CrazyBoards.org

bp and your IQ correlate

bp and you IQ  

27 members have voted

1. 1. is it possible they're related

• before medicated was your iq lower
    • while being medicated it is lower
    • or do you feel that it has remained the same

I've never actually had my IQ measured using a decent test (I've done the Shipley's, which is used by employers a lot of times, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt). So I have no clue if my IQ is better or worse. I feel like meds have made me stupid, but I won't discount the possibility that I simply thought I was smarter than what I was due to the hypomania thing. I'll take stupid and alive, as much as I get annoyed with word finding problems and having to work all around slower than I used to.

I don't think my IQ is lower but because of meds m slower, I forget simple things, I used to be very articulate... Now I'm spacey instead. I'm at uni and doing ok but it's hard with the dumbing down. On the other hand, I wouldn't be at uni without meds because I'd be too unstable.

You would really need before and after IQ tests as I do not think one can "sense" their IQ.

nf

Technically you're probably correct. But you can definitely tell when you're thinking more slowly, having memory issues, taking longer to complete tasks, etc.

I've actually gotten relatively dumber with every year that's passed, regardless of meds..... I think part of that has to do with no longer being...er....mentally challenged on a daily basis through schoolwork.

I can't think of a better phrase for this than "mentally challenged", haha. Damn you English language and your ambiguosity!

And damn you, Neurontin for making me forget my words!

Went from "gifted" to "above average" to "upper part of average"

As far as IQ goes, though, I have no idea. tested 121 (I think? It was 120-something) when sleep deprived and sick in 11th grade, so who knows what it would've been under normal circumstances.

I feel dumber, but I have a feeling that if I took an IQ test right now I wouldn't be all that much lower than 13 years ago since, while I'm pretty positive I've lost my leg up on others in certain subjects/categories, things such as my spatial reasoning and scientific literacy have improved a lot since I took the IQ test. And "EQ"? Holy shit, I actually know what empathy is now. That's much better now, too.

IQ tests aren't actually designed to measure intelligence, but lack thereof. Which makes me giggle when people talk about their monstrously high IQ like it means something profound......

There are significant gaps in my day-to-day memory from times when I know I was badly depressed or wildly manic...there's a two year hole, actually, that my husband and I call "the dark time." I was very depressed, unstable, and overmedicated-trifecta!-during that period and really have no narrative memory of what my daily life was like. And I have to be careful with how I say this, or even think about it, but I don't think my intelligence has been permanently impacted by either the disease or the meds, though I do think that my ability to think clearly and to form memories is very much dependent upon how well I am at any given time. Sometimes it is only clear in retrospect that I was not firing on all my cylinders-I mean I don't realize what bad shape I was in until I look back and realize that I hardly remember, say, the first two weeks of July.

But as long as my meds are working right, I can point my brain at the same caliber of challenges that I used to, and accomplish what I want to do. Arguably, I am smarter, because I've learned so many alternative ways of working around brain funks.

Guest Vapourware

This is somewhat related to the topic, but I thought it was interesting anyways: http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/IQ-and-Mental-Illness-12Aug2010.pdf

The above link was a presentation made about IQ and MI. It's the powerpoint slides from the presentation, but it still gives an interesting overview of the content. The presenter notes that the lower the IQ, the higher someone's chance of developing MI becomes - but this does not hold for BP.

Anyways, back onto the topic at hand. I didn't answer the poll, because I don't know my current IQ and I've never been formally IQ-tested in my life. I have been told repeatedly and by many people that I have an able intellect, so I assume that my IQ is respectable. The only time I've noticed any significant cognitive dulling was when I was on Invega, and that drug gave me some spectacular side effects. Those side effects, thankfully, went away when I stopped taking the drug.

Other than that, I've noticed some slight slowness in my memory recall since my last episode, so I suspect that during my last episode, I blew a few fuses out. The speed of my memory recall isn't too noticeable, just frustrating for me. Although I don't know if I'm comparing my current, stable frame of mind to a hypomanic episode, either.

My thinking and writing are not as disciplined as they use to be, and attention is an issue. But I don't feel like I am any different than I was.

I score high on IQ tests. But I rock all standardized tests, to the extent that I often test higher than my actual skill level. Then I am put in situations I am not really qualified to handle, which as you would expect, is awesome.:rolleyes: What a confidence builder. :brooding:

The only time my IQ was discussed was when I had my most recent IQ test, in my mid-20s. I took it as part of my assessment for psychiatric treatment.

My p-doc said, "You have an extremely high IQ, and since you are depressed, you probably could have scored higher." I was insulted that he didn't already realize I was pretty intelligent without the IQ test. Heh. And anyway, above a certain score, the distinctions between numbers become pretty meaningless. IQ just measures: "Ability to be educated well if given the opportunity."

There are always going to be people smarter than me, maybe just in one area, or maybe overall. I met lots of them in college (and a lot who weren't so bright). I would say that DH is probably smarter than I am, but he actually scored lower.

We have the exact same SAT score, even the English/Math split. Destiny.

I really should have used the word intelligence,,its fascinating to me when I reminise back through the years. The number of highly difficult breakdown I repaired I was so aware of my surroundings and every minute detail and thing outside the box and now a lot of that is gone and really dont know why it piss's me of when I'm out done by someone whom has less experience and overall knowledge of the equiptment so my apologies but the last time I took an IQ test I scored 130 i would like to know what it is now.

I score high on IQ tests. But I rock all standardized tests, to the extent that I often test higher than my actual skill level. Then I am put in situations I am not really qualified to handle, which as you would expect, is awesome.:rolleyes: What a confidence builder. :brooding:

Story of my life: running before I can walk.

I guess I have a high IQ, cuz they put me in all the gifted classes in my early years. I know I'm smart cuz I took a lot of advanced classes later on. I know I have holes cuz fuck-all if I can grasp certain concepts in higher maths, or certain concepts in general.

I know, in some ways, I'm less capable...the meds don't help. Plus, the evidence is there that repeated manias shrink your grey matter.

But as far as my intelligance, based on observable intelligence in others? Um, I seem to be a lot better then those at work, heh. The looks on their faces when I talk about certain things is like a cow that just got smacked with a sledge hammer, with the exception of engineers and some other people that are higher-level types. I'm still quick to grasp things--that is, if someone can explain it properly. Um, and if I can remember it; that part seems to be slipping to, but yeah, topamax... Otoh, I'm dedicated and push myself to move farther in my job and learn every aspect while others are just happy to sit there doing the same thing.

I guess I'm trying to fight the brain creep. Push, push, push. Maybe I feel dumber but I still have enough flashes that I know I'm not, so I try to prove it to myself by being at least better than those around me who refuse to capitalize.

This topic interests me because I was thinking of starting a topic along the lines of "Why do you think your meds make you stupid?" I mean, how can you know?

I was feeling really sharp on Seroquel monotherapy (really super focus and shite), but that ended today with me being put back on Depakote.

I was tested in High School with a 158. Now, I can't remember when I last took a shower or what day it is. I was given a math test on my SSDI review and had to use my fingers to count from 100 to 0 by 7's. And I worked for 2 years as a business banking teller responsible of maintaining a $100,000 cash balance drawer.

I don't know if it's from the meds, or if too many really intense mood episodes have damaged my brain beyond repair. I'm hoping that the switch to depakote will level me out, and my brain can start healing. I'd like to try to go back to college next year and get trained for a career I think I'd be good at (and no more stinking banking!)

I am definitely slower. I feel disconnected at times, and also it is as if my brain connectors, at the connecting crossroads, need a few seconds to just connect and remember what people are talking about.

It was better at one stage, I think, when I drank a lot of Omega oils.

I don't know, I tested upper average in middle school but chose not to do gifted classes because my self confidence was/is so low. I don't feel any dumber now than I did then and have had symptoms since I was 16. I definitely have a huge discrepancy between my math and language skills though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually something I've been pondering for a while. When I was tested at 13, I had an IQ of 178 but now it's sometimes a struggle to understand what should be simple concepts. I don't feel like it's consistent though, it's mood subjective. In particular - when I'm hypomanic, and my brain feels like it's being over-clocked, I feel that it could even be higher (grandiose feelings anyone?). I wouldn't draw any solid conclusions without being tested though.

Archived