CrazyBoards.org

Not sleeping through the night anymore

So I was sleeping beautifully through the night and heavily sleeping too. Now I wake up between 2am-4:30am and get up and usually am half awake and have to have something to eat. Bad I know. And I usually have to take an allergy pill because I am wheezing so bad from the cat dander/fur. Can zyprexa make you wheeze? Benedryl seems to do the trick. And I can then get back to sleep in about an hour. So it's just moderately annoying. But do you think I'm waking up because the benedryl is wearing off and I start wheezing/needing to cough a bit? Or is it the zyprexa making me wheeze? Seems unlikely right, that the zyprexa would make me wheeze? But I just wake up feeling the need to cough and wheeze when I breathe. Plus I need to sneeze quite a few times as well and need to blow my nose.

Do you think that once the cat is gone that I will return to sleeping through the night?

Or am I doomed to waking up during the night and eating? I HATE EATING DURING THE NIGHT!!! It makes me feel sick in the morning.

What do you think? I mean it has to be the lack of anti-histamine in my system, right?

Waking up in the middle of the night is no fun. Are you able to give your doc a call? It sounds like your allergies may be go crazy while your sleeping (going by what you said) and I know when that happens to me I need to take more meds before I'm able to sleep. Elevating my upper body while sleeping helps some times as well when wheezing gets bad.

Hope you get some relief soon and can sleep through the night again.

The idea that the benadryl is wearing off and, as a result, the cat is irritating your allergies, makes the most sense to me at least. I hadn't thought about pet allergies being so significant that they would cause this, but then I realized that I will wake up in the middle of the night for coughs when I have a cold, so maybe its the same idea. Plus the fact that you are semi awake (suggesting if allergies weren't kicking in, you might still be asleep) and the fact that all the symptoms you name can be allergy symptoms.

I do not see any reason why it would be the zyprexa. I would assume that if you had an allergy to the med, it would happen after you took it. But I think you've taken it before without any issues, right? There just happened to not be a cat there?

I am wracking my brain and the other time I was on zyprexa I was having seasonal allergies and after I worked out I would wheeze a bit. But I slept through the night I am pretty sure of that. I am taking klonopin on top of traz and zyprexa and just wondering if it was too CNS depressing. You know? But you can pry that klonopin out of my cold dead hands you know? Right now I took some benedryl and am not wheezing at all though. So it's got to be allergy related. I think that that is my best guess and I am going to try a 24 hour OTC allergy pill instead of benedryl.

I wouldn't totally rule out it being partly the zyprexa, sedating drugs like zyprexa can cause shortness of breath(not particularly wheezing), but usually it occurs only when doing physical activity, and also i doubt that it's sleep apnea either. I guess try benadryl 24 hour if they have that, or I believe they have zyrtec 24 hour.

I read on the NIH website that zyprexa frequently causes weight gain and increased appetite and rarely causes somnolence (which is feeling really sleepy). So, I think you're right about the allergies waking you up. The zyprexa is probably causing the munchies. Maybe you could try a snack before bed, like Sras says, and wait until right before you go to sleep to take your benadryl?

Hope it gets better soon!

I wouldn't totally rule out it being partly the zyprexa, sedating drugs like zyprexa can cause shortness of breath(not particularly wheezing), but usually it occurs only when doing physical activity, and also i doubt that it's sleep apnea either. I guess try benadryl 24 hour if they have that, or I believe they have zyrtec 24 hour.

Blart, do you have any actual evidence for this assertion that zyprexa causes shortness of breath? That's not anything I've experienced, or can remember anyone else I've known experiencing, or have ever read anything about. So, please clarify if this is something you've personally experienced, have heard or read of someone else experiencing, or are just kind of guessing at. We have asked you to do this more times than I cam count, it's incredibly annoying to have to continue doing so.

Just an update. Well I took it around 7 or maybe 8pm and I wasn't wheezing at all. But I woke up around 4:15am and needed to cough and wheeze and sneeze. I just got some water really quick and went right back to bed. So last night was successful I would say. So I guess the 24 hour pills are better than the benedryl. I bought the off brand allegra. They are like horse pills!!!!!

Blart, do you have any actual evidence for this assertion that zyprexa causes shortness of breath? That's not anything I've experienced, or can remember anyone else I've known experiencing, or have ever read anything about. So, please clarify if this is something you've personally experienced, have heard or read of someone else experiencing, or are just kind of guessing at. We have asked you to do this more times than I cam count, it's incredibly annoying to have to continue doing so.

I'm not making it up, just because you yourself haven't experienced shortness of breath while taking zyprexa or seroquel, doesn't mean no one else has. I experienced it while on the following drugs "seroquel, gabapentin, and lexapro." In addition, others i've talked to at a treatment center I went to, also experienced such things, They also, like me were on more than one medication, alongwith an atypical like seroquel.

I'm not making it up, just because you yourself haven't experienced shortness of breath while taking zyprexa or seroquel, doesn't mean no one else has. I experienced it while on the following drugs "seroquel, gabapentin, and lexapro." In addition, others i've talked to at a treatment center I went to, also experienced such things, They also, like me were on more than one medication, alongwith an atypical like seroquel.

Blart, when you're taking multiple meds, how is it you think you can divine which one is causing which side effect? And don't you have asthma, or some sort of breathing issue to beging with?

In any case, this was something you personally experienced. Please be sure to specify that in future posts.

Archived