CrazyBoards.org

Aspartame/ Phenylalanine + schizoaffective

I recently got on a kick to de-tox myself from aspartame, and when i was reading i found out that aspartame can cause schizophrenia/ schizophrenic disorders. Does that mean when it gets out of my system, i might not be ill any more? The only thing about that is, for 6 years i drank full-fat soda (no diet at all) and i still had symptoms.

Im probably grasping at straws, but has anyone heard of anyone being "cured" by stopping aspartame?

No, unfortunately, you probably will still be ill. Aspartame has gotten a bad rap from various interest groups, but the fact remains that it is a very safe alternative to sugar unless you have a problem with phenylalamine (you would know this before now). If there were credible evidence that it wasn't safe, then the FDA would pull it from the shelves.

I have wondered about different causes of schizophrenia I've read about. These include having spinal meningitis (I had the vaccine for that so I wondered if it may have malfunctioned in some way), being allergic to caffeine, or being exposed to latex. I have not read about aspertame yet.

I can't say I am convinced about any of these.

Schizophrenia is not that simple. Research suggests that it is genetic and heritable, though it may not be as simple as that either (damaged genes is another potential source). There is no cure for it, and it is best to manage it with behavioral therapy and medication.

There are so many fring-y thoughts and ideas about causes of schizophrenia out there in various non mainstream places, and you really have to watch your step.

I believe it's certainly possible that SOME KIND of biological insult can help schizophrenia develop in suceptible individuals who may have the genetics for it (I mean, identical twins don't always have schizophrenia together in a 100% correlation).

The problem is 1) no one really knows what the biological insult IS, (and it could be a number of, or combination of things) and 2) once you have the insult and have developed the dx, there is very little that can really be done to repair it completely, so one is really best off treating one's conditions with medications/therapies that are proven and been shown to work.

Anna

Archived