CrazyBoards.org

People who don't know anything SUCK!

Ms. Nico

Sometimes, I just want to scream.

Especially when people who don't know the first thing about MI start spreading their shit / prejudices. It happens to me all the time, even though most casual friends don't even know I am MI myself. So why do they feel the need to bother me with their uninformed opinions? It's getting beyond annoying.

I was at a party on friday, I was so proud I managed to go there because I am pretty depressed at the moment. Somehow, the discussion turned to MI. And one guy just said something like "Paranoid Schizophrenia? WIsh I had that. At least you're never lonely then." I just wanted to scream at him. I can't stand it when people confuse SZ with DID. I hate it! It's a common enough mistake, but it annoys the shit out of me. And I really don't want to be the one to always correct the false opinions of people around me. I'm not ashamed to be ill, but I don't want people I know only casually to know about my issues. I simply don't want to deal with the prejudice. Both SZ and DID are so obviously different, I really don't get why people still think they're one and the same.

This happens to me all the time. I just want to shake anyone who says something like that.

It gets even worse when people try to voice their opinion on depression. "Just pull your shit together", "Everyone gets sad once in a while", "You're just lazy, if you don't want to stay in bed all day, just get up" and so on and so on. I swear, if I'm going to hear this one more time I am simply going ballistic.

How do you deal with that kind of bullshit? Do you try to tell people what it's really like? Or do you ignore it?

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that people who don't have MI will never understand MI so I don't expect anything else from them. It's bad that in our society there is such ignorance, but it is what it is.

Forgive me if I am being stupid, but I think the sz comment was more that you would never be lonely if you're hearing voices all the time. But even then it is still a stupid thing to say. I spent years needing some time alone that I felt I could not get because of my voices.

But yeah these people are stupid. It really sucks how nobody other than those who have been through it (and a very small minority who are willing to educate themselves, but that I guess is more of an academic understanding than actual empathy) understand MI. And people should keep their comments to themselves, especially if they do not know what they are talking about.

@jt07 I'm starting to get pretty resigned to the fact, too. It's probably better than getting angry about it all the time.

@enlightened_plutonian I can understand where you are coming from, but he didn't mean it like that. Here in Germany, DID and SZ are pretty much a synonym, no thanks to quite a lot of "helpful" soap operas. I agree with the fact that people should keep their comments to themselves if they don't understand the first thing about MI (or any other topic, really). It's annoying, and it's belitteling the suffering of people who actually struggle with mental issues if they tell them to "just snap out of it".

I feel the same way. On one hand, I want to be open with people, because how can stigma ever end if people aren't honest? But sometimes I get SO SICK of correcting people's crap that I want to scream brooding.gif

People who don't have to go through it themselves will never understand what it's like to live it. and that applies to every situation with life. You just don't know what it is or what it's like until you've experienced it yourself. Unfortanley, people are also unsympathetic and don't try to learn anything, or are very insensitive. Those people make me angry, but like the saying goes "You can't fix stupid."

i REALLY hate the people to tell you just to "snap out" of depression. They don't even try to understand. They think it's a willpower thing, and it's not. I just either ignore them altogether or tell them something like "you wouldn't tell a person with diabities just to "snap out" of it. It's the same thing.

i'm coming from the other end of the comparison, and YES it totally grinds my gears when people think schiz and DID are the same thing... you're right, TV doesn't help this at ALL. i think this one gets under my skin a little more because i don't feel comfortable speaking up (nobody outside of my family/CB knows).

the "just pull your shit together" attitude is one i unfortunately expect from, well, EVERYONE so i'm learning to tune that one out. i'm more open about the bipolar thing (because i don't work or go to school ATM, and people always wanna know why and i'm getting too old to keep lying heh). it still really sucks though.

MI gets made fun of because it doesn't make sense to people and people don't understand it. It is made fun of because it is not out in the open the way that people say "hey! Cancer's not funny! Yesterday this country lost a great politician to cancer! (or Dad, or Auntie, or what-have-you)" But few people are willing to stand up and say "hey! BP isn't funny! Three of my friends died from it!" let alone "hey! ptsd isn't funny because..."

I am lonely sometimes - and we are multiple. It's not that people get DID confused with schizophrenia. Most people have never heard of DID, and they may only have heard of MPD from Sybil or some other out-of-date thing (although maybe United States of Tara has updated that a bit. Not sure). It's more that people assume that hearing voices means that you are hearing rational voices - because they are not used to the irrational. They can't imagine anything BUT rational voices that make sense and alleviate boredom because that's what they would want and don't know any other option.

Also, there is still a stigma around MI. It's now been pushed onto the meds, but the stigma is still there, so people don't bother to educate themselves even when they have someone with MI around them that they could be supporting.

We usually just say the same sentence back to them, only with heart disease. "Oh, I couldn't get out of bed this morning because my heart is just so diseased!" (depression) or "yeah, my heart was talking to me in the form of severe chest pain. Sorry I missed your party." Sometimes it leads to a discussion. Or just glare and people and say "not cool."

I feel the same way. On one hand, I want to be open with people, because how can stigma ever end if people aren't honest?

This is how I feel. ETA I don't like having to silence myself, but I need to for survival/wellbeing

It gets even worse when people try to voice their opinion on depression. "Just pull your shit together", "Everyone gets sad once in a while", "You're just lazy, if you don't want to stay in bed all day, just get up" and so on and so on. I swear, if I'm going to hear this one more time I am simply going ballistic.

I hear this kind of thing all the time when ppl are talking about depression. They have no idea. ppl think, if it was them, they would be able to think themsleves into mental health and productivitiy.

At dinner the other night with 9 friends, when someone's name came up, the group started commenting on her behavior. She doesn't have MI, as far as I know, but at times she's bright and cheery, and other times more subdued. She just is very expressive and dramatic about things.

So they all began assuming and assigning BP to her, and making up behaviors, and then mocking her; pretending to be her in one of her moods. I just sat quietly and watched the ignorance on parade. I can't take it personally. They're ignorant.

And they don't know I have BP. I hide it very well. When I'm depressed, if someone asks, I "just have a headache." When I'm irritable, "I didn't get much sleep."

They don't understand, so I don't trust them. It's kinda sad I know.

Edited for spelling

Archived