, but I could manage if I needed to). I only mention it because it makes things a bit weird between me and my boyfriend if I start freaking out every time we have sex...

Feedback would be welcome.

Thanks,

N

If it's having such a large effect on your sex life (EVERY time, damn), you should definitely bring it up with your doctor, even if it's a bit awkward. And while it hasn't happened to me in the specific situations you've described, I have had panic attacks associated with my dissociation (oh god oh god what's happening).

You say this has happened on other occasions that were not sex. Did you notice any patters with those? That could help you figure out what the ultimate trigger is (if you determine that sex isn't the real trigger that is).

Thanks for taking my concerns seriously! Next time I see my doctor, I'll follow your advice.

As for other occurences, here are the ones I can think of off-hand:

-sometimes it happens randomly for no reason

-recently, it's started happening when I have personal contact with my parents (since I don't see my Mum as often now that I'm at uni, and I hardly see my Dad at all because he lives abroad, I guess this is triggered by the change in family dynamics/situation).

-it happens in highly social situations, such as parties, or social dinners, especially when I'm with people I don't know too well, or people that I don't usually go out with (e.g. my sports friends). This has led to me avoiding that kind of situations.

That's all I can think of now, but if I come up with anymore I'll post them

Thanks!

N

Archived