CrazyBoards.org

Going back to pdoc

As predicted, my little adventure off meds has not ended well. After less than 2 weeks med-free, I ended up having a major meltdown on Saturday. Fortunately, I was with very understanding friends. I speak with my tdoc tonight and I have an appointment with my pdoc tomorrow. Time to try another medication(s). In the meantime, I'm trying to just get through without losing my job or what's left of my sanity. I'm very frightened for my chances. I'm hearing voices again and I've had several friends tell me I've gone catatonic (it just feels like a space-out for a bit, catatonia seems a bit of an extreme diagnosis). Does anyone have any advice for holding things together while you wait for meds to kick in? Should I take off from work to minimize my chances of having a problem?

Hopefully your pdoc can help you to get your symptoms under control quickly. It can be really hard to work while you're having lots of symptoms (I've been there). If you feel like work would be too difficult right now (or that you might do something to get yourself fired), and you can afford to take a few days off, maybe do that. It might take you a while to get stabilized, so if you are pretty sure you can handle going to work, maybe you should go in case you need to take days off in the near future. I know when I was having symptoms after going off of meds, I went to work as much as possible and ended up having to take a few days off after getting back on meds due to side effects. I dunno what to tell you, it kind of depends on your individual situation, but I understand having to make your job a priority. You've just got to do what you think is best for you, I hope you start feeling better soon.

Just keep in mind that once you go completely off your meds, it takes awhile for the new meds to kick in once you start them. Sometimes its as if you never took the pmeds before. Think about this the next time you or someone else wants you to quit all your meds.

At least you only waited two weeks off meds before going back on. Don't worry, you aren't the first or last person to do this. I hope you get feeling better soon.

I am sorry this is happening Twilight, though lots of people posted to discourage this.

You wrote on another thread that Lithium was effective but there was another med which conflicted?

What was the contraindication?

I took Lithium with an NSAID for two years - which technically is not recommended. But there was never a problem with my blood level. It was not an issue - and my doctor watched it carefully. My point is that finding a mood stabilizer which really works for you is a wonderful thing, and to reevaluate this with your doctor.

I hope you see your doctor soon. Hang in there.

I took Lithium with an NSAID for two years - which technically is not recommended. But there was never a problem with my blood level. It was not an issue - and my doctor watched it carefully. My point is that finding a mood stabilizer which really works for you is a wonderful thing, and to reevaluate this with your doctor.

From what my pdoc told me, ibuprofen increases lithium serum levels by 150%. So if you factor that into the dose you take, it is entirely possible to take NSAIDS with lithium. I did it all the time (with dr. ok)

I am seeing my pdoc tonight at 5:45. I have spoke with my tdoc yesterday, and she said she is hopeful we can resolve my other issue and it may be possible to resume the lithium in the future. At this point, I'd rather not say what the medication is, but, it is not an NSAID. My tdoc is also saying that BPII may not be the correct diagnosis. I may have BPI or possibly schizoaffective disorder. I'm very frightened of what that would mean.

I am seeing my pdoc tonight at 5:45. I have spoke with my tdoc yesterday, and she said she is hopeful we can resolve my other issue and it may be possible to resume the lithium in the future. My tdoc is also saying that BPII may not be the correct diagnosis. I may have BPI or possibly schizoaffective disorder. I'm very frightened of what that would mean.

Don't be frightened. You are getting professional help, and there is a lot of support for you here. There are people on this board who work, function, live their lives well with schza. And, if that is your diagnosis, well you are already LIVING your life with it. Now you can get it treated and things get better. Don't be frightened of a diagnostic label.

Well, I had my appt. with my pdoc this evening. He has me trying a new medication, zyprexa at 5mg. I'm taking my first dose as I type this. The pill dissolves very fast. At this point, I need to come to terms with the possibility that I'm paranoid schizophrenic. I'm not sure how to handle that. I'll be taking the next week off from work. I am not being hospitalized, but I my pdoc and tdoc will be speaking to me every few days and a group of very good friends will be with me every day.

I would take a deep breath.

Sometimes diagnosis are sort of tossed around, evaluated, then changed if the patient gets a second opinion.

What ever you are told if no carved in stone.

Did your doctor specifically tell you that you have paranoid schizophrenia??

how exactly did your situation go from bipolar 2 to paranoid schizophrenic in one month??

Diagnostic criteria for 295.30 Paranoid Type

A type of Schizophrenia in which the following criteria are met:

A. Preoccupation with one or more delusions or frequent auditory

hallucinations.

B. None of the following is prominent: disorganized speech, disorganized

or catatonic behavior, or flat or inappropriate affect.

The DSM has a discussion of the types, if you have access.

My pdoc won't come right out and diagnose me, he kinda talks about 'possibilities' without saying anything specific. Is it important that I get an exact diagnosis? Is it possible that he's just messing with me? Maybe I'm not anything, and he's just laughing at me? I quit my meds previously because I thought they were messing me up. Do you think I didn't give them enough time to clear my system? I'm off from work for at least the next week. I'm having trouble concentrating.

You've got to give it time. Maybe your pdoc just isn't sure exactly of your diagnosis, and is trying to make sure he knows what he is before making the diagnosis official? No matter what the exact diagnosis is, they are obviously trying to treat your symptoms with the Zyprexa and that's what matters...treating the symptoms.

My pdoc won't come right out and diagnose me, he kinda talks about 'possibilities' without saying anything specific. Is it important that I get an exact diagnosis? Is it possible that he's just messing with me? Maybe I'm not anything, and he's just laughing at me? I quit my meds previously because I thought they were messing me up. Do you think I didn't give them enough time to clear my system? I'm off from work for at least the next week. I'm having trouble concentrating.

You seem to be worrying. I am confident he is not laughing at you or messing with you. It took a long time for my pdoc to finally give a definitive diagnosis. I consider it a good sign that your pdoc is being careful enough with you not to jump to conclusions. You see, he needs longitudinal evidence: he needs to see how your symptoms play out over a period of time. He's not being specific because he doesn't know yet. He's being a responsible pdoc. It's a fluid process. I think most pdocs would say that diagnoses can change over time and are not set in stone, and a patient's presentation also can change over time. So give him the time he needs to gather longitudinal evidence. Right now, "possibilities" are all that exist. As for meds, I would say take them exactly as prescribed. And if side effects are intolerable, then discuss it with him. I hope you feel better

Also, Just because a person is given a schizophrenia diagnosis doesn't require that they will ever be given a "type." Lots of sz's/sza's don't fit a type. If a type fits, it fits. If it doesn't fit, you aren't the type, or any type. There's no rule that says you have to fit into one of the types. It isn't done that way. But let the pdoc make that determination.

Does anyone have any advice for holding things together while you wait for meds to kick in? Should I take off from work to minimize my chances of having a problem?

Main things is I would Do whatever you can to minimize (or at least postpone) stressful situations, until the meds have a chance to kick in. Take care of yourself, eat well sleep well if you can

Archived