CrazyBoards.org

I was wondering if anyone here had major issues with Seroquel? I tried it a couple days ago..just two days and I couldn't take it anymore. I had restless legs at night (so annoying at one point I was just kicking my feet around anything to make it STOP), nauseus, and I could not get out of bed. I was so tired. I slept all day and unfortunately night (I'm a third shifter). Has anybody gone through this? If so, did they side effects ever go away? I'm going to talk with my psychiatrist tomorrow about it, but I just couldn't keep taking it.

I'm not sure if it matters but this is also what I am on;

Klonopin

Lamictal

Lithium

Prozac

Thanks in advance!

i've had issues with seroquel in the past, you may want to talk about taking a lower dose? i've never heard of someone starting off on 300mg of seroquel, seeing as 200mg is the peak sedating dose. but it didnt knock you out like a club... which is strange.

i would suggest talking about lowering the dosage, but if its for a mood thing, personality thing or hallucinations you may want to look into zyprexa.

i've had issues with seroquel in the past, you may want to talk about taking a lower dose? i've never heard of someone starting off on 300mg of seroquel, seeing as 200mg is the peak sedating dose. but it didnt knock you out like a club... which is strange.

i would suggest talking about lowering the dosage, but if its for a mood thing, personality thing or hallucinations you may want to look into zyprexa.

Thanks for the info! It doesn't surprise me that a dose that knocks some out doesn't me...I feel like I can be on more meds than a horse and still be standing! It's for my moods. I'm going to look up Zyprexa. My Dr is pretty cool when it comes to talking things out and different options. Thanks to both of you!!

I take Seroquel. The biggest side effect I had was the sedation, but that did reduce in time. I still sleep what would probably be termed 'a lot', but it is manageable for me. I would say that the first few weeks are the worst there. I started on 300mg but am now on 600mg, and I take the XR version all at night.

I did also have the initial nausea, that lasted probably the first couple of weeks. It was annoying and made me eat even less than I already do (I have a poor appetite, but it is healthy for me), but I could cope with it when I realised it should pass. And it did pass for me.

Weight gain is a common side effect, but I have not experienced this.

In time my side effects definitely have reduced, and I am happy on my meds now. My anxiety has greatly reduced, and I am pretty much guaranteed a good nights sleep (which is important to me, because sleep deprivation triggers my psychosis).

I'm on Seroquel 400mg. I sleep better, but it didn't knock me on my butt either. I too have the RSL and it's horrible sometimes. I put a bar of Ivory soap under my bottom sheet and it does seem to help, even if it's all in my mind, I don't care, it's working! I also read that if you eat a banana it can help too, but I haven't tried that out yet.

Just to reply to this - it depends what you're taking Seroquel for. Around 300 mg is a reasonable starting dose for mood shit (particularly depression), while lower doses are more for sleep and higher doses more for psychosis/knocking down mania, if I recall correctly. According to the prescriber, Seroquel maxes out at 800 mg, so for someone with bipolar disorder, 300 mg is not out of the ordinary, assuming that it's being used for more than just sleep.

I have found Seroquel to be a godsend both for my mood, and also for my anxiety, sleep, and personality problems. For me, the side effects mostly wore off after a month or so. If you are NOT using it for sleep, you might want to look into switching to the extended release form, which can be a bit less sedating.

Edited by tryp

Hello-

I did talk with my dr. I told her that I went off the medication and she seemed upset with me. She told me to go down to 150 mg. I have since. I am not nauseous anymore. I'm still incredibly tired and can sleep 16+ hours. Normally I only sleep 5-6 hours. I must say i'm not as down as I was before but now I just feel kind of blah. Also my joints really hurt. Especially my hips. Anyone else have this? I'm still not sold on this medication- the house is turning into a mess because I'm sleeping and not cleaning and I'm afraid my husbands at his wits end. Sigh. Sorry I'm venting (felt kind of good!). Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate them.

When I started Seroquel XR I used to get really dizzy and nauseous, with rapid heartbeat and postural hypotension (drop in blood pressure when standing up). I also had severe restless legs that made me want to cry and I also was very sedated. However with time this all disappeared. I will still suffer sedation/hangover effect the following morning if I take Seroquel XR late at night. So ensuring that I take it no later than 8pm practically eliminates this. I still have issues with getting out of bed in the morning but this is mostly behavioural rather than medication induced!! I also gained about 10 pounds but nipped this in the butt and joined a slimming group and have lost it all again. I just need to really watch what I eat and take regular exercise. I still occasionally have Restless Legs but it is relatively mild and very infrequent. The benefits of taking Seroquel XR far outweighs any side effects I have. I stopped taking it last Summer under supervision from my pdoc, because I had gained a huge amount of weight and had raised cholesterol levels. I stopped sleeping and as a result became manic, mixed and then depressed in August and was hospitalised for 2 months. I was never really that well for a long time and was hospitalised during the months of Jan, Feb, March and April this year, as my mood was seriously unstable going from manic highs to suicidal depressions. It was only when I started back on Seroquel XR that my mood finally stabilized and I have been very well since early May and even plan on returning to college in Sept. Yes, it can have many annoying side effects but in my opinion it's a great medication and it's worth sitting out the initial bad side effects. These lessen and often disappear.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello-

I did talk with my dr. I told her that I went off the medication and she seemed upset with me. She told me to go down to 150 mg. I have since. I am not nauseous anymore. I'm still incredibly tired and can sleep 16+ hours. Normally I only sleep 5-6 hours. I must say i'm not as down as I was before but now I just feel kind of blah. Also my joints really hurt. Especially my hips. Anyone else have this? I'm still not sold on this medication- the house is turning into a mess because I'm sleeping and not cleaning and I'm afraid my husbands at his wits end. Sigh. Sorry I'm venting (felt kind of good!). Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate them.

Hey guys- Since this I have completely gone off the seroquel. I practically begged my Dr. Now I got a call from my pharmacy today stating they finally got my medication in. I thought my Dr upped my Lithium (still waiting on blood test results and Dr on a lot of vacation). I called them and they said no it was for Seroquil XR. Sooo.. is there a big difference? I understand the XR is time released. Would this have helped me more with my symptoms? If the pharmacy gave me the regular and not the XR and the DR didn't know it... now I'm starting to think maybe I should be asking about it? At this point I'll try anything. My husband had to stay at home today and "watch" me. It was either that or go into the hospital and I won't do it. Thanks in advance

• 9 months later...

I have been on seroquil xr and i have to say it is totally diffrent then the regular stuff.. altho you do not sleep nearly any where as much as you do with the regular version i have to let you know the side effects for me were much more obvious.. nausia .. sleeplessness.. dizzy loss of blood preasure.. you will feel kinda tired from 150 mil. lay down sleep for n hr and your fine.. its 24 hr release and works pretty damn well .. but the side effects which bother me most are the loss of hearing.. feels like im in high elevation.. it gets cloudy and loss of taste .. not to mention partial blacking out here and there.. DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH THIS.. it drops blood pressure worse then anything i have ever taken .. but .. please try it i think it will help in your situation.. .. good luck hun.. .- Marko

I've been taking Seroquel for over 13 years, currently on 800mgs but have gone as high as 1200 mgs when I was first put on it. I see now that you are taking the XR version, I was on that for awhile. I found the XR version to be much less sedating than the regular version but I decided to go back on the regular version as I wasn't sleeping on the XR. Also, the XR did not control my symptoms as much as the regular version but that's just me. I find Seroquel in general to be very good for my psychotic symptoms, I hope it works out for you.