CrazyBoards.org

Auditory hallucination: New, strange symptom

For the last, I don't know... eight months or so I've been hearing shit that I'm pretty sure isn't there. It's never "voices" or anything like that. Most of the time its distinctly music. Not popular songs or anything like that but it's like.. creepy ass ice cream truck music or very, very dated circus/carnival-type music. I've been looking it up online and a lot of what I've found points to old age and deafness (I'm in my mid-twenties and not so much as hard of hearing). I'm not hearing it IN my head. I'm hearing it very definitely outside my head, as if I can track down the source of the music, but when I've asked other people where the hell its coming from, no one else knows what I'm talking about. At first the problem wasn't so bad but it seems that it's getting more and more frequent. It's usually when it's quiet, like when I'm alone, or with another person watching tv or even at work or something. It's not very loud, but it's loud enough to get on my last damn nerve and question where it's coming from.

So I guess the question is this. Is this in the same realm as hearing voices? Should I be talking to a shrink about this or do I need to be seeing a neurologist? Both? Opinions are appreciated, as always. Thanks guys.

Guest Vapourware

Sometimes when people have auditory hallucinations, it can come in the form of music so it's not outside the realm of possibility that your symptoms are a form of psychosis. I think bringing it up with your psychiatrist is a good idea, and perhaps a neurologist as well dependent on what your pdoc says. It sounds intrusive enough to disrupt your life, so I think it's a good idea to rectify it.

Do you do any drugs, or did it just start doing it on itself? if it is actually bugging you then you should probably see a doctor about it but if its something that isnt that bothersome then id ignore it.

I haven't for ten years. When I was 15-16 I did spend about a year doing acid every three days in increasing dosages, then a day off, then start again on the next day, etc. That went on for about a year. But that was ten years ago. I haven't touched it since. It would be easy to blame my LSD abuse all those years ago for this problem now but there just isn't any evidence to support that since no real research has ever been done on the topic. So I guess it's a possibility to have after effects even ten years later, but to answer your question no, I'm not a current drug user.

Sometimes when people have auditory hallucinations, it can come in the form of music so it's not outside the realm of possibility that your symptoms are a form of psychosis. I think bringing it up with your psychiatrist is a good idea, and perhaps a neurologist as well dependent on what your pdoc says. It sounds intrusive enough to disrupt your life, so I think it's a good idea to rectify it.

It never did before, which is why I'm just now bringing it up. It used to really only happen like, at night when I'm about to go to sleep or something so I just ignored it thinking "Okay it's just because I'm somewhere between sleep and awake" but when it started happening at work and started happening at the grocery store, in front of other people... that's where I have to draw the line. It's embarrassing to turn to a coworker and say "What is that you're listening to?" and they say "What are you talking about?" (We're not allowed to listen to music where I work.) because there is no music being played. Or when I ask my mom to check if there is really an ice cream truck outside with the music on at 1am and she looks at me like I'm crazy because she doesn't hear anything. That's starting to suck. :(

Music hallucinations tend to be tied to Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (TLE) more often than to psychiatric problems. I would not ignore this, especially since it sounds like it's becoming more frequent. You do not want a simple partial seizure to generalize into what we more commonly think of as epileptic seizures. Start with a neurologist. He or she can refer you to a psychiatrist is psychosis is the conclusion.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived