CrazyBoards.org

"Expert on Mental Illness Reveals Her Own Fight" NYT

I think Linehan is a great person, a hero and all that, but I continue to wonder (as I said in one of the prior threads about her) what took her so long to come out. I just don't get that part of it. It makes her story and her success more compelliing that she overcame MI.

I think Linehan is a great person, a hero and all that, but I continue to wonder (as I said in one of the prior threads about her) what took her so long to come out. I just don't get that part of it. It makes her story and her success more compelliing that she overcame MI.

i think it has to do with her career. in kay jamison's "unquiet mind" she makes a disclaimer that she has no idea how this information will affect her career. i would guess that a fairly large proportion of mental health professionals have issues with mental health, often in the areas they specialize in. people like linehan and jamison see patients, interact with other researchers and hold positions of leadership in their respective establishments. given the stigma attached to mental illness (even in those establishments) and given the fact that releasing such sensitive information to patients may affect clinician-patient relationships, it's no wonder that "coming out" is hazardous. just like a lot of people have ludicrous beliefs that taking advice from a fat doctor or a doctor who smokes is wrong, similar beliefs exist regarding mental illness. i am sure that these confessions had at least some negative ramifications for these women, which makes their acts even more courageous.

Especially with BPD. Trust me, if you've had some of the experiences with health care PROFESSIONALS who should know better than to treat people with BPD like crap, you'd get why she didn't come out.

But I think a lot of people guessed.

tryp: " . . .if you've had some of the experiences with health care PROFESSIONALS who should know better than to treat people with BPD like crap, you'd get why she didn't come out."

Well, I get that. As I told my pdoc once, when I'm hospitalized, my fears are of the staff and not my fellow inmates. I've seen/known/experienced cruelty and sex abuse from hospital staff.

Edit: Misspelled tryp. It's a wonder I don't have nightmares about my spelling.

Archived