CrazyBoards.org

Hey there.

I'm interested in the individual warning signs of a psychotic episode. Is there a time frame in which you are still able to recognise that something is wrong, and what is it like?

For me, my personal warning signs are insomnia, hearing voices while I fall asleep at night and difficulties telling dreams / imaginary memories from reality. And I get horrible mood swings, too. And I am constantly worried that people might be talking about me.

What is it like for you?

You and I are almost exactly alike in when talking about warning signs. Normally I sleep 12-18 hours a day due to all the pills I am on but when it switches to severe insomnia I know something is wrong. Going from hypersomnia which is my normal sleeping pattern to insomnia sleeping only a couple of hours a night is a major warning sign in me. Then my dreams start acting weird just like you. I have trouble telling dreams from reality and also about the dreams I have dreams within dreams many times over and can't tell if I am awake or sleeping. On top of that I start having thought insertion. It starts off mildly. As the days go on it gets more intense. Then there are changes in my speech patterns. Sometimes I speak fine but other times it is very disorganized and incoherent. Hallucinations are on the increase as well when I am about to become psychotic. I have insight in the beginning but it starts dying off. Psychosis is very scary most of the time for me but I have had one that I enjoyed and that is when I had a delusion that my art was actually worth millions of dollars and I was going to make $100 million a year being an artist. I constantly drew. I was up, up, UP. That if I remember right was in 2008. It lasted 6 months long. I miss being high (not on drugs kind of high). I even smile while psychotic which causes doctors to not believe that I am suffering from anything. I smile and laugh uncontrollably and even at nothing. . Also another warning sign for me is I start staring off into space and not as aware of my surroundings. My heart rate and blood pressure also rises when I am having a psychotic break. There is literally physical proof that I am going through something and that should shut up the doubters! My facial color also changes that I am scared of things. I also become more oversensitive to noises and movement when I am not staring off into space. During this time there are times where I am NOT aware of my surroundings and other times where I am hyper aware of my surroundings. It is weird. I also notice coincidences more and notice the connections in the Universe and think everything relates to me.

insomnia. lack of appetite. nervousness about things I usually don't care about. feeling angry without obvious reason. feeling compelled to do certain things.

the earliest indication for me is unwillingness to maintain hygiene, though. if I don't shower foe more than two days it is a sure bet I am slipping, and fast.

Guest Vapourware

This is a good question. Stress would be a trigger for me, and then apathy and withdrawal would be the early warning signs. Another warning sign for me would be rumination about my situation, and as I progress, my ruminations increase until I find myself in the throes of a psychotic episode.

I am not sure if my insomnia is a warning sign or a trigger. I have always seen it as a trigger, because sleep deprivation can make anyone hallucinate, but it could be either.

But the last 'mini-episode' I had, a couple of months ago, I would start seeing connections in things (like the green man changing to the red man just as I arrive at the crossing, because I have arrived at the crossing). My friends would argue with me more and more, trying to point out where I am wrong, but I do not agree with what they say to me.

It seems to me that whenever my symptoms have gotten worse in the past, a main feature is that the Ringleader will have an ever-increasing part in my life, and I will be ever-increasingly desperate for that to come to an end.

In time my feelings will escalate. Paranoia - anger - injustice - why is this happening to me...

All this comes to me knowing that I am the only one to know true reality, and everyone around me is wrong. 'Psychosis' is just another word that the unenlightened masses use to discredit me, but they know nothing. They are the ones with the problem, not me. All my problem is that I am misunderstood, by people who do not possess the knowledge to understand me.

It is only once I have come out of the episode that I am in a position to know what has actually happened and I can start accepting what other people say to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I sleep very well at night so sleep is only an issue when I realize I dont want to get out of bed, which has been happening a lot lately. I also have my recurring hallucinations of my closet doors opening and closing, the floor moving in waves, and seeing shadows get bigger or smaller. And then there are also delusions I have in which I still have some insight to which they aren't true, but I still believe them.

Unfortunately all of this is happening to me right now.

Archived