CrazyBoards.org

Well therapist say either schizophrenia or schizoaffective, I normally am constantly grinning though, at mostly everyone I see. I have a toughie making food and stuff.. I am 16 years old and I haven't had too much friends my whole life. I guess I don't have violent mood swings or anything. I like music though. Since I was like 13 or 14 my interests have slowly dwindled away, and when I was 12 or 13 I basically stopped going to school, well know I plan on getting a GED. Well I've heard voices, I heard my name being called from outside my house then "I hate you" right next to me. Well, I guess Re:Life. It's a cool song. I constantly am smiling and it makes others joke that I did something like put poison in their drinks.. It's hard even to hold the concentration to write this for me.. when I talk too sometimes I make no sense or my words come out all slurred and stuff. I used to be into religion and stuff and I started writing my own religious book, and also making a language. Well I am wondering if you think I am schizophrenic, I am diagnosed as psychotic disorder NOS right now.. and people have told me my speech is really random.

Guest Vapourware

None of us here can diagnose you, but it sounds like you have some disorganised symptoms which can be present in schizophrenia. It also sounds like you have inappropriate affect, as you say you are often smiling, and some negative symptoms with the dwindling of interests. Those signs can point to schizophrenia but ultimately it would be up to a doctor to make that judgement. They are the best at ascertaining your symptoms because they can observe you over time and would have better idea of your symptom history.

I guess though, that if you feel that you don't experience mood issues, then that might rule out schizoaffective, as schizoaffective requires a mood disorder component to also be present.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist in addition to your therapist? You should see a psychiatrist and get a definitive diagnosis and get some meds to help you in addition to your therapy. You do have several symptoms consistant with schizophrenia, but as Vapourware has said, we can't diagnose you here.

As has already been said, nobody here can diagnose you.

This is only my personal opinion, but I believe that psychosis is a spectrum. There are some schizophrenic symptoms that I do experience and some that I don't. And I also wonder if the NOS diagnosis (that I have, like you) is sometimes used in the early days, before pdoc has had a chance to work out exactly what is going on with us. I must admit that I do sometimes have intrusive thoughts that in the future my dx will change, but my strategy is to ignore them.

The best thing that you can do is go to your pdoc. He is the one who is qualified to diagnose you. But, as far as I am aware, the treatment is the same for both schizophrenia and psychosis NOS. Though saying that it is one of my greatest fears that one day in the future my dx will change to sz.

As has already been said, nobody here can diagnose you.

This is only my personal opinion, but I believe that psychosis is a spectrum. There are some schizophrenic symptoms that I do experience and some that I don't. And I also wonder if the NOS diagnosis (that I have, like you) is sometimes used in the early days, before pdoc has had a chance to work out exactly what is going on with us. I must admit that I do sometimes have intrusive thoughts that in the future my dx will change, but my strategy is to ignore them.

The best thing that you can do is go to your pdoc. He is the one who is qualified to diagnose you. But, as far as I am aware, the treatment is the same for both schizophrenia and psychosis NOS. Though saying that it is one of my greatest fears that one day in the future my dx will change to sz.

I also had an issue with the smiling thing, before I got diagnosed. It was definitely an inappropriate affect.

I smile all the time even while talking about horrible scary things. I also laugh uncontrollably. This makes people think I am actually happy when I am not. You are not alone in dealing with the smiling thing. The only problem is most of my doctors don't and hospitals don't take me seriously because of me smiling and laughing constantly. Even while suicidal I have this inappropriate affect on my face. There are times where I show the correct emotion though. It is when someone directly accuses me of something or a bad thing happening (only if life threatening otherwise I still smile) to a family member. I also sometimes get the disorganized speech while psychotic. I have schizoaffective disorder. I can't diagnose you though and that is the job of a psychiatrist.

What happens with me is I stopped that smiling thing, but at the same time act out in other ways, like when I'm comfortable with people or doing something I like, I have a way of being destructive towards that. Like say i'm talking to a doctor, and things are going well, i end up shooting myself in the foot by saying something stupid or make a stupid expression, or an inppropriate expression, it's mainly because I don't let myself do it that really makes it show up, like say im in a decent mood, i try to latch onto the mood itself until like 2 hours later, I end up having some inner person in me that wants to destroy it. It drives me crazy, i just gotta realize or accept that, i just got to iron it out. I

I understand you guys can't diagnose me. I was just wondering. What people thought that is. Well even I, and some people in my family doubted I could be schizophrenic because the constant grin I wear. I don't hardly make eye contact, but when I am in like a therapist office my affect seems to be flat and I am not grinning at all. It has added confusion to me since my affect seems flat when I am at the therapist place so I guess it is either grinning or nothing. I am not sure though.

Oh and yes I am seeing a psychiatrist too.

Archived