CrazyBoards.org

Depression and pain killer abuse

Hello. I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder for 10 years. I've taken many different meds. They seem to work for a bit and then sputter out. Anyway, I'm writing because recently, and unfortunately, I've allowed myself to develop an addiction to pain killers (typically vicodin, sometimes oxycontin). There is no medical reason for me to be taking these drugs. I do it for recreational purposes and I want to stop more than anything but the addiction has a hold on me right now.

As it relates to depression, I find that after I go through a 2-3 binge on the pain killers, my depression gets extremely worse than it was before my binge. It becomes very difficult to have discussions with my p-doc about how my anti-depressents are working for me when I'm clouding my judgement and my experience with these other mood altering chemicals.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that can relate to this experience.

Jared

I have not been down that slippery slope, but I have definitely stood at the top and looked at it, and wondered about it. I was prescribed vicodin and soma for a back injury, and during depressive episodes I would take them even if my back didn't hurt because my ultimate goal was numbness. They're very effective for that.

I would tell the pdoc if I were you, I'm sure they've heard everything, and the doc will be able to help you better. I hope you get to the place where you feel like you don't need the pain meds anymore.

I have been totally addicted to ultram (chemical opiate) multiple times. oddly, i was initially prescribed it for tx resistant depression. I'd stop asap, i've noted that the opiates really tend to turn on you after awhile with depression issues though they can initially be mood lifting in some, and OMG the STOPPING depression is hellish, it takes about 6--9 months to fully recover from.

You really need to talk to pdoc about this and develop a plan for possibly dealing with the rebound depression which does vary from person to person and length of time taken, so i don't mean to scare you. but really, the sooner you stop, the better off you are going to be.

Sorry to hear this. it's kind of a bitch and a half, but can be overcome with the right support.

Anna

Archived