CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro and double vision?

Hi all,

I started taking Lexapro (5mgs daily)) approx 3 weeks ago. This last week my dose was increased to 10mgs daily.

Since this increase Ive been experiencing severe bouts of double vision 3 or 4 times a day.

They only last for 1 to 2 mins each time, but are very disorientating.

Prior to Lexapro i was taking Fluoxetine for 5 years (40mgs daily), with no visual side effects.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this side effect with Lexapro?.. should I consider changing meds, or will this pass with continued use?.

Not sure what way to go, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!.

Found on drugs.com:

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Lexapro:

Severe allergic reactions [...] vision changes; worsening of depression.

I'd talk to your doctor RIGHT AWAY.

I mean, not to scare you, I don't think you have to go to the emergency room or anything (I AM NOT A DOCTOR) but definitely call your doctor on Monday. If it were me, I'd do it before I took the pills.

Thanks guys - really appreciate the feedback.

My docs not going to be happy.. he prescribed effexor for me in January, and I had a rare allergic reaction to it.. now it looks like Lexapro isnt agreeing with me either!.

I havent taken any today... I'll contact my doc again tomorrow.

If you have only tried one other med, I wouldn't worry about your doctor being angry. There are a lot more to try, and you wouldn't be the first person to have trouble with the first two, or even the first three meds tried.

If you have only tried one other med, I wouldn't worry about your doctor being angry. There are a lot more to try, and you wouldn't be the first person to have trouble with the first two, or even the first three meds tried.

Good to hear.. been feeling like a bit of a hopless case lately!

A psychiatrist is a professional, and s/he works for you. I don't care how many meds you've taken in the past, the psychiatrist will not get angry or else s/he is not professional and it would be time to find a new one.

A psychiatrist is a professional, and s/he works for you. I don't care how many meds you've taken in the past, the psychiatrist will not get angry or else s/he is not professional and it would be time to find a new one.

Thanks jt07.. thats good to hear, as I often get the impression that my doc is getting a little fed up with me!.

I was fine on fluoxetine (prozac) for nearly 5 years, with no side effects worth mentioning.

But towards the end I was having to take ever increasing doses to maintain my mood, and he decided it was time for a change and precribed effexor.

It worked really well for me in a psychological sense, but right from day one I was having side effect issues.

For example the first time I took it, I threw it up within an hour.

I stuck with it, but for me the side effects just didnt settle down.. shakes and muscle tremors, blurred vision, headaches, terrible physical fatigue, abdominal upsets,

constantly peeing, terrible constipation!!, and increasing levels of joint pain.

He kept telling me that these side effects are short lived and would pass. And I did feel mentally very good, so I hung in there.

But my nausea increased, I started getting terrible abdominal pain, a wheeze in my chest and neck pain so bad I couldnt sleep.. I kept going back to my doc but I think he thought I was just being a hypochondriac.

I dont recall passing out. I was sitting on the couch next to my wife watching tv.

According to her I just gave out a big long sigh and slid of the couch and flopped onto the floor!.

Woke up in hospital, and was told over the next few days that I was in the middle of a serious allergic reaction that had inflammed my Liver, my kidneys, my stomach and intestines, and my upper respiratory tract.

My blood had been stripped of iron and folic acid, and I was severely anemic, which was the likely cause of me passing out.

They concluded effexor was the cause, but did tell me that it was an extremely rare reaction that effects less that 1% of people.

Im not sure if that was supposed to make me feel special!.

So I had to go cold turkey from effexor, which wasnt actually as bad as Id heard it could be.. and I was referred back to my doc for blood tests and monitoring.

I spent 8 weeks on anti-inflammatories, Iron and Folate meds but no antideppressants, by which time I wasnt feeling so good mentally, but much better physically.

My doc said he'd very carefully considered what to prescribe me next, and gave me Lexapro, as he said it was one of the best tolerated SSRI's on the market.

And I have to say that within days my mood and sleep improved, and I did not experience a single side effect of any note.

But 24 hours after my dose was increased from 5 to 10 mgs, I started seeing double.

I was driving at the time, so it was a bit of a shock!. Its happened several times a day since then, with no warning.

It only lasts about a min or so, but for that time I am effectively blind.. so it does worry me.

Ive got an appointment with my doc for the end of the week(earliest I could get).. I just know he'll be pleased to see me!.

Yesterday I didnt take ant lexapro, and the double vision only happened once. Today I didnt take any and so far my vision has been completely normal..

It seems there most likely is a link. But in the meantime it means I go through withdrawl again.

Sorry for the rant guys and the life story!.. just cant sleep and feeling a bit crap!.

It worries me that I might not find a med that agrees with me. Without the meds Im an angry, dark and bleak, bitter person.

I need to find something that works. I thought Id cracked it with Lexapro... but I guess not.

Thanks jt07.. thats good to hear, as I often get the impression that my doc is getting a little fed up with me!.

I was fine on fluoxetine (prozac) for nearly 5 years, with no side effects worth mentioning.

But towards the end I was having to take ever increasing doses to maintain my mood, and he decided it was time for a change and precribed effexor.

It worked really well for me in a psychological sense, but right from day one I was having side effect issues.

For example the first time I took it, I threw it up within an hour.

I stuck with it, but for me the side effects just didnt settle down.. shakes and muscle tremors, blurred vision, headaches, terrible physical fatigue, abdominal upsets,

constantly peeing, terrible constipation!!, and increasing levels of joint pain.

He kept telling me that these side effects are short lived and would pass. And I did feel mentally very good, so I hung in there.

But my nausea increased, I started getting terrible abdominal pain, a wheeze in my chest and neck pain so bad I couldnt sleep.. I kept going back to my doc but I think he thought I was just being a hypochondriac.

I dont recall passing out. I was sitting on the couch next to my wife watching tv.

According to her I just gave out a big long sigh and slid of the couch and flopped onto the floor!.

Woke up in hospital, and was told over the next few days that I was in the middle of a serious allergic reaction that had inflammed my Liver, my kidneys, my stomach and intestines, and my upper respiratory tract.

My blood had been stripped of iron and folic acid, and I was severely anemic, which was the likely cause of me passing out.

They concluded effexor was the cause, but did tell me that it was an extremely rare reaction that effects less that 1% of people.

Im not sure if that was supposed to make me feel special!.

So I had to go cold turkey from effexor, which wasnt actually as bad as Id heard it could be.. and I was referred back to my doc for blood tests and monitoring.

I spent 8 weeks on anti-inflammatories, Iron and Folate meds but no antideppressants, by which time I wasnt feeling so good mentally, but much better physically.

My doc said he'd very carefully considered what to prescribe me next, and gave me Lexapro, as he said it was one of the best tolerated SSRI's on the market.

just a question by anti-inflammatories, you mean NSAIDs right?

• 2 weeks later...

My doc thinks that I wasnt on lexapro long enough, or at a high enough does to conclusively say that it was the cause of the double vision.

Ive had eye tests, etc, etc, and all is well.

He thinks my visual problems are due to anxiety and stress increasing my intraocular pressure.

Maybe he's right. I havent been properly medicated for months now.

I feel awful.. I feel a constant pressure in my head. My ears are ringing, my eyes are bloodshot., things dont look right..

they seem unreal / sureal, almost cartoon like. I sometimes wonder if the worlds real - if im real.. seems like a dream.

Colours are off..theyre either dark and bleak or intensely bright. im trembling almost all the time, and Im staggering about like a drunk.

When i try to sleep, I have nightmares, and I often wake up choking feeling like I cant breathe.

My chest is always tight much of everyday, and my neck aches..my head aches, and buzzes.

People grate on me.. its not their fault, but they just seem too loud, too close to me. My jaw aches from clenching it 24/7.

Constant headaches and dizziness, and pressure in my skull... the blurred vision has continued after stopping the lexapro, so perhaps I did judge it too harshly.

After the bad reaction I had to effexor, I worry about taking other meds.. mabye even paranoid about it. When I was physically ill after effexor, I was off all antidepressants for months.. I thought I didnt need them anymore... I havent been properly mediacted for about 4 months or so now.

I think the side effects of non-medication are clearly starting to outweigh the possible side effects of taking the damn pills.

I dont want to be medicated . I dont want to take anymore damn pills.

But i think i really need to.

Archived