CrazyBoards.org

Transdermal Sedatives?

Hiya...

I have a LOT of problems with my sleep- my p/doc and I have tried a lot of different meds to try and sort this, but none have worked. I am currently taking the maximum reccomended dose of Zopiclone AND the maximum reccomended dose of Midazolam, yet they barely do anything... I had Gastric Bypass in Jan 2010, and my MH Nurse has today mentioned that she's wondering if the op has caused issues with pill absorbtion, so we're going to bring that up with the p/doc in my next appointment, and ask if there are any transdermal sedative patches available in NZ that I can try so it skips the gastric absorbtion phase... I'd really like to turn up to that appointment with some of my own ideas to put forward and have some idea of the drugs he might talk about, so my questions to you guys are: have any of you had Gastric Bypass (or similar weight loss surgery) and had this problem? If yes, how did you overcome this? Also, even if you haven't had the surgery, have any of you tried transdermal sedatives? If yes, what have you tried? I've done a quick Google, and the only one I can find is Fentanyl which is also used as management of chronic pain relief... which apparently takes 8-12 hours to take effect, which obviously isn't suitable to use on a day to day basis for sedation...

So yeah, if anyone can chuck some names on transdermal sedatives so I could do some research, make myself prepared before I see my p/doc, I'd be really greatful! Thanks!

to bring that up with the p/doc in my next appointment, and ask if there are any transdermal sedative patches available in NZ that I can try so it skips the gastric absorbtion phase.

Anything taken sublingually, lingually, or bucally in general bypasses gastric absorption too. I do not know the authoritative locations to look, but sublingual lorazepam and/or sublingual clonazepam would be my guess as a good place to start. I find buccal administration gives the fastest reliable delivery of Zyprexa Zydis.

to bring that up with the p/doc in my next appointment, and ask if there are any transdermal sedative patches available in NZ that I can try so it skips the gastric absorbtion phase.

Anything taken sublingually, lingually, or bucally in general bypasses gastric absorption too. I do not know the authoritative locations to look, but sublingual lorazepam and/or sublingual clonazepam would be my guess as a good place to start. I find buccal administration gives the fastest reliable delivery of Zyprexa Zydis.

Hey RR, thanks I never even thought about sublingually, lingually or bucally! Zyprexa Zydis- just did a quick Google, that's an anti-psychotic from what I can see, does it have sedative side effects? I'm not sure if I would be able to take that as I have blood sugar issues and I see it says it's not reccomended for people with Diabetes :mellow: Lorazepam or Clonazepam would definately be a possibility though!

Hey RR, thanks I never even thought about sublingually, lingually or bucally! Zyprexa Zydis- just did a quick Google, that's an anti-psychotic from what I can see, does it have sedative side effects? I'm not sure if I would be able to take that as I have blood sugar issues and I see it says it's not reccomended for people with Diabetes :mellow: Lorazepam or Clonazepam would definately be a possibility though!

I would not recommend Zyprexa to anyone without psychosis. I just used it as an example as it is something I have experience with. If you are psychotic and you know it, then Zyprexa may help your anxiety. Otherwise, benzodiazepines may be a better choice.

Gastric bypass surgery can modify the behavior of your gastro-intestinal tract. Transdermal patches and sublingual (orally dissolving) medication bypass first pass metabolism and due not depend on the stomach and intestines for absorption.

With orally dissolving pills/tablets, holding the saliva in your mouth for 10 minutes works well, but I find buccal administration to more slowly dissolve the tablet and it seems to improve the absorption. The same could be done with liquid preparations of various medications. My understanding is most if not all pills will be absorbed lingualy.

They also sell tablet crushers and pill pulverizers that might help transform non-orally dissolving tablets into powder. Just beware, some meds taste bad, and some will literally burn your tongue if they touch it.

Talk with your doctor for advice on how best to approach this.

Hey, sorry I misunderstood, thought you were reccomending Z-Z as a sedative. Yep, Benzos were more in line with what I was thinking.

Will be talking to p/doc about the different options- not too keen on the idea of crushing regular pills as I have quite a strong gag reflex and even the idea of that is making me gag lol, although I did talk to my MH Nurse about crushing and snorting my Zopiclone... she said she didn't think that was a very good idea, fairynuff.. will see what the p/doc says!

Thanks for your input RR :)

Archived