CrazyBoards.org

Songs constantly stuck in my head

I hate to keep asking if things are BP symptoms, but I'm just learning.

Is music running through your mind all day a symptom? I can't fall asleep because of it sometimes. I always thought everyone had this until I talked to my family about it.

Anyone have ideas on how to combat this?

Drugs. :lol: Kidding. Sort of. Klonopin takes care of it usually if it's really bad, like the Farmer's Insurance jingle running through my head like a broken record. Otherwise i put on good music so that replaces the crap my brain comes up with. The other day it was Mary Poppins... :wtf:

.... like the Farmer's Insurance jingle running through my head like a broken record.

Great! Now I have THAT cemented and playing in my brain!tongue.gif

If there is not some actual auditory noise (music, tv, conversation) then my brain automatically goes to it's own playlist and hits play. I don't pick what music is playing. What freaks me out is that I can wake up in the middle of the night and there is a song already playing in my head. Then I wake up in the morning, and that song is still playing, like it's on repeat. I always thought that was normal and happened to everyone. Now that I have found out it's not normal, I notice it every time it happens, which is driving me crazy.

I just did the stupidest (most stupid??) thing I could have done. I couldn't remember the farmers insurance jingle... so I looked it up on youtube. :( Lmao! I'm such an idiot. But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

I always thought that was normal... but then, I'm from a very musical family.

I thought that it was normal too. I get it all the time and I do not have bipolar. Some of the time I don't mind, and other times I hate it (especially if it is a song from a TV advert that I hate, or similar).

The only time that I can think of that this has been a problem was once when I had a song about rain going around in my head, and it was raining. I thought that I was controlling the weather with my thoughts, and it was only raining because I had the song about the rain in my head. I could not get rid of that song.

I've had songs stick in my brain ever since I was a child, so I don't know if it's connected to bp (I didn't start showing signs until my early teens). But when I'm manic, all sorts of things echo in my brain for no reason (ambulances, police sirens, cat breathing, helicopters, etc) and I do believe that those continuous noise intrusions are part of my bp.

I think it depends. Everyone, bipolar or not, gets earworms, which is when you can't get a particular song out of your head. I don't know if the same is true if you actually have a "sound track" with different pieces of music running through your head.

I know I sometimes will think of an album I am listening to a lot, and kind of run through it in my head, but that is voluntary, I've been doing it my whole life, especially when I am bored. I hum through a lot of albums without really noticing it.

If it is creating so much mental noise that you can't concentrate, then I would be concerned.

If there is not some actual auditory noise (music, tv, conversation) then my brain automatically goes to it's own playlist and hits play. I don't pick what music is playing. What freaks me out is that I can wake up in the middle of the night and there is a song already playing in my head. Then I wake up in the morning, and that song is still playing, like it's on repeat. I always thought that was normal and happened to everyone. Now that I have found out it's not normal, I notice it every time it happens, which is driving me crazy.

i totally get this. sometimes i wonder if it's a crazy thing or if my brain got used to hearing music constantly as a child. my father played the stereo constantly for my entire 16 years at home, as did his mother when he was a child. i carried on the tradition, and now my (adult) child complains about songs stuck in her head so she has to play new songs to push the old ones out. which i totally understand.

maybe where the crazy comes in is how insistent/loud the music is. or how much it interferes with being able to think. i know it comes and goes for me.

What freaks me out is that I can wake up in the middle of the night and there is a song already playing in my head. Then I wake up in the morning, and that song is still playing, like it's on repeat.

I get that too. It's annoying. Yet another sign that most of my brain is on auto-pilot....... sometimes I feel like I'm just along for the ride.

I was told that escalating intensity of songs in your head (or other stuff repeating on a loop) is a hypomanic symptom.

I don't trust the tdoc that told me this (she was wrong about a lot of things....felt good to fire her!), but this doesn't seem too far fetched; it's probably true.

I was told that escalating intensity of songs in your head (or other stuff repeating on a loop) is a hypomanic symptom.

I've never heard this before, but it's sure as hell true for me. Song loops with racing thoughts crackling and whistling by in a layer over the soundtrack are a fixture of my mixed episodes, too. I think of them as the corollary of the bad, demented intrusive thoughts that arrive and stay when I'm depressed. Perhaps I should just say that unsolicited word-based noise setting up camp in my mind and defeating my ability to concentrate is a feature of my form of crazy.

I also have a sort of playlist. Goes all the way through the song. People have told me that if a song is stuck in their head it's usually just part of the chorus or something. But that's not true with me (and it seems a lot of other people).

I've had Enter Sandman in my head for 2 days. Bad song to have in your head when the paranoia is at it's worst.

when I am there really there I'll find someone and sing it out loud really loud and it seems to stop for some strange reason its kinda passing it on and we do it all the time at work but look out my buddy hits me with some verse from the day the music died and here we go again

One, recurrent songs in the head don't make us crazy. We already is. :P

But yeah.......sometimes I luck out and its all of Quadrophrenia and sometimes its the fucking Carpenters or a Burger King jingle......and yeah, it scares me when I realize that its happening to a degree it never happened before..........that and, oh heres a fun one............in between sleep and waking you start writing sentences that make no fucking sense at all.......and are just twisted and pointless, and you catch yourself......... Wierd ass shit like , she had a definitvie feline caricture but totally deontalogical........and your awake mind is going , WTF? STOP! Maybe all those songwriters like Dylan and Lennon were as twisted as us and just used it? Guess I need a med tweak, but when at all possible I put on something or think of some song I'd rather be hearing than "have it your waaaay, at Burger King!"

Hope that helps. You aint .alone .

peace

.... like the Farmer's Insurance jingle running through my head like a broken record.

Great! Now I have THAT cemented and playing in my brain!tongue.gif

I have the same thing happen! I posted something on it in the sleep disorder page but after somebody pointed out that it probably belonged here, I have been seeing things similar on this page :P

waking up in the middle of the night to a song is the worst thing in the world. it drove me crazy!

Archived