CrazyBoards.org

Treatment Resistant Depression Go Away! Any suggestions?

Hi! I am new to the boards...thrilled.to find them... i have been on almost every ssri/snri for depression including MAOIS ( of course had a cardiac crisis and had to stop them cold turkey- bad drugs too) and had ECT ( never ever do that)....still the major depression continues despite getting phenomenal care from the best guys at Harvard.... Newly diagnosed with ADD and have been put on Adderall to help with concentration, attention, memory (which was lost due to ect)...I think the adderall is helping my add symptoms but I am not sure...could it be giving me worse anxiety? I take ativan as needed ( I am a nurse so I am pretty up to date with currents meds etc)....They just increased my adderall dose to help augment my wellbutrin and help me be less depressed. They want it to lift me up.... It doesn't seem to be working. I am just as teary and emotional as ever. I am taking something for my dopamine and norepinephrine levels but nothing for seratonin....Does anyone take drugs for all the neurotransmitters? I feel like taking an SSRI might be helpful but my doctor is reluctant to add another medication to my mix. I can't believe I am still so emotional while taking all of these drugs....Sometimes I just cry so hard i shake....I am 36 and having been out of work for almost 2 years trying to get better...I would love to hear anyone elses experiences or advice....I would like my life back, I would like to feel better...Thanks for reading my post and happiness to you all!

Welcome to the boards!

I'm sorry that you are feeling so bad with no relief. I'm in the same situation. Yes, you should talk to your doctors about adding an AAP into the mix. I'm sure you've heard of the AAP Abilify, but there are others that help with depression. I've found that when ADs don't work, it is necessary to turn to other drugs such as AAPs and anticonvulsants.

It is very common to add an SSRI to Wellbutrin. I'm not quite sure why your doctor would be reluctant to add another med, especially for a treatment-resistant patient.

I hope you get feeling better. In the meantime, you will find support here. Take care.

Thank you! I have an appointment next week and will ask about an AAP...i know i was on 1mg of risperidal at one point a few years ago and it did help...thanks for your concern. I hope you are feeling better... I see that you are on risperidal too... did it cause any weight gain??

Welcome to the boards!

I'm sorry that you are feeling so bad with no relief. I'm in the same situation. Yes, you should talk to your doctors about adding an AAP into the mix. I'm sure you've heard of the AAP Abilify, but there are others that help with depression. I've found that when ADs don't work, it is necessary to turn to other drugs such as AAPs and anticonvulsants.

It is very common to add an SSRI to Wellbutrin. I'm not quite sure why your doctor would be reluctant to add another med, especially for a treatment-resistant patient.

I hope you get feeling better. In the meantime, you will find support here. Take care.

Does anyone take drugs for all the neurotransmitters?

I do as well. Although we try to hit serotonin as little as possible because I have atypical depression & SSRIs just make me sleep all the time, instead of "only" 1/2 the time like usual.

I have had really good luck with my Wellbutrin / Lamictal combo. SSRIs turn me into a zombie. Lamictal has good anti-depressant properties, especially for treatment resistant depression, which is often actually bipolar II (BP II) in disguise. See my signature for my changed dx (diagnosis).

Thankj you all for your replies. For those with atypical depression, do you find atypical antipsychotics more helpful than SSRIs?

I have had really good luck with my Wellbutrin / Lamictal combo. SSRIs turn me into a zombie. Lamictal has good anti-depressant properties, especially for treatment resistant depression, which is often actually bipolar II (BP II) in disguise. See my signature for my changed dx (diagnosis).

So, I was put on Risperidal to manage the sever emotional symptoms, crying and anxiety. Hopefully it will work. There is also a new SSRI drug out there i was told about today- can't remember the name of it but it is supposed to be good....might try that if the risperidal doesn't help. Thanks all for your support.

Surely all these meds really do is prolong the obvious. And i am not talking about death I mean that there is something inside that needs to come out and all we are doing by taking all this pharmacutical shit is that we put it off until we explode..

I was on something for 9 months. Went off it tried it for a while then decided recently that i have to go on again. I am not convinced this is the true course of action. So I changed my diet and other bad habits and find this has given me some relief but ....there is still something not right I am determined to find another way to deal with this illness. I believe it has a lot to do with the way we live in this modern crap world which is uncaring selfish etc.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Surely all these meds really do is prolong the obvious. And i am not talking about death I mean that there is something inside that needs to come out and all we are doing by taking all this pharmacutical shit is that we put it off until we explode..

I was on something for 9 months. Went off it tried it for a while then decided recently that i have to go on again. I am not convinced this is the true course of action. So I changed my diet and other bad habits and find this has given me some relief but ....there is still something not right I am determined to find another way to deal with this illness. I believe it has a lot to do with the way we live in this modern crap world which is uncaring selfish etc.

I have a couple of comments. First, this is mostly a pro-medication forum so you're not going to get a lot of support for your opinions, and may catch a lot of grief.

Second, if you want comments on your particular situation, it's better to start a new thread, which is easy to do. That way the conversation stsys more or less focussed on the original poster's (OP's) questions.

Third, I'm sorry you're still feeling badly and hope that you will pursue some kind of treatment, as if you have been diagnosed (dx'ed) with a mental illness (MI), lifestyle changes like diet and exercise are not going to be effective for what's wrong, as it appears you're finding out for yourself.

I guarantee you that no one on this site wants to have any type of MI and take meds, go to therapy, etc., but the point of the site is for us to support one another as we get through it all.

Back to the OP - I hope the Risperdal works well for you. Treatment resistant depression is a terrible thing to deal with.

Thank You, I have been on the risperidal for 5 days now and already feelings MUCH relief from the constant anxiety.....very relieved. :)

I have a couple of comments. First, this is mostly a pro-medication forum so you're not going to get a lot of support for your opinions, and may catch a lot of grief.

Second, if you want comments on your particular situation, it's better to start a new thread, which is easy to do. That way the conversation stsys more or less focussed on the original poster's (OP's) questions.

Third, I'm sorry you're still feeling badly and hope that you will pursue some kind of treatment, as if you have been diagnosed (dx'ed) with a mental illness (MI), lifestyle changes like diet and exercise are not going to be effective for what's wrong, as it appears you're finding out for yourself.

I guarantee you that no one on this site wants to have any type of MI and take meds, go to therapy, etc., but the point of the site is for us to support one another as we get through it all.

Back to the OP - I hope the Risperdal works well for you. Treatment resistant depression is a terrible thing to deal with.

Archived