CrazyBoards.org

Too damned tired to hold my head up.

Basically, I'm just looking for suggestions. Periods of overwhelming tiredness seem to be a fact of this MDD for me: I feel so zonked and heavy I can feel myself wobbling in my chair like an infant just learning to hold itself up. Sometimes it only lasts a few hours; sometimes I have it for days before I finally seem to get myself up and moving again. Medication doesn't seem to help or hinder it, at least not in my limited experiments so far.

I'm sitting here at work, typing this partly because I'm curious, but also because I need to do something or I'm afraid I'm going to end up drooling coffee onto my keyboard. What helps with this? I usually do exercise if I can: go walking, play the dancing game we have on Kinect, even just take my inflatable exercise ball and do stretches with it. It at least works for a little while to get some kind of energy moving. But at work I don't have access to that sort of thing, so I'm kind of floundering. I split my break time into little five or six minute "mini breaks" over the course of the evening, just to get myself up and moving to the can or the coffee pot, but I'm sure there's more I could be doing.

Any suggestion or even general encouragement/BSing would be appreciated. Gives me something to do, after all. ;)

Thanks for replying; you've been terribly considerate of me, it seems. :)

When I was initially reporting symptoms to my docs, I complained of these episodes. As a result, I've had tests run for thyroid problems (clean) and various nutritional deficiencies (checked out okay, which surprised me, given how horrible my diet has historically been).

I haven't ruled out a physical problem. But I do think it's the depression, for a few reasons. The ridiculous tiredness stopped completely, with no change in diet or exercise from me, for a couple of months; I'll have to review my daily journal to see how far back, but I had a string of "feeling pretty good today" entries that lasted for quite a while. This past couple weeks has seen the first recurrence of this problem since maybe the end of May or the early part of June. That rough guess also coincides with a period of lower stress and general well being in my personal and work life: my sister brought her baby home, I got a happy quarterly performance review at work which may lead to a promotion to days, my bank account reached four figures and stayed that way for the first time ever. I was still dealing with depression, but it wasn't as bad with nothing in my life to back it up, heh.

I need to do my homework, and look back through my old journal entries here on CB and at home, to be sure of that coincidence. But it seems right. And now that I am starting to feel more depressive again, the tiredness is creeping back in. This evening, I'm hanging out at work, having just come back from my dinner break. I don't feel bad. The tiredness has retreated. But it is sitting at the back of my eyes like a headache waiting to happen.

Getting checked out for physical problems is a good idea, though, and you're right: I do need to do that. I'm overdue for a checkup, anyway.

Here I sit with a broken ankle, about to preach exercise. :) Of course, I was taking my daily walk when I broke it, but most people can manage to walk without ending up in a cast.

You talked about exercise, but I wonder if you do something sustained for 30-40 minutes. You read about people who benefit from 15 minutes of exercise, but I really feel that you don't feel a difference in your well-being unless you do something really vigorous for at least half an hour. (Every day, if possible)

I agree that a physical checkup is a good idea--you could have something going on with hormones or thyroid or low iron levels.

Is there a reason why you are not taking an antidepressant? I do all of the stuff we're supposed to do--healthy diet, daily exercise, lots of sleep----and yet I would still be in the Slough of Despond if I didn't take my Wellbutrin. A healthy lifestyle will definitely assist you in feeling happier, but it may be that you need the extra push of an antidepressant.

olga

I have periods of extreme periods of tiredness too. At work, I try to stand up or stretch or take a walk around the office sometimes. It doesn't really help too much, but I feel if I keep moving it will help out a bit. I try to keep my brain active or keep moving...and also exercise is a good ideal. i need to get back to that!

Ditto to what everyone else said about moving about. You don't have to suit up and go to the gym to exercise. It's good if you can work up a sweat somehow, but even if you don't do that, some movement is better than little to none.

I looked at your signature and if it's current, you're taking an allergy med and a multi-vitamin. I'm too lazy right now to look through everything, but you must have been getting MI treatment at some point to hang around here as long as you have. What's keeping you from visiting a pdoc to get this nailed down?

One of my main symptoms of depression is extreme fatigue, and sleeping all the time. It's time to make a pdoc appointment and get your life back. The kind of tiredness you describe isn't normal.

I haven't updated my sig in awhile. Sorry!! >.< After some ridiculousness with my last doc, and some searching around, I finally found a new provider, and went back on meds around the middle of July: I'm on Lexapro. It's a 10mg dose right now, since I haven't been on it very long, but I am taking it faithfully. It's possible that the med could be responsible for some of this, also, or that once it's had a chance to really kick in, I will start to feel better.

As for exercise, I go walking, usually. We live in a rural area, so I can hoof it down our canal road after dark and never see another living soul. I take a flashlight just in case, but the dirt road is reasonably well kept, so the going is level, more or less. At a steady walking pace swift enough to work up a sweat, strolling for ten minutes takes me down to a small creek. This winter, I'm not sure what I will do for my exercise; if it doesn't snow, the canal road will still work fine, but when the ground is wet the footing gets ugly quickly on these dirt roads. I'm considering investing in a stationary bike, or a treadmill, for days like that.

I like exercise, because it performs several functions for me. It's slimming me down slowly, so my binding gear fits better. It gets me out of the house. It's a pleasure: sometimes I have a cat or two for company on my walks, or I smuggle our Pyrenees, Falkor, out of the house and he comes along. He's such a good boy he doesn't even need a leash on these excursions; his lead is made of: "Come, Falkor!" He's awesome. I have also seen raccoons and foxes living near the creek. One night earlier this summer, I saw a skunk with four kittens. :D

Have u ever taken lexapro before? Definitely one of my favorite antidepressants. Good luck with it. For me they put me on 5mg for the first 4-5 days then upped it to 10, it's the fastest working antidepressant out there, as said in the literature that it takes at least 2 weeks before it starts working, unlike the other antidepressants that sometimes take 4 weeks(such as paxil.) Although differences can vary in people.

Have u ever taken lexapro before? Definitely one of my favorite antidepressants. Good luck with it. For me they put me on 5mg for the first 4-5 days then upped it to 10, it's the fastest working antidepressant out there, as said in the literature that it takes at least 2 weeks before it starts working, unlike the other antidepressants that sometimes take 4 weeks(such as paxil.) Although differences can vary in people.

Just saying "literature says" is not enough to substantiate your claims, so what literature says that, blart?

Hi, I have issues with tiredness, I'm physically well too. I found that I often give 100% of my effort to everything, I'm very conscientious. I've learned that being selective and maybe only operating at 80% effort can save enough not to leave me flat out exhausted all day. You might want to make a timetable of an average week and look at the time you give yourself to rest (and to exercise) and if you can , plan rest time in deliberately. Your body needs downtime too. I found reading some books on coping with chronic fatigue gave me some really helpful tips, I don't have it but I feel that way when I am depressed. There are some great books like that out there with a CBT bent to them as well.

Just saying "literature says" is not enough to substantiate your claims, so what literature says that, blart?

It says 1-4 weeks I meant specifically the pamphlets that came along with lexapro, but my doctor said 2 weeks.

Hi, I have issues with tiredness, I'm physically well too. I found that I often give 100% of my effort to everything, I'm very conscientious. I've learned that being selective and maybe only operating at 80% effort can save enough not to leave me flat out exhausted all day. You might want to make a timetable of an average week and look at the time you give yourself to rest (and to exercise) and if you can , plan rest time in deliberately. Your body needs downtime too. I found reading some books on coping with chronic fatigue gave me some really helpful tips, I don't have it but I feel that way when I am depressed. There are some great books like that out there with a CBT bent to them as well.

Hm, I can relate a lot to this, especially wanting to give 100%. Work has been busy lately, with the client implementation coming up. I've been trying harder than normal, mostly because I feel so crappy and run down. I'm trying not to come to work and sit around like a lump. An assessment of my time spent would be a good idea. Might also be good practice for not being such a perfectionist. :rolleyes:

This is nothing personal, but rather a general inquiry the above statement has sparked. If you have some sort of a problem, are there really no better ways of addressing it? If you see a statement is false, and it bothers you that badly, doesn't it make more sense to find correct, contradictory research and post it as a rebuttal? Just coming in and picking an unrelated fight in a thread to advance a vendetta is pointless, and to be honest, annoying, particularly since I started the fucking discussion seeking constructive advice.

This is nothing personal, but rather a general inquiry the above statement has sparked. If you have some sort of a problem, are there really no better ways of addressing it? If you see a statement is false, and it bothers you that badly, doesn't it make more sense to find correct, contradictory research and post it as a rebuttal? Just coming in and picking an unrelated fight in a thread to advance a vendetta is pointless, and to be honest, annoying, particularly since I started the fucking discussion seeking constructive advice.

I really was not _intending_ to start a fight with Blart in your thread, Oddjob, however, re-reading what I wrote it does really look like that, and I apologize for being provocative.

I came into this thread seeking to help with the issue, found that other people had addressed most of what I would have said, and then realized that Blart was making another unsubstantiated claim and addressed that.

I wasn't intentionally coming in and picking a fight, or advancing a vendetta, or any of that. I simply wanted to make sure that unsubstantiated "science" wasn't being spread, or that things based on the user's experience were clarified as simply being anecdotal.

Actually, I do seem to be feeling better; that is, I'm tired, but it's a regular sort of tiredness, from overtime working toward client go-live at work, the stinking heat, with which I have a mutual hatred, and so forth. My attention span is less fractured this past week, happily.

I still haven't found a way to alter or ease that feeling of excessive tiredness at work, though having a clear head may help me come up with a solution. I overslept all last weekend. I almost wonder if the chance to decompress and chill out helped. I'm working on a schedule of sorts, like Titania talked about; I think that'll prove useful.

Thanks again, all, as always. ^_^

I'd say schedules really are your friend here, as honestly, I find that when I oversleep due to the depression, it paradoxically makes the problem worse.

Lex does have a bit of a rep as an activating AD in some, but of course, YMMV. I see my husband getting sleepier... and sleepier... It's not good, man. I'm sorta worried about him, actually.

Anna

I really was not _intending_ to start a fight with Blart in your thread, Oddjob, however, re-reading what I wrote it does really look like that, and I apologize for being provocative.

I came into this thread seeking to help with the issue, found that other people had addressed most of what I would have said, and then realized that Blart was making another unsubstantiated claim and addressed that.

I wasn't intentionally coming in and picking a fight, or advancing a vendetta, or any of that. I simply wanted to make sure that unsubstantiated "science" wasn't being spread, or that things based on the user's experience were clarified as simply being anecdotal.

i appreciate the apology, if not for me then oddjob. I know you aren't one to do this, so i didn't take much offence and if it brings clarity to the issue then all the better.. My reputation preceeds me, so therefore any statements I make are scrutinized.

Archived