CrazyBoards.org

I was wondering if others have had a problem with giving up alcohol.

For a couple of years I would drink while taking an AP. Sometimes as much as a whole six pack of beer in an evening, even though my doctor said to have no more than one. I think partially it was a way of dealing with anxiety for me which tends to come up a lot during the evenings.

I recently had a small episode that did not require hospitalization (thank goodness) and it has sort of scared me into re-examining some of my habits. Talking to my doctor about alcohol recently, he finally told me WHY it is important not to drink on this type of medicine... mainly that it effects the rate of metabolism of the drug (which I guess means that it can make AP meds less effective.) In addition, I'm sure, it causes mood issues as well as stress on the liver.

I was going to quit drinking except when I'm out at like a restaurant or a bar. So I went for about two weeks without drinking but when I got to the brewery I had three beers instead of the two I had planned. Now I am thinking I should quit altogether.

I guess I do have trouble drinking fewer than two drinks (I feel like "what is the point?" otherwise, even though I really like the taste of it), and 3-4 beers is what I usually want to drink. Probably there is some indication of alcoholism from this. I certainly have a family history.

It is pretty difficult to give up alcohol at this time because I just started graduate school and people are inviting me out to the bar already. I don't want to be antisocial but I wish it was easier to socialize without getting drunk.

The first thing to do is to check with your pdoc whether or not it is safe to drink on your meds.

But I do understand the not being able to just have one or two drinks. Many years ago I used to be the same. I concluded that if I cannot stop once I have started then I need to not start drinking. Knowing this is what has actually kept me off the drink for over 4 years.

The first thing to do is to check with your pdoc whether or not it is safe to drink on your meds.

But I do understand the not being able to just have one or two drinks. Many years ago I used to be the same. I concluded that if I cannot stop once I have started then I need to not start drinking. Knowing this is what has actually kept me off the drink for over 4 years.

The doctor has said one beer.

But I feel like, if I only have one beer, and I don't feel the change in my mood or whatever, it is just like drinking a coke or something for the taste... and I don't think the taste of coke is worth the sugar... so why would I drink one beer, when it is also full of empty calories?

The other reason that drinking on AAPs isn't safe is that some of them are SNC depressants, so depending on how much you drink, it's just a really bad plan. For example, my seroquel has a warning label on it 'do not drink ETOH under any circumstances". i've never heard the interfering with efficacy thing, but ite eff could be true.

I'm not sure if this is true for all AAPs or not and I do know some people who drink moderately on even seroquel, I just know I can't do it, nor would I want to.

Being unable to stop when you want to can be some kind of indicator of problems, yes. I don't love the taste of ETOH as much as the EFFECT though taste is fine fine, too. When I drink, it is TOO get drunk, the effect of one beer is unpleasant to me actually, actively so, because it makes me crave more....

I would talk to yr dr or other medical professional about this and if you find you cannot limit or moderate your intake without help, then seek such help, in whatever form it might be.

Anna

Guest Vapourware

I can understand the difficulty of being told not to drink as much as previously while on psych meds, but the problems with mixing alcohol and psych meds have already been outlined here.

It sounds like your perspective on drinking requires some changing. If you feel like you have to be affected by alcohol when you are drinking, then that is an unhealthy approach. It is perfectly possible to have a drink and enjoy the taste of the beer without getting shit-faced. Beer is not just alcohol. If you are drinking a good beer, there is a complexity in the taste that you can't appreciate if you're chugging down beer just for the sake of getting drunk.

That's why there's been an increase - at least in my part of the world - of boutique beer breweries. People are becoming more interested in drinking beer for the taste, not just to get drunk on a weekend.

If I go out, I generally just drink a middie [about 340ml, IIRC] and that's me done for the night.

I love having a nice, dark beer (Guinness!). I've been trying, the last couple of times we've gone to the bar to see a band play, to just have one or two-depending on how long we're there. I have noticed since getting on psych meds that I get really, horribly hungover. Like, throwing up until 5 or 6 the next night. That's been my main motivator in trying to be responsible with myself and not get shitfaced. I'll admit, I do like being drunk, it feels fun and carefree. I love having a few cocktails. I very rarely drink these days, only on special occasions (maybe every 4-6 months). I think you have to make a conscious effort to making a change. Have a drink if you want (since pdoc approved it), but make it something you actually like and drink it slowly. I don't know if it's the same for you, but when I'm around people who are partying and getting drunk, I want to get drunk too, so I've been trying to avoid most of those situations.

I don't know if it's the same for you, but when I'm around people who are partying and getting drunk, I want to get drunk too, so I've been trying to avoid most of those situations.

Yes, I feel the same way. Drunk people are not that entertaining if you are not drunk.

I think I am going to stop for a while at least... Will save a little money that way, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like stopping is a good plan. Good for you.

FYI the amount you were drinking is not a big deal; 3-4 beers regularly. Its not going to make a whole lot of difference from a metabolic point of view, nor is it necessarily a sign of alcoholism.

Giving up requires some serious strength of character. And of you can do it, more power to you!

I recently quite smoking. I am almost up to 3 months without a cigarette. I was a pack a day smoker. Man its been hard, but its almost too far to fall off the wagon now :)

I think the decision of how much beer is a "big deal" on AAPs should best be left up to one's doc, not a random person on the internet. No offense intended.

Those who drink should be honest with amounts/reasons to their docs, and docs will have different perspectives.

mine is, I get shitfaced when I start, feel like shit, don't stop, am an alcoholic, and don't want to risk it. Plus, i treasure my lovely alcoholic liver that effectively metabolizes the many, many meds I throw at it. eh.

Anna

I have a beer once in a while. I used to have three or four, but I get tipsy from just the one now because of my meds. I never liked being falldown drunk though.

I just nurse it. I cut out the booze entirely. that was pretty tough to do. I think it's good to stop if you can.

I think the decision of how much beer is a "big deal" on AAPs should best be left up to one's doc, not a random person on the internet. No offense intended.

Those who drink should be honest with amounts/reasons to their docs, and docs will have different perspectives.

mine is, I get shitfaced when I start, feel like shit, don't stop, am an alcoholic, and don't want to risk it. Plus, i treasure my lovely alcoholic liver that effectively metabolizes the many, many meds I throw at it. eh.

Anna

Definitely dont listen to some random person on the internet like me or anna :)

Archived