CrazyBoards.org

I'm feeling really low this evening and kind of out of it. I feel like crying. I feel like I'd feel better if I could cry. But I can't cry ... instead I feel somewhat numb. I even put on some sad music to see if I could get myself to cry. Nothing.

Has this ever happened to anyone? That they felt like crying but couldn't?

I have been off med for several years. The last year has been one cry-fest after another.

I have not been able to get through one conversation without having snot coming out my nose and tears down my cheeks.

I have almost successfully blamed it on my "new contact lenses" and also the "office lights which irritate my eyes" - I started on Nuzak then switched to Zoloft about two/three months ago.

I have since not cried.

However on Friday morning I was feeling about as close to suicide as I have ever got (well in a very long time) and then I did have a bit of tears, and a little sob.

But it was not the relentless crying that I have become accustomed to.

The Nuzak/Zoloft have definitely dried up my tears ducts.

Right now I see it as a bit of a bonus. However it might be an issue going forward. But today I am just doing breath-breath-breath, tomorrow I can worry about other stuff.

Before I tapered off Effexor, I rarely cried, and on the few occasions that I did it was usually full-out uncontrollable sobbing. There were times when I wished I could cry about things, but I never cried much before I took antidepressants either, so it wasn't that new or unpleasant to me. Now that I'm off Effexor (only a few weeks yet), I am crying every day, but it's just a few tears and maybe a sob. I hope it stops -- I can barely watch any TV or read any books without starting to cry and having to do something else to make the tears stop.

Calypte - my drive home with my kids would always have me in tears, about everything. They have got used to me taking long pauses in sentences as I attempt to phrase a response without sobbing.

Somewhat off-topic, but: oddly enough my mood is actually decent right now, I don't feel like I am depressed. I am just crying about every sad thing I come across. It's weird. Re-bound from being numbed by Effexor until now, maybe? Sometimes I think I'd rather be a little more numb and unable to cry again, though.

Well, I don't think it's healthy to cry uncontrollably, but I also don't think it's healthy to not be able to cry at all. I feel really disphoric. If this were happening when I was still on an SSRI, I could understand it better. When I came off Paxil, I was very emotional and could cry over just about anything. But that has gone away now. Just it is really, really, really bad for me to be sad and not be able to cry.

Well, I don't think it's healthy to cry uncontrollably, but I also don't think it's healthy to not be able to cry at all. I feel really disphoric. If this were happening when I was still on an SSRI, I could understand it better. When I came off Paxil, I was very emotional and could cry over just about anything. But that has gone away now. Just it is really, really, really bad for me to be sad and not be able to cry.

I didn't mean to imply that inability to cry is no big deal, sorry if you took it that way. Being unable to express your sadness and dysphoria is painful and frustrating.

Not being able to cry does seem like the kind of thing most likely to happen to you while on an SSRI. You're on a whole bunch of meds, though -- it's not inconceivable to me that one of your other meds is having this side-effect. Remeron has some serotonergic effects as well, for instance. Unfortunately I'm not sure what you could do about it (besides quitting meds, but that definitely doesn't seem advisable if you're so dysphoric) -- is there any other way you might be able to express and work through sadness or other negative emotions (journaling, art, talking to people, self-soothing activities like a warm bath or something) so that it doesn't just "hang there"?

I struggle to cry at the times that my mood goes down, but part of me wonders if in my case it is because my mood was so flat for so long. Like I no longer know how to respond to emotion? I do find it frustrating when I feel like I need to cry but the tears just don't come. I'd far rather just let it out.

I pretty much don't cry. I almost cried last week because it has come to my attention that somebody who used to be important to me died. But I was driving my car, I was going to be at my mother's in 5 minutes, and I didn't want her to see me crying. So I never did get around to crying.

I can't remember the last time I really cried. Even though my life basically sucks

We tend to be pretty open about crying a fair bit. But, lately, the tears have been stuck inside and, yeah OP, it's like there's a physical block that won't let the tears come, but the emotions are there. It's a pretty strange feeling (for us, anyway, since we default to weepy). Usually to fix it we watch a movie that we know is very sad and that will make us cry. Lately that's been Wall-E, although the opening of Up might work.

It took me all day to remember this, but I do remember now that I cried a lot in early May. I had to go to the emergency room while I was on vacation. So, it was entirely natural to cry -- I was in pain, afraid , frustrated, and since I was by myself in another state, in a panic because I wasn't sure how to get anywhere. And later I had feelings of loneliness and shame. I wanted somebody to drive me home (500 miles away), but there was nobody who would do that. I thought of my brother, and I thought, I bet he would -- but he had died 2 years ago... waaah waaah waah.

So other than one of my follow-up trips to the doctor, which was stressful, I really haven't cried about anything else, I think.

I think I'm pretty much apathetic about everything, that's why I don't cry.

It is so hard for me to gauge whether I am depressed, because I'm always comparing it to past bouts, one was very serious and in that case, yes, I cried hard for hours at a time lots of days.

I basically haven't cried much for the last twenty years, except when personally hurt or attacked by someone. I might tear up a little. Sometimes at a movie. I cried constantly during my teenage years, then I started taking SSRIs and also just shut down. When I do cry it's because things are so bad that I also start hyperventilating, or maybe I'll just hyperventilate instead. Good times.

One of the reasons I got off my SSRIs a couple of years ago was because they really had me shut down. It was around the time my brother was dying and I couldn't cry. He died in March '09 and I got off the meds a few months later, but I swear I remain pretty much stoic or whatever the fuck it is. I found out a couple things today that kind of bothered me (1., that this old guy I know died; 2., that my brother's widow apparently is dating now). Had to hold back the tears because I was at work. Now I'm pretty much sure I won't ever cry about these things. Weird.

Politicat, I know what you mean about the hyperventilating. I use singing and fake laughter to get over that. The fake laughter is something I learned at one of those laughter clubs. It totally works, at least for me. People around here probably think I'm nuts because I will be singing and fake laughing for a whole freaking hour while I'm driving my car. But even though it is all fake, I end up not feeling shitty, even if I don't feel truly happy

Archived