CrazyBoards.org

something positive to say about clozapine

instead of saying bad stuff and whinging about this or that antipsychotic i'd like to mention something about one of my observations.

clozapine. first came out in the 1970's. withdrawn and taken off the market voluntarily by the drug company coz of some patients that were on it had their blood count messed up and unfortunately die. came back in the 1990's when discovered the best for schizophrenics who dont respond to other anti-psychotics and claimed the best. and till now yes still the best. so its been around a loooong time. i havent seen or heard of anyone getting TD from it. its been around that long im sure that someone would have reported it. i havent.

i honestly dont think clozapine can cause TD.

any comments? thoughts? anyone agree with me?

Clozapine is the best atypical anti-psychcotic I have taken , and I have taken most of them. Of course this doesnt mean it will work for everyone, unfortunately.

For me, a low dose of 200mg really works well for my schizophrenia. (The dosage range is 25mg-->1000mg).

It probably causes some weight gain, but not as badly as olanzapine does. It is often prescribed for treatment resistant sz, and for many people like me, it works better than the other AAPs. THe blood tests are a pain in the ass. I have my first monthly test tomorrow morning (up until now its been weekly). They also take your vitals (blood count, blood pressure, heart rate, immune system).

But its all worth it.

As for td, I have no idea. I havent heard any bad things.

Clozapine saved my life.

It's the only anti-psychotic which has worked well for me without having any terrible side effects.

I would recommend it to someone who was/is treatment resistant like me.

The blood tests are a pain, but its all worth it for me.

Cheers

GC

I find that Clozaril (clozapine) works well not only for the hallucinations I use to get (I had visual hallucinations where I'd see roaches on the floor or spiders and the corners of the room, & at it's worst I saw McDonalds characters), and it also works for me to calm down manic symptoms such as irritability and inability to sleep.

Because I've been on Clozaril over a year, I only have to do the blood tests once a month, but the once a month blood test is worth not having my previous symptoms.

Before Clozaril, I was going in and out of the hospital on a monthly or bimonthly basis. Since starting and titrating on Clozaril, I've only been in the hospital 3 times (2 back to back) in 2010. I've been out of the hospital since Nov. 15, 2010.

I also no longer get suicidal thoughts, which would always accompany my symptoms so I'm glad for that added bonus as well.

If you have further questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Best of luck with your treatment.

My pdoc told me today he may be switching me to cloz. I've heard great things about it, but mostly I've heard how it helps positivre syumptoms, better than other APs. What about negative symptoms? Does it have a reputation for handling negative sympotoms better than other AAP's? Thanks to everyone who chimed in above. You guys actually answered some questions I had that just came up today

ETA also, how about for resistant depressed mood

My pdoc told me today he may be switching me to cloz. I've heard great things about it, but mostly I've heard how it helps positivre syumptoms, better than other APs. What about negative symptoms? Does it have a reputation for handling negative sympotoms better than other AAP's? Thanks to everyone who chimed in above. You guys actually answered some questions I had that just came up today

ETA also, how about for resistant depressed mood

I dont think cloz helps greatly with depressed mood. From a psychological perspective, your mood will be elevated if you are feeling better; ie less symptoms.

There is a relationship between positive and negative symptoms; you are more likely to experience negative symptoms if you have positive symptoms as well.

Other than that, you are really talking about needing an anti-depressant, in my opinion. eg I take cloz for my schizophrenia, and I take prozac for my depressed/anxious mood. Obviously the cloz indirectly elevates my mood as I am feeling better, and it has some effect on anxiety anyway.

I dont really like the idea of dr's prescribing a drug like cloz for depression, treatment resistant or not. Its a really serious drug, and should not be taken lightly. Having said that, if you google "cloazapine, treatment resistant depression" there are some articles showing that the drug has worked well for treatment resistant depression.

I should clarify. I should have put my ADs in my sig (fixing now). I have been on these AD's, at these dosages, for about 7 yrs. They're haven't worked for me. Re SZA I don't have prominent hallucinations or delusions but do have disorganization sx and my pdoc's opinion is that my negative symptoms are strong. To me the negative symptoms and the depression are the most disabling. The Geodon is apparently not working for the sz. I am looking for something that will heopfully deal with both depression and Sz symptoms, but my doctor's motivation for maybe putting me on cloz is for the Sz. In exploring that I was hoping cloz might somehow be a global fix and that was where I was going with my quyestions. Sorry if I;'m hijacking the original post

While its different for everyone, the only negative symptom I remember having was social difficulties. I either couldn't express myself in an effective way or I wouldn't communicate my needs at all. Since starting Clozaril and with the aid of therapy, I've become a more effective communicator. I do also notice that my mood is more even and more predictable with Clozaril.

i also might go for clozapine,but i dunno , i m afriad that rg1678 is out soon,and it can treat negative symptom(as this is my main 1s and most bothering 1s),right now i m taking sarcosine,i wonder any1 here tried it b4??

congratulation to netsavy,my problem is just like u i have social difficulties,coulden express myself and woulden communicate my needs and i also jad a dysforic mood always,but i really want to go for clozapine,but i m afriad my dad just doesnt allow me to do that :(

I just read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clozapine

"Clozapine works well against positive (e.g., delusions, hallucinations) and negative (e.g. emotional and social withdrawal) symptoms of schizophrenia[citation needed]. It has no dyscognitive effect often seen with other psychoactive drugs and is even able to increase the capabilities of the patient to react to this environment and thereby fosters social rehabilitation".

so chipmaster,has it helped with ur negative symptom,since i m sure clozapine is definetly effective against postivie symptom but not too sure of negative symptom(social and emotional withdrawal)?

Thats a good question and I dont really know the answer. Its hard to differentiate between depression and the negative symptoms of sz. I a also on prozac so that further complicates the question.

I would say that cloz is better than olanzapine for both positive and negative symptoms. Abilify is probably the best Ive had for negative symptoms, but cloz is so much better for the positive symptoms.

Does that help at all?

Archived